Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: UAB done in C-USA

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Please provide advanced notice.
    I thought you had your priceless collection of thongs insured and stored in a fireproof gunsafe?

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Please provide advanced notice.
    HAHA!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    There's no way in hell UAB will reinstate football. They didn't stop football because of facts. They stopped football because UA doesn't want UAB to have football. "Success" is killing football. They can do all the surveys and polls and demonstrations and #freeUAB tweeting they want. It was never about viability or success. There's absolutely no desire on the part of those making the decision to keep UAB alive. UAB football is dead.
    perfect take! one of best on here ever!

is southern miss' athletic department still in debt, did they pay back the money to get out of the "red"

I think we will have a pretty good indication of which direction CUSA is going after their June meeting

There's been speculation on the CUSA board that UAB may be making their intentions known some time tonight.

Confirming what we already know, C-USA commish says UAB is out if no football (and they'll have about a year to leave). Decision expected by UAB June 1.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2.../post_682.html

What a soap opera this is becoming. I have to give credit to the UAB fanbase. They worked hard towards a goal they could never reach. We will never know if this would have been the catalyzing event towards bringing their football team out of the basement, or if the same fan support would dry up with a few bad seasons. Don't know what you got till it's gone. I hope they get their corrupt monkey off their backs and get football back up and running. The fans deserve at least that much.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    or if the same fan support would dry up with a few bad seasons..
    My guess would be this.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sunbelt Re: UAB done in C-USA

According to the SunBelt board some big supporters have been given positive encouragement by the president, for whatever that may be worth.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    What a soap opera this is becoming. I have to give credit to the UAB fanbase. They worked hard towards a goal they could never reach. We will never know if this would have been the catalyzing event towards bringing their football team out of the basement, or if the same fan support would dry up with a few bad seasons. Don't know what you got till it's gone. I hope they get their corrupt monkey off their backs and get football back up and running. The fans deserve at least that much.
    If they put 1/4 the passion and support into the team while they still had it that they have in trying to get it back, their numbers wouldn't have been so skewed. They made it too easy for UA to do what they wanted to do. I hate to be taking this position, because I really do empathize with them and I know that as one of the little guys it could be us in a heartbeat, but it was their own fault that they were taking a nap in a grave they had already dug. Alabama just picked up the shovel. The reality of it is, even if they got their team back, the support they have now would be completely gone before the enormous rebuilding project they had to undertake would yield more than 2 or 3 wins a year. You don't just bounce back from an atomic bomb. I don't think the majority of the people they have rallying to get the team back understand exactly what kind of road they'll have to travel and struggle they'll have to endure to get a decent football team back.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sunbelt Re: UAB done in C-USA

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    If they put 1/4 the passion and support into the team while they still had it that they have in trying to get it back, their numbers wouldn't have been so skewed. They made it too easy for UA to do what they wanted to do. I hate to be taking this position, because I really do empathize with them and I know that as one of the little guys it could be us in a heartbeat, but it was their own fault that they were taking a nap in a grave they had already dug. Alabama just picked up the shovel. The reality of it is, even if they got their team back, the support they have now would be completely gone before the enormous rebuilding project they had to undertake would yield more than 2 or 3 wins a year. You don't just bounce back from an atomic bomb. I don't think the majority of the people they have rallying to get the team back understand exactly what kind of road they'll have to travel and struggle they'll have to endure to get a decent football team back.
    I know it is FCS, but SLU is a very good FCS team today. They killed the program and came back. They are today better than they ever were in the past fifty years.

When it comes to the spirit of men and women, never say cannot, or other such absolutes. George Washington kept losing the Revolutionary war against a much more powerful foe than the P5 or Alabama Board until he won it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    It's not even a guarantee that CUSA will take them back if they restart football. They still need assurances that things like this won't happen again. If the leadership doesn't change...I know I wouldn't keep them around.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I know it is FCS, but SLU is a very good FCS team today. They killed the program and came back. They are today better than they ever were in the past fifty years.

When it comes to the spirit of men and women, never say cannot, or other such absolutes. George Washington kept losing the Revolutionary war against a much more powerful foe than the P5 or Alabama Board until he won it.
    A couple of differences. Being FCS they were able to rebuild with FBS transfers which made them almost instantly competitive in the Southland. Also, they were able to stay in the Southland when they dropped football so they didn't have that hurdle to jump either when they brought it back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    Confirming what we already know, C-USA commish says UAB is out if no football (and they'll have about a year to leave). Decision expected by UAB June 1.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2.../post_682.html
    Their fans are the ones keeping this soap opera going. They are done in football for the foreseeable future in football.

Tony Kurre (WJOX-FM) via twitter: UAB President Watts to recommend revival of football, pass the buck to UABoT for final decision (self.CFB)

Tony Kurre @Tonethebone37 Source-Watts will meet with BOT this weekend with recommendation to bring back football-BOT must approve-find out Monday

https://twitter.com/Tonethebone37/st...83633629806592

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    Tony Kurre (WJOX-FM) via twitter: UAB President Watts to recommend revival of football, pass the buck to UABoT for final decision (self.CFB)

Tony Kurre @Tonethebone37 Source-Watts will meet with BOT this weekend with recommendation to bring back football-BOT must approve-find out Monday

https://twitter.com/Tonethebone37/st...83633629806592
    This is probably Watts' best move. He may be out of job regardless of the decision he makes. If he kills the program, the fans want him out, but the BOT gives him a pat on the back. If he passes the buck to the BOT, then the BOT may force him out, but most of fans' anger will be directed at the BOT. By letting the BOT take the heat on the decision, Watts sets himself up to have a fighting chance for his job, but if he does get canned, can probably get a high level position somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    This is probably Watts' best move. He may be out of job regardless of the decision he makes. If he kills the program, the fans want him out, but the BOT gives him a pat on the back. If he passes the buck to the BOT, then the BOT may force him out, but most of fans' anger will be directed at the BOT. By letting the BOT take the heat on the decision, Watts sets himself up to have a fighting chance for his job, but if he does get canned, can probably get a high level position somewhere else.
    The irony is that even if reinstated the football program is battling back from a self-inflicted death penalty. How do you get a decent coach? How do you recruit off of that? Can they survive the years of walking through the desert (a la SMU) that they have ahead of them?

They seem to be pretty confident on Blazertalk that it's coming back. Another door shuts. Now what do we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    The irony is that even if reinstated the football program is battling back from a self-inflicted death penalty. How do you get a decent coach? How do you recruit off of that? Can they survive the years of walking through the desert (a la SMU) that they have ahead of them?
    UAB already has a decent coach in Bill Clark

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast