Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 137

Thread: UAB done in C-USA

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,057

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Once again, I'm not getting my hopes up. My thought process right now is that we will be left behind. That way I'm not surprised and utterly disappointed when we don't make the jump.


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    I think it is a no-doubter that we are left behind. I understand the argument that it may be a lateral move anyways, but even if it isn't an upgrade by fact it's definitely an upgrade by appearance. And the "appearance" of a better conference would definitely help our perceived value as a destination among recruits.


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,609

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Can't control if we are left out.... We can control if we are left behind.


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,071

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad View Post
    I think it is a no-doubter that we are left behind. I understand the argument that it may be a lateral move anyways, but even if it isn't an upgrade by fact it's definitely an upgrade by appearance. And the "appearance" of a better conference would definitely help our perceived value as a destination among recruits.
    No one will ever be able to convince me that it is a "lateral move."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    No one will ever be able to convince me that it is a "lateral move."
    And I get that. I understand the argument, but I certainly don't believe it to be either. My point being that even if you are convinced that it is in fact an Athletic Equivalent to the Sunbelt, you will never convince me that they are perceived by the general public to be equal.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    look I don't know if we get in or not this time. Frankly, I can't worry about it. I hope that our administration is doing everything possible to get us in, but at the end of the day it might now matter what we do or don't do, this could be a decision that has nothing to do with our "fight" or lack of "fight" to be included. The CUSA brass could just decide they don't want us and if that is the case we could have done everything possible and still not be included.

    Will I be dissappointed if we are not included, yes....Will it all be on our admistration if we are not, no......If our administration is not doing everything possible then that is on us, but if we are and we still are not included, don't blame them. Some things are out of our hands.

    Now that being said, I think we should contact every Conference, no matter whom they are and let them know that we are interested in getting out of the SBC, that would include the CUSA, AAC, MAC and MWC as well as the Big 12 and others. Let them know that we are not ready for the P5 yet, but we are working our way there and that we want to be included if and when the next round of realignment happens.

    Not all of this is on our administration, I do agree that LTU had a better plan than we did back in the day and that is what has allowed them to move up to the CUSA. What is going on now is different, like I said it could be out of our control.

    Just my .02
    Dave there are some things we don't control. But there are a number of initiatives that we can pursue, networking and campaigning behind the scenes. Those are the things that South Alabama is doing and they are not using their no opening now as an excuse for inaction. Once our name is on the table, we don't control the vote. Shame on us if we haven't done everything at that point to get our name on the table.

    Bottom Line

    1 - you make things happen

    2- you watch things happen

    OR

    3- you wonder what the hell happened!!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,071

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad View Post
    And I get that. I understand the argument, but I certainly don't believe it to be either. My point being that even if you are convinced that it is in fact an Athletic Equivalent to the Sunbelt, you will never convince me that they are perceived by the general public to be equal.
    Agreed and also some folks seem to only think about football and not other sports.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,609

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    No one will ever be able to convince me that it is a "lateral move."
    i think there are pros and cons to both but more pros to cusa than cons. i dont think it is lateral move. It will be lateral the day a SBC team turns down an invite.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,878

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad View Post
    I think it is a no-doubter that we are left behind. I understand the argument that it may be a lateral move anyways, but even if it isn't an upgrade by fact it's definitely an upgrade by appearance. And the "appearance" of a better conference would definitely help our perceived value as a destination among recruits.
    I disagree on both points. Last time around we weren't ready. It was never going to happen. We've made a gigantic leap in the last few years. Our budget and facilities are finally where they need to be (or will be very shortly.) And our sports teams have been outstanding these past few years. This time, I'm almost positive we're one of 3 schools under serious consideration by C-USA (if they haven't already chosen.)

    And while C-USA ain't the conference it use to be, it's still clearly a step above the Sun Belt. The teams are better, the money is better, and the prestige is better. It's so damn important for us to get in if we want to continue to grow. Sadly, all we can really do is cross our fingers.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,536

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    My thoughts after a year of digging for info on this...

    We have always been the top choice of the western CUSA schools.

    JMU has always been the top choice of the eastern CUSA schools.

    South Al was offered as the compromise candidate and failed to garner enough votes as well.

    Bottom line, CUSA likely stays at 13 or slight chance of them going to 16...like their commish wanted to them to do 2 years ago. Smart guy.


  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I disagree on both points. Last time around we weren't ready. It was never going to happen. We've made a gigantic leap in the last few years. Our budget and facilities are finally where they need to be (or will be very shortly.) And our sports teams have been outstanding these past few years. This time, I'm almost positive we're one of 3 schools under serious consideration by C-USA (if they haven't already chosen.)

    And while C-USA ain't the conference it use to be, it's still clearly a step above the Sun Belt. The teams are better, the money is better, and the prestige is better. It's so damn important for us to get in if we want to continue to grow. Sadly, all we can really do is cross our fingers.
    I hope you are right. The second it happens I will double my bare minimum RCAF donation.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    My thoughts after a year of digging for info on this...

    We have always been the top choice of the western CUSA schools.

    JMU has always been the top choice of the eastern CUSA schools.

    South Al was offered as the compromise candidate and failed to garner enough votes as well.

    Bottom line, CUSA likely stays at 13 or slight chance of them going to 16...like their commish wanted to them to do 2 years ago. Smart guy.
    I had heard the first two, but where did you hear the last one about USA not getting enough votes? That's great news for us.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    My prediction, for the record: CUSA goes to 16.

    Louisiana and South Alabama in the west.

    JMU in the east.

    It's the ultimate compromise that makes everyone in CUSA as happy as they can be.

    If USA comes with us (or even stAte), I think this is VERY good for UL.

    Here's hoping I'm right.


  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I'd rather not get my hopes up.
    Same here. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than ____ed lol

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,673

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    If we get in CUSA...and our administration sees a marked increase in donations...does the ____ing light bulb go off? Does the bowling ball hit them in the nuts? Do they finally realize that donors and fans dig progress?


  16. #36
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,673

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    My prediction, for the record: CUSA goes to 16.

    Louisiana and South Alabama in the west.

    JMU in the east.

    It's the ultimate compromise that makes everyone in CUSA as happy as they can be.

    If USA comes with us (or even stAte), I think this is VERY good for UL.

    Here's hoping I'm right.
    If it's the only way we get in...let's go. The Sun Belt is an albatross around our necks.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I had heard the first two, but where did you hear the last one about USA not getting enough votes? That's great news for us.
    They do not have the votes right now, with Southern Miss leading the block on the Western Side of the conference. They will need 10 votes and right now they don't have them.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    7,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    They do not have the votes right now, with Southern Miss leading the block on the Western Side of the conference. They will need 10 votes and right now they don't have them.
    Do we?
    Does Texas State?

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,738

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    UTSA & UTEP would block them so fast it would make your head spin


  20. #40
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: UAB done in C-USA

    Am I dreaming that we're kinda landlocked into this by process of elimination?


Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •