Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 56 of 56

Thread: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by TCbacker54 View Post
    I would be willing to be that any time the stickers will draw attention this season, the commentators will be discussing the tragedy and not the University's naming issue. If anything, it will garner a positive review for the University and just how strong and supportive this community is.
    I will go farther and virtually guarantee you no announcer will bring up the naming issue.

    "The University" will gain much credibility, but no one will know who "the University" is.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    Hammer,
    Come on. Two people of our community were slain in a senseless act. The football team chooses to honor them and this thread ends up as a discussion of how it affects out branding.
    I think the whole name thing should take a back seat in this instance.
    Just my opinion.
    Sorry if I came off as being overly sensitive and politically correct.
    "Lafayette Strong" is 100% about branding the community.

    Murder victims Jillian Johnson, and Mayci Breaux and the other near miss victims are not mentioned in "Lafayette Strong."

    This is inescapably about branding.

  3. #43
    HoustonCajun's Avatar
    HoustonCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,289

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

    If I heard it correctly, I think that in the news conference HUD quickly referenced Acadiana after saying Lafayette

    I think that there can be very little doubt that HUD wants Louisiana, UL, or Ragin' Cajuns only!!!

    Our brand has become Ragin Cajuns, not Louisiana. We may be the only school in the country branded by its moniker than its name. Hud may want any of the three, but he only wears Ragin Cajuns gear and all of our press conferences have nothing but Ragin Cajuns everywhere. You don't brand yourself as Louisiana, then proceed to never use the name.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,445

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Is this thread for real?


  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    879

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Is this thread for real?
    I'm out of this one. I applaud UL and our football team in it's effort to honor
    those involved in a tragic incident.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    I'm out of this one. I applaud UL and our football team in it's effort to honor
    those involved in a tragic incident.
    I think its great too.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    4,790

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Nothing short of a Bruce -Caitlyn transformation could prevent that
    Since you opened that door.

    Will the person you spoke of be able to enjoy the passions of love as a woman? Anyone know?

  8. #48
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    Hammer,
    Come on. Two people of our community were slain in a senseless act. The football team chooses to honor them and this thread ends up as a discussion of how it affects our branding.
    I think the whole name thing should take a back seat in this instance.
    Just my opinion.
    Sorry if I came off as being overly sensitive and politically correct.
    Not trying to downplay the loss. And I don't have a problem with the team honoring their memory. As for the thread, it is a sports message board and considering the issues we have had with the name in the past I can understand the connection. I actually thought it myself but decided against bringing it up.

    As for my response, I thought you were getting on him about the phrase he used. If I misinterpreted that I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion. I just find our society hyper sensitive and too many people act like their lives can't continue because of a word or phrase uttered by someone else.

    Used to be "Stick and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me." Now it seems it's "sticks and stones can break my bones but words are worse than bamboo under my fingernails and hot coals on my tender bits. I can't go on my life is over because of what that person said....oh woe is me...." Rant off

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,746

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Not trying to downplay the loss. And I don't have a problem with the team honoring their memory. As for the thread, it is a sports message board and considering the issues we have had with the name in the past I can understand the connection. I actually thought it myself but decided against bringing it up.

    As for my response, I thought you were getting on him about the phrase he used. If I misinterpreted that I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion. I just find our society hyper sensitive and too many people act like their lives can't continue because of a word or phrase uttered by someone else.

    Used to be "Stick and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me." Now it seems it's "sticks and stones can break my bones but words are worse than bamboo under my fingernails and hot coals on my tender bits. I can't go on my life is over because of what that person said....oh woe is me...." Rant off
    You should see the "outrage" today.
    Vandery Football twitter account posted their motto for the year, which is "We don't need your permission". Internet went crazy because of the 2 football players that were accused of rape last year. It's incredible man...

    Yesterday the LA Times made a big deal about some company posting a "speak english" sign... get this, in America..

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,634

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    You should see the "outrage" today.
    Vandery Football twitter account posted their motto for the year, which is "We don't need your permission". Internet went crazy because of the 2 football players that were accused of rape last year. It's incredible man...
    That's just bad luck. Nobody checks the police blotter before they come up with slogans.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,746

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    That's just bad luck. Nobody checks the police blotter before they come up with slogans.
    Right. There is no more unfortunate timing, or honest coincidences anymore.. Now you're labeled a misogynist, sexist pig, or woman hater for something like this..

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    13,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This should lock down usage of Lafayette as the schools name.

    I give the effort a 10 for intent, a 10 for motivation and a zero for branding.

    Unless of course your branding goal is Lafayette, then I give it a 20 on a scale of 1 to 10.
    I was always using #CajunStrong for this reason instead of #LafayetteStrong

    It sounds better.

  13. #53
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,498
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    This has nothing to do with branding ... it has everything to do with community.
    And I like it.

  14. #54
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,498
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    I was always using #CajunStrong for this reason instead of #LafayetteStrong

    It sounds better.
    Many people around the country and all over the cities of Louisiana used Lafayette in their salutations when referencing condolences and support following the shooting. It is entirely appropriate for this gesture to do the same. There really is no other subject (ie branding) to discuss IMO.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Deep in the Ouachita Mountains Hot Springs Village, Ark
    Posts
    1,676

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cajuns to Wear "Lafayette Strong" Decal on Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    Hammer,
    Come on. Two people of our community were slain in a senseless act. The football team chooses to honor them and this thread ends up as a discussion of how it affects our branding.
    I think the whole name thing should take a back seat in this instance.
    Just my opinion.
    Sorry if I came off as being overly sensitive and politically correct.
    i, for one, totally understood your point. i don't see how you were being "politically correct." i

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    Hammer,
    Come on. Two people of our community were slain in a senseless act. The football team chooses to honor them and this thread ends up as a discussion of how it affects our branding.
    I think the whole name thing should take a back seat in this instance.
    Just my opinion.
    Sorry if I came off as being overly sensitive and politically correct.
    Everything in context.

    If this were a fabric forum the discussion would be how many bolts of fabric are needed to make all the "Lafayette Strong" banners.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •