_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,966
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

    A week after visiting the Louisiana campus, Jackson (Miss.) Provine High School three-star forward Jerekius Davis verbally committed to the Ragin' Cajuns on Friday.

    Story Link
    http://louisiana.scout.com/story/153...ouisiana?s=345


  2. #2
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,724

    Default Re: Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    A week after visiting the Louisiana campus, Jackson (Miss.) Provine High School three-star forward Jerekius Davis verbally committed to the Ragin' Cajuns on Friday.

    Story Link
    http://louisiana.scout.com/story/153...ouisiana?s=345
    Could be a big get for Cajuns. Signing a 3 star player who did well in a recent All Star game is encouraging. Of course he has not signed yet. Have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks before we can do that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,320

    Default Re: Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

    Speaking of Evansville... They finished it off and took home the CIT title... Congrats...

    http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400788261


  4. #4

    Default Re: Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

    The Cajuns lost to an Evansville team that might be primed for an NCAA tournament appearance in 2015-16. The Aces had only one senior on this season's squad and return all of their top contributors, namely guard D.J. Balentine (who had 35 points vs. the Cajuns in the CIT quarterfinals).

    And I agree with Cajunmike: Davis appears to be a strong addition for the Cajuns. Chattanooga was the other school that pursued him as hard as the Cajuns & the Mocs have a solid program under Will Wade, who might end up being Shaka Smart's replacement at VCU. (Wade was an assistant at VCU under Smart, who just left for Texas.)


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,320

    Default Re: Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

    I can't believe they were only 9-9 in the MVC. Is the conference THAT good? Maybe the slumped some time during the year?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    I can't believe they were only 9-9 in the MVC. Is the conference THAT good? Maybe the slumped some time during the year?
    The record is a little misleading. The three teams that finished ahead of them in Confrence had RPIs of 14, 17, and 62.

    If you take away the 6 games they lost to those 3 teams they would have finished 9-3.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Speaking of Evansville... They finished it off and took home the CIT title... Congrats...

    http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400788261
    Good for them. I can't say I'm surprised - they were very impressive. That was some good basketball we saw in Blackham

    And I was thinking the same thing about their record but given the RPI of their conference opponents it makes sense

  8. #8

    Default Re: Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

    Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    I can't believe they were only 9-9 in the MVC. Is the conference THAT good? Maybe the slumped some time during the year?
    Yes, the Missouri Valley was strong this season. Wichita State and Northern Iowa both cracked the top-25 rankings, made the NCAA tournament & finished with 30-win seasons. Illinois State won 22 games (beating Green Bay and Wichita State as well as Evansville three times) and ended up in the NIT after nearly upsetting Northern Iowa in the MVC tournament title game. Loyola beat ULM to win the CBI & won 24 games.

    In non-conference Evansville (24-12, 9-9 MVC) beat Fresno State and Belmont and had a pair of two-point losses to postseason-bound teams (Green Bay and Murray State). The Aces also beat Northern Iowa. In fact, eight of their 12 losses this season were by five points or fewer (five in the MVC). They had two rough stretches (three straight losses from Jan. 31 to Feb. 7 and four in a row from Feb. 22 to March 6) but also saw their second-, third- and fourth-leading scorers miss a combined 11 games. They realized their potential after getting healthy late in the year.

    The MVC should be strong again next season, even with Wichita State, Northern Iowa, Illinois State, Indiana State and Loyola losing some key seniors. Wichita State could be a top-25 team again if Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet come back next season and some of the other returning Shockers (or newcomers) fill the void left by departing seniors Darius Carter and Tekele Cotton.

    I expect Evansville to contend for the league title given that all but one of its top contributors should return and Balentine will be one of the nation's top returning scorers. Mockevicius nearly averaged a double-double but is a redshirt junior and could play elsewhere next season as a grad transfer, so his return will be key for the Aces to carry over the momentum from this season.

  9. #9
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,608

    Default Re: Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

    I hope this is a sign that Marlin starts getting more players out of the high school ranks who aren't "projects".


  10. #10
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I hope this is a sign that Marlin starts getting more players out of the high school ranks who aren't "projects".
    I do not think any of the three HS signees from last year's class are projects. Stove and Washington did as well as could be expected for freshman this past year while both Plaisance and Gravett are expected to contribute after red shirting. Corey Davis from Lafayette High may redshirt if eligible. That will be to get him stronger, not because he lacks talent. Granted Davis may have more potential than those guys based on his HS accomplishments. We do need a go to guy to build around and maybe Davis can be that guy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,742
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Jerekius Davis Commits to Louisiana

    Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    Yes, the Missouri Valley was strong this season. Wichita State and Northern Iowa both cracked the top-25 rankings, made the NCAA tournament & finished with 30-win seasons. Illinois State won 22 games (beating Green Bay and Wichita State as well as Evansville three times) and ended up in the NIT after nearly upsetting Northern Iowa in the MVC tournament title game. Loyola beat ULM to win the CBI & won 24 games.

    In non-conference Evansville (24-12, 9-9 MVC) beat Fresno State and Belmont and had a pair of two-point losses to postseason-bound teams (Green Bay and Murray State). The Aces also beat Northern Iowa. In fact, eight of their 12 losses this season were by five points or fewer (five in the MVC). They had two rough stretches (three straight losses from Jan. 31 to Feb. 7 and four in a row from Feb. 22 to March 6) but also saw their second-, third- and fourth-leading scorers miss a combined 11 games. They realized their potential after getting healthy late in the year.

    The MVC should be strong again next season, even with Wichita State, Northern Iowa, Illinois State, Indiana State and Loyola losing some key seniors. Wichita State could be a top-25 team again if Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet come back next season and some of the other returning Shockers (or newcomers) fill the void left by departing seniors Darius Carter and Tekele Cotton.

    I expect Evansville to contend for the league title given that all but one of its top contributors should return and Balentine will be one of the nation's top returning scorers. Mockevicius nearly averaged a double-double but is a redshirt junior and could play elsewhere next season as a grad transfer, so his return will be key for the Aces to carry over the momentum from this season.
    This is great info for giving perspective.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •