_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worst call ever by a sun belt ref

Default Worst call ever by a sun belt ref

My god. This sun belt crew was awful. The fair catch interference was just blatantly bad. The touching on the punt, I just cant fathom how they came to the conclusion it touched a cajun. I was 20 feet from the play. The first team to touch it was ULM. It never came close to a cajun. I cant count the missed holding calls. Awful. The refs tried as hard as they could to keep ULM from blowing the game but they couldnt do it. Regardless. The good guys won.

Default Re: Worst call ever by a sun belt ref

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    _ My god. This sun belt crew was awful. The fair catch interference was just blatantly bad. The touching on the punt, I just cant fathom how they came to the conclusion it touched a cajun. I was 20 feet from the play. The first team to touch it was ULM. It never came close to a cajun. I cant count the missed holding calls. Awful. The refs tried as hard as they could to keep ULM from blowing the game but they couldnt do it. Regardless. The good guys won. _

I'd have to agree, but the worst call was the pass interference on a terrible pass that was about 10 yards short. You never know what goofy call these guys were going to make next.

_ My god. This sun belt crew was awful. The fair catch interference was just blatantly bad. The touching on the punt, I just cant fathom how they came to the conclusion it touched a cajun. I was 20 feet from the play. The first team to touch it was ULM. It never came close to a cajun. I cant count the missed holding calls. Awful. The refs tried as hard as they could to keep ULM from blowing the game but they couldnt do it. Regardless. The good guys won. _
    From the guys behind me, because the returner made a fair catch signal, the ball must hit the ground for it to be considered a muff. The fact that it hit him does not make it a muff. He still has a right to make a complete reception of the punt, which includes having it him in the chest, bounce in the air, and then catch it again. No one can touch him until he makes the complete catch.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Worst call ever by a sun belt ref

It's a good thing I wasn't only 20 feet away from that f#in' play, 'cause I'd be sitting in jail right now and that ref would be in the GDF#IN HOSPITAL with a broken nose!!! As it is, I left my friends in the stands, went up in the concourse area and went on a loud, cursing tirade for about 10 minutes before I went back!!! I told my friends I was going to go to Wright Waters' office next week (I only live about a 2-minute drive away!) and jump his @$$ about the piece of $h|t refs he's got working in this Conference!!!

If a valid fair catch signal is made, protection is afforded the receiving player until the ball touches the ground. Had we let it touch the ground (which it was most certainly on it's way towards), no penalty...

The blooper pass was not catchable by the receiver that drew the pass interference call...

What about the punt where it was ruled that our player inadvertantly made contact with the ball? Anyone see the replay well enough to see what happened?

On the bright side, an official did call intentional grounding (and the head linesman was not able to talk the official that threw the flag into waiving it off, despite his apparent best effort to do so); a touchdown was reversed on instant replay, and pass interference was actually called on the guy defending PeeWee, twice...

Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    _ If a valid fair catch signal is made, protection is afforded the receiving player until the ball touches the ground. Had we let it touch the ground (which it was most certainly on it's way towards), no penalty...
    The ball bounced directly from the reciever's hands into our defender's hands with NO contact made. The defender was supposed to let the ball drop to the ground??? THAT'S STUPID!!!

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    If a valid fair catch signal is made, protection is afforded the receiving player until the ball touches the ground. Had we let it touch the ground (which it was most certainly on it's way towards), no penalty...

The blooper pass was not catchable by the receiver that drew the pass interference call...

What about the punt where it was ruled that our player inadvertantly made contact with the ball? Anyone see the replay well enough to see what happened?

On the bright side, an official did call intentional grounding (and the head linesman was not able to talk the official that threw the flag into waiving it off, despite his apparent best effort to do so); a touchdown was reversed on instant replay, and pass interference was actually called on the guy defending PeeWee, twice...
    Thanks for coming by in those miserable conditions yesterday.. Always great seeing you.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Thanks for coming by in those miserable conditions yesterday.. Always great seeing you.

Z _
    I'm sorry I didn't get to visit with you guys yesterday. Hopefully we'll have some better conditions next week and I'll make every effort to come see y'all!!

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

What I say on the fair catch punt was this. The one calling for the fair catch did not touch the ball. Another player who did not call for the fair catch attempted to catch the ball and muffed it. He was hit and the ball was on the turf and we recovered it......that's what I saw. Anyone else saw the same.......

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The bad calls on the unusual plays was frustrating enough but the routine calls that were missed were horrible. There were some holding calls out in the open and blocks in the back right in front of officials that they missed. The conference has to do something about improving the officiating in the league. Regardless of whether our team wins or loses, it is embarrassing as a conference to have such ____-poor officiating week after week.

Are they worse than SEC refs? Obviously, the NCAA needs to get involved to ensure proper training. A lot of these guys are clueless.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Man, that was some miserable weather to sit through... the win made it not so bad.

I couldn't get over how many times the officials conferenced to make a play call. I like them to conference when there are questions and such... but they got together to discuss routine calls on every other play. I didn't feel like, as an officiating group, they had a lot of experience and confidence calling the game.

I know one of the SBC refs (Baton Rouge guy) just made the move to the SEC this year. I think the SBC gets a lot of inexperienced officials. We... and they... are fortunate the good guys won that game.

Every call they made was a conference. They got together to discuss the simplest call, like the false start on 4th and 1. Its like they didnt want to call em. The incomplete pass ruled a touchdown for Monroe, the back judge called it incomplete, but was overruled by the Side judge. The replay showed the back judge was correct and was overruled why? This seemed like a blatant attempt by the Sun Belt to get 3 7 win teams. It didnt happen. Cheaters never prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ Man, that was some miserable weather to sit through... the win made it not so bad.

I couldn't get over how many times the officials conferenced to make a play call. I like them to conference when there are questions and such... but they got together to discuss routine calls on every other play. I didn't feel like, as an officiating group, they had a lot of experience and confidence calling the game.
    Every call they made was a conference. They got together to discuss the simplest call, like the false start on 4th and 1. Its like they didnt want to call em. The incomplete pass ruled a touchdown for Monroe, the back judge called it incomplete, but was overruled by the Side judge. The replay showed the back judge was correct and was overruled why? This seemed like a blatant attempt by the Sun Belt to get 3 7 win teams. It didnt happen. Cheaters never prosper.
    I have never seen anything like this either. I referred to it in my ealier post in this thread, where the grounding call was made and the Ref with the white hat on appeared to try to argue the guy that made the call into rescending it. It looked to me like he walked by the guy with the white hat on, shaking his head "NO" in defiance, and made the proper call. I was sitting directly in front of where this call mas made and argued.

I did not get to see the fair catch interference play very well, as it occured at the other end of the stadium, but the rule states, the receiver that has signaled for a fair catch has a right to do so until the ball hits the ground. This seems to infer that a player from the kicking team cannot touch the ball until it hits the ground, period, if a fair catch is signalled.

Dead Where Caught
    ARTICLE 1. a. When a Team B player makes a fair catch, the ball becomes dead
    where caught and belongs to Team B at that spot.
    b. When a valid fair catch signal is made, the unimpeded opportunity to catch
    a free or scrimmage kick is extended to a player who muffs the kick and still
    has an opportunity to complete the catch. This protection terminates when the
    kick touches the ground. If the player subsequently catches the kick, the ball is
    placed where it was first touched (A.R. 6-5-1-I-IV).

The refs were terrible... but the fair catch interference was correct... A muffed punt doesn't happen until the ball hits the ground, like you I was unaware of that rule... I heard the linesman explain it to our coaching staff. Had there been no fair catch call made that was "valid" it would have been a turnover.

The punt actually came within milimeters of Lance Kelly, I know because I was zoomed in on him during the play... I don't believe he touched it because he didn't flinch as the ball brushed by him. But the call on the field was that he did.... Our poor quality cameras are unable to show any evidence one way or another as to whether it touched him or not.

The replay did not overturn the call not because the replay showed the ball hitting Kelly... The replay just did not show any evidence one way or the other... so the call on the field stood... but it came close to a Cajun... it may have touched Kelly, I think it didn't because he didn't react to it.

To say it never came close to a Cajun makes me doubt your vision especially if you were only 20 feet from the play [which is impossible unless you are an official or one of the 22 players involved in the play as it happened in the middle of the field]

I agree with you on the missed holding calls.... but we got a break on the touchdown replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirogue View Post
    _ The refs were terrible... but the fair catch interference was correct... A muffed punt doesn't happen until the ball hits the ground, like you I was unaware of that rule... I heard the linesman explain it to our coaching staff. Had there been no fair catch call made that was "valid" it would have been a turnover.

The punt actually came within milimeters of Lance Kelly, I know because I was zoomed in on him during the play... I don't believe he touched it because he didn't flinch as the ball brushed by him. But the call on the field was that he did.... Our poor quality cameras are unable to show any evidence one way or another as to whether it touched him or not.

The replay did not overturn the call not because the replay showed the ball hitting Kelly... The replay just did not show any evidence one way or the other... so the call on the field stood... but it came close to a Cajun... it may have touched Kelly, I think it didn't because he didn't react to it.

To say it never came close to a Cajun makes me doubt your vision especially if you were only 20 feet from the play [which is impossible unless you are an official or one of the 22 players involved in the play as it happened in the middle of the field]

I agree with you on the missed holding calls.... but we got a break on the touchdown replay. _
    I was on the student side on the railing at the 45 closest to the north endzone. I saw the play and I remember it well. The ball originaly hit and was at least 4 feet from Kelly, then it rolled back about 5 yards and thats where the ULM players were just trying to stop it from giving up any more yardage. There was no mad scramble like it actually hit a cajun, because it didnt. Kelly made no reaction because it never even came close to touching him. If it would have come close to hitting Kelly, or if it did, trust me we would all be gasping and covering our eyes knowing its now a live ball. None of that happened. And for the record, I was stone cold sober, and quite focused as Im a pretty crazy guy when I get in the stands. The ball didnt touch Kelly, whatever the refs saw, or didnt see was wrong. Dead wrong.

Youre right about the twenty feet. May have been 30. i was right behind the ULM bench on the railing and I had an unobscured line of sight for that play. BTW, for anyone else on the railing in that area, number 79 for ULM is Kenny ____ing Powers!

Youre right about the twenty feet. May have been 30. i was right behind the ULM bench on the railing and I had an unobscured line of sight for that play. BTW, for anyone else on the railing in that area, number 79 for ULM is Kenny ____ing Powers! _
    Sorry, I didn't see 79 say or do anything, but the Fat !#$# DT, #99 was jawen all game long, like they were gonna win the super bowl and nothin made me feel better than when that Fatty had to plunk his Arse down and watch us kneel the ball out of the victory formation. Ahh, good times in the Student Section.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirogue View Post

I agree with you on the missed holding calls.... but we got a break on the touchdown replay. _
    The thing that made me EXPLODE on that punt was the refs WEREN'T GOING TO MAKE THAT CALL UNTIL THE ENTIRE monrovian COACHING STAFF RAN OUT ON THE FIELD SCREAMING THAT THE BALL HIT ONE OF OUR GUYS!!! And the ref was like, "OK, mmon-ro's ball!" That's when I went up on the concourse and loudly emptied my ENTIRE gutter vocabulary!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84 View Post
    _ Sorry, I didn't see 79 say or do anything, but the Fat !#$# DT, #99 was jawen all game long, like they were gonna win the super bowl and nothin made me feel better than when that Fatty had to plunk his Arse down and watch us kneel the ball out of the victory formation. Ahh, good times in the Student Section. _
    Ahh yes, I remember him blowing us a kiss, and giving us the one finger salute.

Blog Entries

Coach said on the radio tonight the ball passed 2 feet from the Cajun player. He sent in the video to the person in charge of officials.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast