Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by TCbacker54 View Post
    I would be willing to be that any time the stickers will draw attention this season, the commentators will be discussing the tragedy and not the University's naming issue. If anything, it will garner a positive review for the University and just how strong and supportive this community is.
    I will go farther and virtually guarantee you no announcer will bring up the naming issue.

"The University" will gain much credibility, but no one will know who "the University" is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    Hammer,
    Come on. Two people of our community were slain in a senseless act. The football team chooses to honor them and this thread ends up as a discussion of how it affects out branding.
    I think the whole name thing should take a back seat in this instance.
    Just my opinion.
    Sorry if I came off as being overly sensitive and politically correct.
    "Lafayette Strong" is 100% about branding the community.

Murder victims Jillian Johnson, and Mayci Breaux and the other near miss victims are not mentioned in "Lafayette Strong."

This is inescapably about branding.

HoustonCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

If I heard it correctly, I think that in the news conference HUD quickly referenced Acadiana after saying Lafayette

I think that there can be very little doubt that HUD wants Louisiana, UL, or Ragin' Cajuns only!!!

Our brand has become Ragin Cajuns, not Louisiana. We may be the only school in the country branded by its moniker than its name. Hud may want any of the three, but he only wears Ragin Cajuns gear and all of our press conferences have nothing but Ragin Cajuns everywhere. You don't brand yourself as Louisiana, then proceed to never use the name.

Is this thread for real?

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Is this thread for real?
    I'm out of this one. I applaud UL and our football team in it's effort to honor
    those involved in a tragic incident.

Blog Entries

I'm out of this one. I applaud UL and our football team in it's effort to honor
    those involved in a tragic incident.
    I think its great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Nothing short of a Bruce -Caitlyn transformation could prevent that
    Since you opened that door.

Will the person you spoke of be able to enjoy the passions of love as a woman? Anyone know?

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Hammer,
    Come on. Two people of our community were slain in a senseless act. The football team chooses to honor them and this thread ends up as a discussion of how it affects our branding.
    Just my opinion.
    Not trying to downplay the loss. And I don't have a problem with the team honoring their memory. As for the thread, it is a sports message board and considering the issues we have had with the name in the past I can understand the connection. I actually thought it myself but decided against bringing it up.

As for my response, I thought you were getting on him about the phrase he used. If I misinterpreted that I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion. I just find our society hyper sensitive and too many people act like their lives can't continue because of a word or phrase uttered by someone else.

Used to be "Stick and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me." Now it seems it's "sticks and stones can break my bones but words are worse than bamboo under my fingernails and hot coals on my tender bits. I can't go on my life is over because of what that person said....oh woe is me...." Rant off

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Not trying to downplay the loss. And I don't have a problem with the team honoring their memory. As for the thread, it is a sports message board and considering the issues we have had with the name in the past I can understand the connection. I actually thought it myself but decided against bringing it up.

As for my response, I thought you were getting on him about the phrase he used. If I misinterpreted that I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion. I just find our society hyper sensitive and too many people act like their lives can't continue because of a word or phrase uttered by someone else.

Used to be "Stick and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me." Now it seems it's "sticks and stones can break my bones but words are worse than bamboo under my fingernails and hot coals on my tender bits. I can't go on my life is over because of what that person said....oh woe is me...." Rant off
    You should see the "outrage" today.
    Vandery Football twitter account posted their motto for the year, which is "We don't need your permission". Internet went crazy because of the 2 football players that were accused of rape last year. It's incredible man...

Yesterday the LA Times made a big deal about some company posting a "speak english" sign... get this, in America..

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    You should see the "outrage" today.
    Vandery Football twitter account posted their motto for the year, which is "We don't need your permission". Internet went crazy because of the 2 football players that were accused of rape last year. It's incredible man...
    That's just bad luck. Nobody checks the police blotter before they come up with slogans.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    That's just bad luck. Nobody checks the police blotter before they come up with slogans.
    Right. There is no more unfortunate timing, or honest coincidences anymore.. Now you're labeled a misogynist, sexist pig, or woman hater for something like this..

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This should lock down usage of Lafayette as the schools name.

I give the effort a 10 for intent, a 10 for motivation and a zero for branding.

Unless of course your branding goal is Lafayette, then I give it a 20 on a scale of 1 to 10.
    I was always using #CajunStrong for this reason instead of #LafayetteStrong

It sounds better.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    This has nothing to do with branding ... it has everything to do with community.
    And I like it.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    I was always using #CajunStrong for this reason instead of #LafayetteStrong

It sounds better.
    Many people around the country and all over the cities of Louisiana used Lafayette in their salutations when referencing condolences and support following the shooting. It is entirely appropriate for this gesture to do the same. There really is no other subject (ie branding) to discuss IMO.

Deep in the Ouachita Mountains Hot Springs Village, Ark

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

Hammer,
    Come on. Two people of our community were slain in a senseless act. The football team chooses to honor them and this thread ends up as a discussion of how it affects our branding.
    Just my opinion.
    i, for one, totally understood your point. i don't see how you were being "politically correct." i

Blog Entries

Hammer,
    Just my opinion.
    Everything in context.

If this were a fabric forum the discussion would be how many bolts of fabric are needed to make all the "Lafayette Strong" banners.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3