Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: UAB done in C-USA

Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

Once again, I'm not getting my hopes up. My thought process right now is that we will be left behind. That way I'm not surprised and utterly disappointed when we don't make the jump.

I think it is a no-doubter that we are left behind. I understand the argument that it may be a lateral move anyways, but even if it isn't an upgrade by fact it's definitely an upgrade by appearance. And the "appearance" of a better conference would definitely help our perceived value as a destination among recruits.

Can't control if we are left out.... We can control if we are left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad View Post
    I think it is a no-doubter that we are left behind. I understand the argument that it may be a lateral move anyways, but even if it isn't an upgrade by fact it's definitely an upgrade by appearance. And the "appearance" of a better conference would definitely help our perceived value as a destination among recruits.
    No one will ever be able to convince me that it is a "lateral move."

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    And I get that. I understand the argument, but I certainly don't believe it to be either. My point being that even if you are convinced that it is in fact an Athletic Equivalent to the Sunbelt, you will never convince me that they are perceived by the general public to be equal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    look I don't know if we get in or not this time. Frankly, I can't worry about it. I hope that our administration is doing everything possible to get us in, but at the end of the day it might now matter what we do or don't do, this could be a decision that has nothing to do with our "fight" or lack of "fight" to be included. The CUSA brass could just decide they don't want us and if that is the case we could have done everything possible and still not be included.

Will I be dissappointed if we are not included, yes....Will it all be on our admistration if we are not, no......If our administration is not doing everything possible then that is on us, but if we are and we still are not included, don't blame them. Some things are out of our hands.

Now that being said, I think we should contact every Conference, no matter whom they are and let them know that we are interested in getting out of the SBC, that would include the CUSA, AAC, MAC and MWC as well as the Big 12 and others. Let them know that we are not ready for the P5 yet, but we are working our way there and that we want to be included if and when the next round of realignment happens.

Not all of this is on our administration, I do agree that LTU had a better plan than we did back in the day and that is what has allowed them to move up to the CUSA. What is going on now is different, like I said it could be out of our control.

Just my .02
    Dave there are some things we don't control. But there are a number of initiatives that we can pursue, networking and campaigning behind the scenes. Those are the things that South Alabama is doing and they are not using their no opening now as an excuse for inaction. Once our name is on the table, we don't control the vote. Shame on us if we haven't done everything at that point to get our name on the table.

Bottom Line

1 - you make things happen

2- you watch things happen

OR

3- you wonder what the hell happened!!

And I get that. I understand the argument, but I certainly don't believe it to be either. My point being that even if you are convinced that it is in fact an Athletic Equivalent to the Sunbelt, you will never convince me that they are perceived by the general public to be equal.
    Agreed and also some folks seem to only think about football and not other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    i think there are pros and cons to both but more pros to cusa than cons. i dont think it is lateral move. It will be lateral the day a SBC team turns down an invite.

I disagree on both points. Last time around we weren't ready. It was never going to happen. We've made a gigantic leap in the last few years. Our budget and facilities are finally where they need to be (or will be very shortly.) And our sports teams have been outstanding these past few years. This time, I'm almost positive we're one of 3 schools under serious consideration by C-USA (if they haven't already chosen.)

And while C-USA ain't the conference it use to be, it's still clearly a step above the Sun Belt. The teams are better, the money is better, and the prestige is better. It's so damn important for us to get in if we want to continue to grow. Sadly, all we can really do is cross our fingers.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

My thoughts after a year of digging for info on this...

We have always been the top choice of the western CUSA schools.

JMU has always been the top choice of the eastern CUSA schools.

South Al was offered as the compromise candidate and failed to garner enough votes as well.

Bottom line, CUSA likely stays at 13 or slight chance of them going to 16...like their commish wanted to them to do 2 years ago. Smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I disagree on both points. Last time around we weren't ready. It was never going to happen. We've made a gigantic leap in the last few years. Our budget and facilities are finally where they need to be (or will be very shortly.) And our sports teams have been outstanding these past few years. This time, I'm almost positive we're one of 3 schools under serious consideration by C-USA (if they haven't already chosen.)

And while C-USA ain't the conference it use to be, it's still clearly a step above the Sun Belt. The teams are better, the money is better, and the prestige is better. It's so damn important for us to get in if we want to continue to grow. Sadly, all we can really do is cross our fingers.
    I hope you are right. The second it happens I will double my bare minimum RCAF donation.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    My thoughts after a year of digging for info on this...

We have always been the top choice of the western CUSA schools.

JMU has always been the top choice of the eastern CUSA schools.

South Al was offered as the compromise candidate and failed to garner enough votes as well.

Bottom line, CUSA likely stays at 13 or slight chance of them going to 16...like their commish wanted to them to do 2 years ago. Smart guy.
    I had heard the first two, but where did you hear the last one about USA not getting enough votes? That's great news for us.

My prediction, for the record: CUSA goes to 16.

Louisiana and South Alabama in the west.

JMU in the east.

It's the ultimate compromise that makes everyone in CUSA as happy as they can be.

If USA comes with us (or even stAte), I think this is VERY good for UL.

Here's hoping I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I'd rather not get my hopes up.
    Same here. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than ____ed lol

If we get in CUSA...and our administration sees a marked increase in donations...does the ____ing light bulb go off? Does the bowling ball hit them in the nuts? Do they finally realize that donors and fans dig progress?

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    My prediction, for the record: CUSA goes to 16.

Louisiana and South Alabama in the west.

JMU in the east.

It's the ultimate compromise that makes everyone in CUSA as happy as they can be.

If USA comes with us (or even stAte), I think this is VERY good for UL.

Here's hoping I'm right.
    If it's the only way we get in...let's go. The Sun Belt is an albatross around our necks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I had heard the first two, but where did you hear the last one about USA not getting enough votes? That's great news for us.
    They do not have the votes right now, with Southern Miss leading the block on the Western Side of the conference. They will need 10 votes and right now they don't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    They do not have the votes right now, with Southern Miss leading the block on the Western Side of the conference. They will need 10 votes and right now they don't have them.
    Do we?
    Does Texas State?

UTSA & UTEP would block them so fast it would make your head spin

Am I dreaming that we're kinda landlocked into this by process of elimination?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast