Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USA Today Article on the SBC

UL Football USA Today Article on the SBC

All broad-stroke statements are relative. Keep this in mind as I make the following claim: The Sun Belt Conference has never been better.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...5e27d31fc02499

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: USA Today Article on the SBC

I don't see a lot to argue with here.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    I don't see a lot to argue with here.
    I could argue with the best case scenarios for both Georgia Southern and Louisiana. A nine win maximum for either of these teams is selling both a little short

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_RH View Post
    I could argue with the best case scenarios for both Georgia Southern and Louisiana. A nine win maximum for either of these teams is selling both a little short
    Agreed, seems like an overly cautious best case scenario for both teams

Two very interesting observations:

1. "The Sun Belt Conference has never been better."
    and
    2. "Yet this is the best collection of teams in the brief and largely trivial history of the Sun Belt..."
    I can't recall where, but this is the second person this pre-season to make such observations.
    I do NOT want to pick the yet to begin healing scab of CUSA membership, but I would be curious to know what others on this board have heard about this year's CUSA members and the overall quality of that conference.

Multiple consecutive 9 win seasons are tough to do. I like that as a program we want to acheive more but 9 wins is nothing to scoff at.

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    Two very interesting observations:

1. "The Sun Belt Conference has never been better."
    and
    2. "Yet this is the best collection of teams in the brief and largely trivial history of the Sun Belt..."
    I can't recall where, but this is the second person this pre-season to make such observations.
    I do NOT want to pick the yet to begin healing scab of CUSA membership, but I would be curious to know what others on this board have heard about this year's CUSA members and the overall quality of that conference.
    Here's Myerberg's piece on C-USA

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...view/31455167/

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Comparing this article to his on SBC indicates to me that he believes the SBC is stronger and has more potential than CUSA. I must say I am surprised.
    This is leading me to evolve regarding my long, LONG desire to get to CUSA.
    I am starting to get behind those who say that the AAC should be our goal.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Comparing this article to his on SBC indicates to me that he believes the SBC is stronger and has more potential than CUSA. I must say I am surprised.
    AAC or MWC

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    AAC or MWC
    SBC...cause we comfy.

AAC should be our goal..but will be a lot easier getting there via CUSA...

And to me this whole "who is stronger" SBC or CUSA is a moot point...it should be about which schools we want to be associated with.

How is CUSA the easier way to AAC? Current conference affiliation isn't that big of a factor IMO. The difference maker is the relationships with conference officials and being ready for AAC competition. SBC and CUSA are almost the same character at this juncture in college athletics. Been saying this for 3 years.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    SBC...cause we comfy.
    ....(-).... stop it!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    How is CUSA the easier way to AAC? Current conference affiliation isn't that big of a factor IMO. The difference maker is the relationships with conference officials and being ready for AAC competition. SBC and CUSA are almost the same character at this juncture in college athletics. Been saying this for 3 years.
    Simple. Perception. Perception. Perception. Name the last CUSA school to come to the Belt?

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns4me View Post
    Simple. Perception. Perception. Perception.
    Perception is for fans and writers. Athletes are more concerned about TV exposure than conference affiliation. While perception may play a small role in board rooms, the decision makers don't put nearly the amount of stock in perception as we do. If ACC wants to expand, the top 5 things that will sway Presidents and commish does not include perception.

It doesn't matter if you have the right person selling us... But we don't

Simple. Perception. Perception. Perception. Name the last CUSA school to come to the Belt?
    That's true, but I think the landscape is changing, and changing fast. I believe that when the AAC or the MWC is looking for new members in the future, your current address will factor very little. Schools will be judged on an individual basis as to what they can bring to the table in things other than the old litmus test of market size. In this new paradigm, we are rising rapidly while some CUSA schools are stuck in the mud.

The time to play the perception game was 10 years ago when the WAC came calling.

Perception is for fans and writers. Athletes are more concerned about TV exposure than conference affiliation. While perception may play a small role in board rooms, the decision makers don't put nearly the amount of stock in perception as we do. If ACC wants to expand, the top 5 things that will sway Presidents and commish does not include perception.
    Point taken. But again, I ask you, name the last team to jump from the CUSA to the Belt? Now, if we're talking about a reshuffling of sorts of the conferences geographically, then it becomes more about who you know I think.

Point taken. But again, I ask you, name the last team to jump from the CUSA to the Belt? Now, if we're talking about a reshuffling of sorts of the conferences geographically, then it becomes more about who you know I think.
    I think the reason for that had more to do with the CUSA TV contract and NCAA tourney revenue versus the SBC's revenues than with perception.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast