Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More UAB Troubles?

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default More UAB Troubles?

The article indicates the mayor may come back this week to add funding but so far the promised subsidy is not in the city budget.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...s_not_inc.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    The article indicates the mayor may come back this week to add funding but so far the promised subsidy is not in the city budget.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...s_not_inc.html
    What an incredible fraud. It still amazes me that CUSA fell for it.

Default Re: More UAB Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    Started going back thru the links in the articles.

Birmingham's budget year started July 1, so they've been operating off of last year's budget.

Finally adopted it (15/16 budget) last week.

I'm assuming the $500k would have been to help run the program (but $500k for a $30 million athletic budget???). Can't see where the City would want to continue this in perpetuity.

Reading some stuff on the UAB athletic budget, looks like the University decreased its subsidy this year. Again, why would the City want to help plug that hole?

If the Council passed a resolution endorsing the idea and the Mayor didn't include it his budget proposal (a process which prolly started in January), I'd call shenanigans.

It's always easier to take the money out during the process rather than add it once the budget has been adopted (especially for operations).

They all knew this. CUSA got took.

I'll say it again... CUSA- what a dumpster fire. I was HUGE on us getting out of the Sunbelt (still am) and would have jumped at the chance to join CUSA. After this UAB fiasco, I'm not so sure.

Why can't we just get the city, individuals, and several businesses to make fake pledges to get our budget up to around 50 million, then we can join the Big 12?

I'll start, I will make a fake pledge of a cool million.

lolly polly told them they would be at 25 million 2 years ago HAHAHAHa

Quote Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
    I'll say it again... CUSA- what a dumpster fire. I was HUGE on us getting out of the Sunbelt (still am) and would have jumped at the chance to join CUSA. After this UAB fiasco, I'm not so sure.
    Dumpster fire, Really?!! That's slightly over the top, don't you think? It's time to let go of all the animosity. Besides this ongoing UAB drama, CUSA is solid & doing great....you know this. CUSA is prob your only lifeline outta THE BELT vortex of mediocrity..Unless Big 12 comes calling, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
    That "dumpster fire" is our only hope of getting out of the Sun Belt any time soon. I'm hoping the City of Birmingham does indeed renege on its pledge to UAB athletics. The sooner CUSA kicks UAB out, the sooner a spot opens up for UL.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    That "dumpster fire" is our only hope of getting out of the Sun Belt any time soon. I'm hoping the City of Birmingham does indeed renege on its pledge to UAB athletics. The sooner CUSA kicks UAB out, the sooner a spot opens up for UL.
    UL? Did we send them another PowerPoint? Oh that's right, we don't need to talk about that because there is no opening.

Of course, SoAl is likely working overtime on CUSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    There's absolutely no guarantee that a spot would open for the Cajuns if UAB is forced out, and honestly, I'd hope we have our sights set significantly higher than what I would consider mostly a lateral move in conference affiliation.

We comfy here...UAB can do whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    There's absolutely no guarantee that a spot would open for the Cajuns if UAB is forced out, and honestly, I'd hope we have our sights set significantly higher than what I would consider mostly a lateral move in conference affiliation.
    CUSA today is SBC version 2.0 .....of course the SBC today is Southland version 2.0 so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    CUSA today is SBC version 2.0 .....of course the SBC today is Southland version 2.0 so.....
    Don't know what the final costs would be to make such a move, but I think it'd be in the $3MM range. Spending $3MM to stop playing a bunch of Sunbelt teams so we can go to another conference to play a bunch of Sunbelt teams just doesn't seem like a wise investment to me. Not at this time at least. Not when we're demonstrating each year what we're capable of. For now, I'd rather see those funds plowed into our baseball and softball programs and stadium expansion. And then there's the issue of those bricks, of course.

Don't know what the final costs would be to make such a move, but I think it'd be in the $3MM range. Spending $3MM to stop playing a bunch of Sunbelt teams so we can go to another conference to play a bunch of Sunbelt teams just doesn't seem like a wise investment to me. Not at this time at least. Not when we're demonstrating each year what we're capable of. For now, I'd rather see those funds plowed into our baseball and softball programs and stadium expansion. And then there's the issue of those bricks, of course.
    Just for the record we are playing a bunch of former SLC schools or the like right now. So getting back to the old SBC teams would be good but I would view it as a stepping stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Why can't we just get the city, individuals, and several businesses to make fake pledges to get our budget up to around 50 million, then we can join the Big 12?

I'll start, I will make a fake pledge of a cool million.
    I'll see your $1 million and raise it another $1 million. Since there doesnt seem to be any accountability for this, just like that we've already raised $3 million.

Who needs an RCAF director now?

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ragin' Cajuns Re: More UAB Troubles?

I'll see your $1 million and raise it another $1 million. Since there doesnt seem to be any accountability for this, just like that we've already raised $3 million.

Who needs an RCAF director now?
    Pikers. I will pledge a dollar for dollar match for all $3 million you two have pledged; payable when your checks totalling $3 million clear the bank.

There you go. $6 million raised in less than 2 hours.

This fundraising thing is simple.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Pikers. I will pledge a dollar for dollar match for all $3 million you two have pledged; payable when your checks totalling $3 million clear the bank.

There you go. $6 million raised in less than 2 hours.

This fundraising thing is simple.
    I'll see your 6mil and match that.

"12mil total."

Done here. Now we can just go independent and be the next Notre Dame.

MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    I'm assuming the $500k would have been to help run the program (but $500k for a $30 million athletic budget???). Can't see where the City would want to continue this in perpetuity.
    We are talking about less than 2% of their budget. If that breaks them they have bigger problems. I do think they have bigger problems. I was not directing this at you Monkee, just using your post to support my comment.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We need to
    A: Quit worrying about UAB
    B: Quit worrying about the next conference shakeup we're very happy in the SBC
    C: Recognize the next SBC team to CUSA is USA. Followed by GaSouthern, TxSt, GaSt.

In plain words just get used to this. We know Boomer is on board with his blind allegiance to anyone with UL Lafayette in their job title.

Step #1 is CUSA. I don't think the AAC would ever invite a sitting Sun Belt member. Move to CUSA, then start the process of posturing for membership in the AAC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast