_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hosting at Earl K. Long why not?

Default Hosting at Earl K. Long why not?

The men's basketball team couldn't play in the Cajun Done due to timing and scheduling. So why couldn't they play at Earl K. Long (like the ladies)? I know it's small but wouldn't it be better to play a game at "home" instead of travel cost and whatnot?

RaginScotsman is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Hosting at Earl K. Long why not?

That's a good question. Barring any conflicts with Women's games, I don't see why they would consider Blackham and not EK Long. The only catch would be that the university wants to make money out of the deal and the gym only holds 1121. Even if you sell out, you'll take a hit on ticket, concession, and any other game day revenue as opposed to a venue that would allow for 2000+ more people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    That's a good question. Barring any conflicts with Women's games, I don't see why they would consider Blackham and not EK Long. The only catch would be that the university wants to make money out of the deal and the gym only holds 1121. Even if you sell out, you'll take a hit on ticket, concession, and any other game day revenue as opposed to a venue that would allow for 2000+ more people.
    You just answered the question, you can't sell enough tickets to cover the cost of hosting in EK Long.

Blog Entries

Does the Cajun Invitational Tournament limit how much you can charge for a ticket?

If not you most certainly could generate enough money from 1100 tickets.

granted it would take a decent opponent.

If what I hear is correct; you pay $50k to host a game in this tournament but the CIT pays for the visiting teams travel expenses.

To me it is very hard to justify a home game; well after watching 20 something turnovers it is.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    If what I hear is correct; you pay $50k to host a game in this tournament but the CIT pays for the visiting teams travel expenses.

To me it is very hard to justify a home game; well after watching 20 something turnovers it is.
    I don't think the hosting cost is anywhere near 50 grand. I believe we paid 25 grand in 2012 when we hosted Rice. Still, at $10 a ticket, you would need about 2000 people to break even. Concessions may get you over the top. Perhaps we could charge $20 a ticket at EKL and break even. That may be an option in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't think the hosting cost is anywhere near 50 grand. I believe we paid 25 grand in 2012 when we hosted Rice. Still, at $10 a ticket, you would need about 2000 people to break even. Concessions may get you over the top. Perhaps we could charge $20 a ticket at EKL and break even. That may be an option in the future.
    EK Long works for the women's game because the cost to host is cheaper then men' tournaments. With the Rodeo scheduled to be a yearly event on the calendar, we weren't going to be able to host for the NIT either. We need to do better long term planning, getting the Blackham Coliseum ready to host as a back-up should be a priority after this year. You can't reward your season ticket holders and fans in any of the tournaments like the NIT, CIT or CBI if you are not hosting games at home. But, I guess I'm just being negative!

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    EK Long works for the women's game because the cost to host is cheaper then men' tournaments. With the Rodeo scheduled to be a yearly event on the calendar, we weren't going to be able to host for the NIT either. We need to do better long term planning, getting the Blackham Coliseum ready to host as a back-up should be a priority after this year. You can't reward your season ticket holders and fans in any of the tournaments like the NIT, CIT or CBI if you are not hosting games at home. But, I guess I'm just being negative!
    I agree with what CajunT wrote above. I don't know what would be involved in having Blackham as a backup site but it should be looked into.

Well, I certainly agree with you about getting Blackham up to snuff as a back-up....I am not sure what needs to be done to accomplish this, but hopefully it wouldn't cost too much $$$, and it would be great thing to have.
    I just don't know if I would classify it is a priority....what with all the other things we need to get done.......and since Blackham is no where to be found on the Athletic Master Plan, I don't think we can expect any $$$ put into it anytime soon.

Blog Entries

I think "The Voice of the Ragin' Cajuns" would prefer to say "you are the proverbial Turd in the punch bowl."

Oh, another good one he used today is "elitists fans."

That's what he says on the air about fans who have a different opinion than him (this afternoon) after he trolls around on Ragin' Pagin looking for topics to talk about during his show.

Pretty impressive how someone can continuously speak down to a group of fans (especially how we like to post on message boards), who are the life-blood of the athletic program, that one earns a living from.

Without Ragin'Pagin the jobs of the local radio hosts would be much more difficult. They would not have an easy source of topics that the local fans are obviously interested in. That is my opinion (I have no radio experience and can only imagine how difficult it must be) but I would be interested to hear what the radio hosts have to say about this.

Turbine should be on KPEL's payroll.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns_fan View Post
    Well, I certainly agree with you about getting Blackham up to snuff as a back-up....I am not sure what needs to be done to accomplish this, but hopefully it wouldn't cost too much $$$, and it would be great thing to have.
    I just don't know if I would classify it is a priority....what with all the other things we need to get done.......and since Blackham is no where to be found on the Athletic Master Plan, I don't think we can expect any $$$ put into it anytime soon.
    I agree it wouldn't be a priority for them because of the focus on the Master Plan and the RCAF General Fund. But that being said, as along as the rodeo event is scheduled on the same weeks as the invitational tournaments, you will never be able to reward your season ticket holders and fans with hosting home games. But you do have time to get a good assessment of what the cost with be to get Blackham Coliseum up to par with the basic improvements to host if needed. I'm not talking about a complete renovation here, simply meeting the requirements to host such games and maybe the occasional throw back game at times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    I think "The Voice of the Ragin' Cajuns" would prefer to say "you are the proverbial Turd in the punch bowl."

Oh, another good one he used today is "elitists fans."

That's what he says on the air about fans who have a different opinion than him (this afternoon) after he trolls around on Ragin' Pagin looking for topics to talk about during his show.

Pretty impressive how someone can continuously speak down to a group of fans (especially how we like to post on message boards), who are the life-blood of the athletic program, that one earns a living from.

Without Ragin'Pagin the jobs of the local radio hosts would be much more difficult. They would not have an easy source of topics that the local fans are obviously interested in. That is my opinion (I have no radio experience and can only imagine how difficult it must be) but I would be interested to hear what the radio hosts have to say about this.

Turbine should be on KPEL's payroll.
    I didn't hear his comments, so I'm not sure what he stated. But the voice of the Ragin Cajuns is a special position to hold in the UL community. But there is no voice of the fans, that is not his job and nor will he ever be accused of being that person.

Will the proposed and approved reconfiguration of seating in the cajundome force games to be moved, or will all be completed in offseason?

I agree it wouldn't be a priority for them because of the focus on the Master Plan and the RCAF General Fund. But that being said, as along as the rodeo event is scheduled on the same weeks as the invitational tournaments, you will never be able to reward your season ticket holders and fans with hosting home games. But you do have time to get a good assessment of what the cost with be to get Blackham Coliseum up to par with the basic improvements to host if needed. I'm not talking about a complete renovation here, simply meeting the requirements to host such games and maybe the occasional throw back game at times.
    Yeah, we agree it would be great to see it in use again...even just occasionally.
    But I would really like to know what kind of cost would be involved....like u said, not a total re-do, just what it would take to get it up to snuff. I don't remember: is it even air conditioned? lol

Blog Entries

But there is no voice of the fans, that is not his job and nor will he ever be accused of being that person.
    You lost me on this post.
    That came out of left field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    You lost me on this post.
    That came out of left field.
    Simply saying he is known as the voice of the Ragin Cajuns, not of the fans.

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by dms4720 View Post
    Will the proposed and approved reconfiguration of seating in the cajundome force games to be moved, or will all be completed in offseason?
    It was my understanding that the remodeling will occur in the offseason and not interfere with the regular season. Maybe from like May(after graduation) to November.

Throw down the court in cajun field give me beer and I'm there! Michigan st played on an aircraft carrier so anything is possible

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Why would you not hold the rodeo at Blackham as I thought that was the purpose in leaving the building intact. If not, why is it still standing while that would be a perfect spot for additional student housing with easy access to athletic events which might help attendance. You could also move the intramural field(s) currently across from Lamson to the Blackham area and create additional parking across from Lamson that could be used for softball and football (tailgating) and class parking with the benefit of having an underpass so you don't have to cross Cajundome Boulevard. JMO

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

So you wanted to double down that opinion. LOL

Agree with you. Why is it and cow barns still there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast