Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: UAB done in C-USA

Blog Entries

Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    Do we?
    Does Texas State?
    Million dollar question that no one can answer with certainty. Right now, I know we do not have enough votes on the East side of the conference. My understanding is that Dr. Savoie is headed to the NCAA meetings today and plans to have discussions with decision makers while at the conference.

This time around, your market will not carry as much weight in the final decision as does your athletic brand, budget and facilities. But at this time it looks like they will allow UAB to remain the conference for the 2015-2016 season in Olympic Sports and make no decision to add any new members.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Million dollar question that no one can answer with certainty. Right now, I know we do not have enough votes on the East side of the conference. My understanding is that Dr. Savoie is headed to the NCAA meetings today and plans to have discussions with decision makers while at the conference.

This time around, your market will not carry as much weight in the final decision as does your athletic brand, budget and facilities. But at this time it looks like they will allow UAB to remain the conference for the 2015-2016 season in Olympic Sports and make no decision to add any new members.
    Seems like CUSA has always been one step ahead, seeing what was on the horizon and moving before they HAVE to move.

What has changed that? Seems like everybody knows UAB isn't going to add football, despite the hype, and CUSA would seem to be out of character to not pounce.

What am I missing?

Seems like CUSA has always been one step ahead, seeing what was on the horizon and moving before they HAVE to move.

What has changed that? Seems like everybody knows UAB isn't going to add football, despite the hype, and CUSA would seem to be out of character to not pounce.

What am I missing?
    They can't agree...we would have been hearing rumors about who is getting in by now. USA tried to plant the seed but that died on the vine. No one has the votes.

What am I missing?
    Just a guess, but the landscape is much more stable than it was 4 years ago so they might not feel the need to move as quickly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Just a guess, but the landscape is much more stable than it was 4 years ago so they might not feel the need to move as quickly.
    That's what Mount Everest said.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Am I dreaming that we're kinda landlocked into this by process of elimination?
    If they go to 16, there is no way we are not part of it.

I'm anxious as the next Cajun fan. HOWEVER, in the business world, decisions to merge and such are NOT broadcasted to shareholders and competitors until a plan of action is in place. This is no different. If CUSA picks someone else THEN questions need to be answered. Since other parties are interested in the opening, it is like poker...only a complete idiot would show their hand now. Until then, I'm sitting this out.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    They can wait to as late as august...the reason being both football and basketball schedules for conference are already set

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    They can wait to as late as august...the reason being both football and basketball schedules for conference are already set

--Has UAB been replaced on all this years football schedules for cusa schools???

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I'm anxious as the next Cajun fan. HOWEVER, in the business world, decisions to merge and such are NOT broadcasted to shareholders and competitors until a plan of action is in place. This is no different. If CUSA picks someone else THEN questions need to be answered. Since other parties are interested in the opening, it is like poker...only a complete idiot would show their hand now. Until then, I'm sitting this out.
    Absolutely.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

--Has UAB been replaced on all this years football schedules for cusa schools???

For football I would say yes boom

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    yeah....... hold that thought.

Z
    Just sayin' Zee.

Blog Entries

What am I missing?
    They don't have to rush because they are currently dividing UAB's television money share amongst themselves and their television contract will not increase with new members or large markets. In fact since the P5 has pretty much separated from the G5, all of the lower conference television contracts will be worth less revenue. There is no rush to share that money with new members.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I have no problem in the business world when company presidents don't tell the shareholders what's going on. We shareholders just fire them if we don't get what we want. If they say, "You guys just trust me to win and I won't disappoint you... but I cannot disclose what I'm doing for fear of it getting out.". I say, "I trust what you say to be true. But since you've chosen to win this alone, you will also lose by yourself. Either bring home the win or resign.". Do we shareholders get that option at UL?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad View Post
    I think it is a no-doubter that we are left behind. I understand the argument that it may be a lateral move anyways, but even if it isn't an upgrade by fact it's definitely an upgrade by appearance. And the "appearance" of a better conference would definitely help our perceived value as a destination among recruits.
    I think it's interesting that we've been discussed almost everywhere as a possible replacement, but somehow we have people on here saying it's a foregone conclusion that we'll be left out. Just the fact that outside groups with no particular bias have included us, if not placed us as the first mentioned, leads me to believe we have "a chance". And when something I want has a preconditioned "chance", I don't just sit on my future to see if "chance" occurs.

CUSA isn't a big step above the SBC. It is considered a step above. If you notice, the SBC hasn't taken programs away from CUSA. It can't. CUSA has taken SBC schools, and can invite any one of us and get us. Doesn't that alone dictate a pecking order?

First, it is our departure to CUSA that you need to review when asking which conference is better. CUSA goes up with us in it, and the SBC drops. And that gap will be noticeable. Second, we are better off just getting away from ULM. Despite Tech whining from time to time about "UL", the CUSA commissioner and the other CUSA programs aren't going to placate the whining of ULM. Third, and perhaps most importantly, our alumni and supporters will roundly support the help, however small, that CUSA gives us in our quest for improvement. You can call it "appearance", but it will look very real once our supporters rally around it.

Astute prediction. Hoping it comes true.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I think it's interesting that we've been discussed almost everywhere as a possible replacement, but somehow we have people on here saying it's a foregone conclusion that we'll be left out. Just the fact that outside groups with no particular bias have included us, if not placed us as the first mentioned, leads me to believe we have "a chance". And when something I want has a preconditioned "chance", I don't just sit on my future to see if "chance" occurs.

CUSA isn't a big step above the SBC. It is considered a step above. If you notice, the SBC hasn't taken programs away from CUSA. It can't. CUSA has taken SBC schools, and can invite any one of us and get us. Doesn't that alone dictate a pecking order?

First, it is our departure to CUSA that you need to review when asking which conference is better. CUSA goes up with us in it, and the SBC drops. And that gap will be noticeable. Second, we are better off just getting away from ULM. Despite Tech whining from time to time about "UL", the CUSA commissioner and the other CUSA programs aren't going to placate the whining of ULM. Third, and perhaps most importantly, our alumni and supporters will roundly support the help, however small, that CUSA gives us in our quest for improvement. You can call it "appearance", but it will look very real once our supporters rally around it.
    ... and if I remember correctly, Louisiana was only in the CUSA discussions in previous rounds on Ragin' Pagin and nowhere else in America.

Am I remembering that correctly?

Because this feels very different to me.

We bring a lot of real, tangible improvement in appearance and substance to CUSA, and there aren't many other schools left to peck that do.

I think we're in good shape. We'll see.

... and if I remember correctly, Louisiana was only in the CUSA discussions in previous rounds on Ragin' Pagin and nowhere else in America.

We bring a lot of real, tangible improvement in appearance and substance to CUSA, and there aren't many other schools left to peck that do.

I too think we're in good shape. Something just feels right this time.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Just thinking our selling points and what we bring to the CUSA---please join in the compilation

around the 3rd largest FB stadium, one of the largest Bball and baseball arenas---great indoor facility and new performance center---A continued facility expansion with the stadia and the Cajun Dome (I would think that in this regard we overall might have the best in the conference in this regard

Budget rank I don't know---same for enrollment---endowment---# of Tier ones in the club---Fantastic recent athletic success

Population rankings for the conference I don't know

Anyway If ya'll can add some areas or some info on the areas listed it would be interesting!!!

Blog Entries

In the past, realignment across many conferences forced CUSA to select new members and we were always chattering about our possibilities. I don't think a lot of chatter ever included us... outside of RP. In this case, it's isolated to CUSA due to UAB... so there's only a few programs in the running. Everyone discussing the subject has us in the discussion. I'm not sure of our chances over other programs being considered. I hear the east/west stuff. The add one makes me nervous. The add three makes me more optimistic.

I don't, however, like to think that we haven't rigorously campaigned... president to presidents... to make our best case... including commitments to future improvements... beyond what we discuss openly... as a fulcrum to turn the minds of CUSA presidents to our very attractive (and unique) features added to their conference. When we get it going, we're going to be way more fun than can be currently imagined. We need to sell it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast