Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: General College Football Question

Default General College Football Question

The question has come up again this year. If Florida and Bama go to the SEC Championship both undefeated, should the loser still be #2 and play in the National Championship game. The question I ask is is this fair to the team who wins the SEC Championship to have to beat a team twice for a National Title when the loser only has to win once?

My opinion is that you should not be eligible to play for the National Title if you don't win your conference.

Default Re: General College Football Question

One of these two teams will lose obviously. I think that if Texas remains undefeated then they should be able to play for the national title. I do think there is a level of subjectivity however. If Texas were to lose a Colt McCoy and win but just look very average doing it and Alabama and Florida put on a show and prove that they are obviously the top two teams in the country, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem seeing them play again although it is unlikely to happen. There is nothing easy and close to nothing fair about the way college football finds its champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    _ The question has come up again this year. If Florida and Bama go to the SEC Championship both undefeated, should the loser still be #2 and play in the National Championship game. The question I ask is is this fair to the team who wins the SEC Championship to have to beat a team twice for a National Title when the loser only has to win once?

My opinion is that you should not be eligible to play for the National Title if you don't win your conference. _

I agree, but didn't that very thing happen as Oklahoma lost the title game to K State a few years ago and still played for the National Championship. The question was raised back then about having to a least win a conference championship to play for a national championship. I'm not sure that was ever resolved.

I disagree that you need to win your conference to play in the BCS title game. The purpose of the game is to matchup the top two teams in the country. Now, while I think the system is extremly flawed, if the top two teams should be matched up no matter what conference they are in.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    _ I disagree that you need to win your conference to play in the BCS title game. The purpose of the game is to matchup the top two teams in the country. Now, while I think the system is extremly flawed, if the top two teams should be matched up no matter what conference they are in. _
    I could agree with that, but I will stand by the fact (in my example) that it puts the winner of the SEC Championship at a disadvantage. They have to beat a team a second time while the loser of the conference championship only has to win once.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    _ The question has come up again this year. If Florida and Bama go to the SEC Championship both undefeated, should the loser still be #2 and play in the National Championship game. The question I ask is is this fair to the team who wins the SEC Championship to have to beat a team twice for a National Title when the loser only has to win once?

My opinion is that you should not be eligible to play for the National Title if you don't win your conference. _
    On principle the losing team of the conference championship game should not get another chance in the NC. If they were good enough to be national champs, they'd have done it the first time.
    To me it would be pretty hollow to have (for example) Fla. lose to Bama in the SEC and then turn around and beat them in the NC. Which of these teams would you say is better after the two games? Neither.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleton View Post
    _ On principle the losing team of the conference championship game should not get another chance in the NC. If they were good enough to be national champs, they'd have done it the first time.
    To me it would be pretty hollow to have (for example) Fla. lose to Bama in the SEC and then turn around and beat them in the NC. Which of these teams would you say is better after the two games? Neither. _
    Definitely agree with everything. However, the more instances like this, one would think that the pressure on the BCS would continue to grow for a playoff system. If enough Conference Losers or non Conference Championship participants continue to get in, then something has to change.

Also, I dont believe 2 members of a single conference meeting will ever meet in the NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleton View Post
    _ On principle the losing team of the conference championship game should not get another chance in the NC. If they were good enough to be national champs, they'd have done it the first time.
    To me it would be pretty hollow to have (for example) Fla. lose to Bama in the SEC and then turn around and beat them in the NC. Which of these teams would you say is better after the two games? Neither. _
    Even though in any given year they could be the best 2 teams, and deserving of being in the championship game. Regardless, I actually agree that it shouldn't be a re-match at this point. Win your conference to earn the chance to play for the pretty crystal football.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    _ Even though in any given year they could be the best 2 teams, and deserving of being in the championship game. Regardless, I actually agree that it shouldn't be a re-match at this point. Win your conference to earn the chance to play for the pretty crystal football. _
    Yea, because essentially, the conference championship game would be devalued to a warmup (depending on how it fell compared to other conference championships) and if the loser won the 2nd game, then what's the reward for beating them the first time.

OK, here's another question. What if two Pac-10 or Big-10 schools are undefeated at the end of the season and ranked 1-2 in the BCS poll? They are co-champs of their conference. Should they play for the BCS title?

I think that's a main area where the BCS is flawed. A conference with a title game basically gets extra points for the winning team. Of course, at the same time, the losing team is penalized.

_ OK, here's another question. What if two Pac-10 or Big-10 schools are undefeated at the end of the season and ranked 1-2 in the BCS poll? They are co-champs of their conference. Should they play for the BCS title?

I think that's a main area where the BCS is flawed. A conference with a title game basically gets extra points for the winning team. Of course, at the same time, the losing team is penalized. _
    The Pac-10 and Big-10 should probably have conference championships.

I meant two undefeated from the same. I used those two conferences as examples because they don't have a championship game.

igeaux.mobi

Right. Well, there's really nothing logical or fair about the BCS.

Quote Originally Posted by WadeWilson View Post
    Right. Well, there's really nothing logical or fair about the BCS.
    I think that's probably the only thing we can all agree on.

igeaux.mobi

_ I think that's probably the only thing we can all agree on.

igeaux.mobi _
    Haha, it does make for some pretty exciting matchups though. I look forward to bowl games way more than I do any regular season games of any of the teams I follow.

Seriously though, I think a few people before had mentioned a loser of a conference championship game still getting into the BCS. Most of the time, with the SEC, it doesn't seem to work out that way. Last year Alabama did actually make it to the BCS even though they lost the SEC championship, but they were undefeated in the regular season. in 2007, LSU beat UT in the SEC CG, and Georgia jumped UT and got into the sugar bowl. In 2006, Arkansas lost the SEC CG to Florida, and LSU went to the BCS because we had beated Arkansas. In 2005, LSU won the western division, and lost the SEC championship, so we ended up in the Peach Bowl. Bottom line, it's very unlikely for 2 undefeated teams to reach the SEC championship, as it is for any other conference.

_ The Pac-10 and Big-10 should probably have conference championships. _

They can't. A conference has to have a minimum of 12 members to have a championship game. The PAC 10 has 10 members and the Big 10 has 11. Neither seems to want to expand to 12.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ They can't. A conference has to have a minimum of 12 members to have a championship game. The PAC 10 has 10 members and the Big 10 has 11. Neither seems to want to expand to 12. _
    Aaahh. Thanks for the correction.

_ The Pac-10 and Big-10 should probably have conference championships. _
    I am an advocate of a having the Pac10 No. Play the Big Televen No.1 to make up for the lack of a conference championship with the winner getting the BSC title shot.

That is, of course, until we can rid ourselves of this awful BCS mess and have a true playoff that is fair to most.

_ Aaahh. Thanks for the correction. _

I wish they would expand because that would start the dominos falling for conference reallignment. Hopefully that will occur within the next 5 years, but there are no current indications of that happening (wishful thinking on my part, but who knows). That would give UL time to complete its stadium improvements. In case you didn't know, we are underway building a new softball stadium, baseball stadium and new turf, track & field facility add-ons, athletic dormitory upgrade, and within 2-3 years will start enlarging and enhancing Cajun Field. Projections are to bowl the stadium, tear down the press box and partial upper deck and build a new press box with several levels of suites that will span a full 100 yards and possibly putting an upper deck on the other side. Should increase seating to around 50,000. Mix that with a few bowl game appearances and increased attendance and support, and we will be ready for any reallignment that occurs.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Maybe Notre Dame to the big 10 and what 2 go pac- tening????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast