Thread: Will Contraction Lead To Smart Expansion in the Sun Belt Conference?

Sunbelt Will Contraction Lead To Smart Expansion in the Sun Belt Conference?

The Sun Belt Conference has 13 members currently, but is riding a bullet train to 11 members. Could that be the best thing that ever happened to the conference?

The Sun Belt Conference adopted rules in 2007 that seem likely to force Denver and New Orleans out by the 2012-2013 school year.

The rest of the story

Tobi Writes

Default Re: Will Contraction Lead To Smart Expansion in the Sun Belt Conference?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _

A good article with a lot or possibilities stated, somewhat similar to what I raised when I started a conference realignment thread a week or so ago. Interestingly, UL isn't mentioned at all for C-USA or a new SWC. Only mentioned as a possible Eastern WAC member if Boise State bolts. I hope it is not a "too little, too late" scenario for UL. Instead of upgrading our football facility, a priority for conference realignment consideration, we are upgrading other sports and will address football in 2-3 years, likely AFTER conference realignment takes place. This tells me there is really NO PLAN to position ourselves for a better conference, only to hold on to the lowly SBC and keep our place as a bottom feeder in 1A football. I hope I am wrong. Should conference realignment take place in the next 2-3 years and the dominos fall in several conferences, it will be our last shot at upgrading our current position. Failure to do so will doom us to eternal membership with ULM and a host of 1A wannabes, again.

Default Re: Will Contraction Lead To Smart Expansion in the Sun Belt Conference?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ A good article with a lot or possibilities stated, somewhat similar to what I raised when I started a conference realignment thread a week or so ago. Interestingly, UL isn't mentioned at all for C-USA or a new SWC. Only mentioned as a possible Eastern WAC member if Boise State bolts. I hope it is not a "too little, too late" scenario for UL. Instead of upgrading our football facility, a priority for conference realignment consideration, we are upgrading other sports and will address football in 2-3 years, likely AFTER conference realignment takes place. This tells me there is really NO PLAN to position ourselves for a better conference, only to hold on to the lowly SBC and keep our place as a bottom feeder in 1A football. I hope I am wrong. Should conference realignment take place in the next 2-3 years and the dominos fall in several conferences, it will be our last shot at upgrading our current position. Failure to do so will doom us to eternal membership with ULM and a host of 1A wannabes, again. _
    Is there any hope that UL would be able to be a part of a "new" Southwest Conference if one were to become reality? Would it make sense to join La Tech as part of an eastern division of the WAC if an offer was extended to UL, UNT, and Ark ST.? Is ANYTHING preferable to an "eternal membership with ULM"?

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

The next domino to fall that will trigger the next round of realignment looks to come from the Big-10 going to 12.

There have been strong rumblings that something could happen next spring with the Big-10 taking a couple of Big East schools, Syracuse and Rutgers appear to be the most mentioned. Notre Dame will never join the Big-10.

Now, the Big East will almost assuredly respond by raiding CUSA of any number of East Carolina, UCF, Memphis, and/or Houston.

The MWC will then probably see an opening for gaining AQ status and finally take Boise State.

This is where it gets tricky.

With CUSA-east having been devastated, CUSA-west holds all of the cards. Will they simply rebuild their eastern division with FIU,FAU,MT, and South Al? Will they solidify their SWC footprint by adding UNT, UTSA, Tech, maybe UL?
    Or, will the SBC and CUSA reach an agreement to trade a few schools and evolve into 2 seperate, regionally distinct conferences?

Who knows.

All I know is that our snail's pace of a growth pattern and small risk thinking will doom us to the worst possible outcome....unless somebody in Martin Hall finally cuts the chains off.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

There have been strong rumblings that something could happen next spring with the Big-10 taking a couple of Big East schools, Syracuse and Rutgers appear to be the most mentioned. Notre Dame will never join the Big-10.
    the big east wont be that affected, being that the BIG 10 only needs one team to get to 12 teams.

_ The next domino to fall that will trigger the next round of realignment looks to come from the Big-10 going to 12.

Now, the Big East will almost assuredly respond by raiding CUSA of any number of East Carolina, UCF, Memphis, and/or Houston.

The MWC will then probably see an opening for gaining AQ status and finally take Boise State.

With CUSA-east having been devastated, CUSA-west holds all of the cards. Will they simply rebuild their eastern division with FIU,FAU,MT, and South Al? Will they solidify their SWC footprint by adding UNT, UTSA, Tech, maybe UL?
    Or, will the SBC and CUSA reach an agreement to trade a few schools and evolve into 2 seperate, regionally distinct conferences?

Who knows.

All I know is that our snail's pace of a growth pattern and small risk thinking will doom us to the worst possible outcome....unless somebody in Martin Hall finally cuts the chains off. _

If all the realignments take place and we are left again in the worse conference in America with ULM while schools like LA Tech, Troy, MT and UNT move on to better things, UL athletics will be pretty much doomed. I will not support such a scenario. We have had time to prepare for this and have done little. We will have 2-3 years at most, maybe less, and short of being in a bowl game next year, UL will be only an afterthought to any conference looking for new members. We have achieved NOTHING in any sport in the past 10 years except softball and an up and down baseball program. This so-called sleeping giant will likely continue to sleep through this exam and fail the course unless some serious action is taken soon by our President and AD. Their silence is deafening.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ This so-called sleeping giant will likely continue to sleep through this exam and fail the course unless some serious action is taken soon by our President and AD. Their silence is deafening. _
    I think its the snoring you are hearing.... I REALLY thought T-Joe would make a difference.... He has done NOTHING to change perceptions that this is a program that noone really cares about improving... that a FEW enjoy the benefits of.. and this includes thier media mouthpiece BOP and the morning wannabe Stevie P... You keep your mouth shut... you get to "play".... the program goes no where but those FEW really dont care.........

I posted this a couple of months ago... You have shown us you dont care T-Joe... and for that I can say thanks... Now I dont either

Quote Originally Posted by dms4720 View Post
    the big east wont be that affected, being that the BIG 10 only needs one team to get to 12 teams.
    You're right. It was pretty late when I typed that. Not thinking clearly. Too much egg nog.

Still, it will only take 1 school, 1 domino, and the realignment carousel will begin.

Guys, you need to relax!

Cajun Field renovation plans are being made. You are looking at 20-30 million at a minimum. That kind of $/financing will take 2-3 years at least to put together.

Why all this doom & gloom...Y'all are getting worked up over one speculative article!

What if Notre Dame wises up and joins the Big 10....what happens to the dominoes then?

There are so many possibilities....my point is that it is useless to get all worked up at this point.

Grow RCAF and continue the upgrades.

When do our wins and post-season appearances get upgraded? Everything else is a distraction.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ When do our wins and post-season appearances get upgraded? Everything else is a distraction.

igeaux.mobi _
    Sure wish I had the answer to that one!

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ When do our wins and post-season appearances get upgraded? Everything else is a distraction.

igeaux.mobi _
    It won't be in 2010. The OOC games on the schedule are just too tough. Why so many "money" games in a single season? If state budget cuts make it necessary to have a schedule that looks like 2010's every year, it will be very hard to consistently have winning seasons. Being totally dominated and losing by a lopsided score in a game kills any momentum that was built by earlier victories. I don't think 2010 will be much fun for the Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    It won't be in 2010. The OOC games on the schedule are just too tough. Why so many "money" games in a single season? If state budget cuts make it necessary to have a schedule that looks like 2010's every year, it will be very hard to consistently have winning seasons. Being totally dominated and losing by a lopsided score in a game kills any momentum that was built by earlier victories. I don't think 2010 will be much fun for the Cajuns.
    You're "money game" argument would hold water except for one tiny fact.

No one in the Sunbelt Conference, since its inception, has played fewer money games than we have.

LOL, conference upgrade talk....

_ You're "money game" argument would hold water except for one tiny fact.

No one in the Sunbelt Conference, since its inception, has played fewer money games than we have. _
    I didn't intend to insinuate that UL played more money games than other SBC teams, I was simply making the point that next years team will have to face probably 3-4 OOC losses. That will make earning a spot in a bowl game very tough. If 2 OOC games were scheduled with SWAC or SLC opponents instead, I'd like the Cajuns chances of at least getting to 7 wins.

_ The next domino to fall that will trigger the next round of realignment looks to come from the Big-10 going to 12.

Who knows.

All I know is that our snail's pace of a growth pattern and small risk thinking will doom us to the worst possible outcome....unless somebody in Martin Hall finally cuts the chains off. _

The University of Houston isn't thinking in terms of a new SWC with some regional universities. Their new President and football coach are preparing for realignment in the next 3-4 years and want to move up to a BCS league. Their biggest issue is their football stadium which seats 32,000. They want to enlarge their stadium with suites to a size that will make them BCS attractive. UH is doing everything than can NOW to be ready for when their opportunity comes. They realize that football is the key and they are winning, going to bowl games, and making a national name for themselves.

UL, on the other hand, still is not winning in football, still has not gone to a bowl game, its basketball programs have dropped to the worse in the SBC, and instead of upgrading football facilities in preparation for conference realignment in 3-4 years, we are upgrading all other sports and will address football when all are completed in 3-4 years. So, right when decisions will be made on conference realignment, UL will not have done anything to its football facility which may be the key to being selected. At the same time, schools like Troy and MT are moving up the charts and UNT, in the Dallas market, is building a new football stadium.

I don't understand the priorities here. I understand that the other sports have been more successful and certainly deserve facility upgrades. It is simply a question of priority and timing. I hope, for our sake, that all of this is timed right because it will be our last opportunity to rid ourselves of the SBC and ULM. If Troy, MT and UNT bolt to another conference along with LA Tech, we will be left with the remains of the SBC along with ULM and will have to again recruit 1AA schools to fill the void. Woe be us if that happens.