Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
Results 201 to 215 of 215

Thread: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,511

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    But what does that mean in 300 plus schools to finish 199.
    We MIGHT get invited to the leftovers tournament. Call it what you wish, many still view the NIT to represent Not In Tournament. This 3rd level tournament is akin to trophy and coke mentality.

    I refuse to call this tournament by its proper name, won't contribute to an illusion of achievement.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    That sounds like self imposed restrictions. What is the state supposed to do? Give us $40 million for athletics?

    Who is responsible for pushing the Louisiana brand? Who is responsible for growing RCAF? Completing the Master Plan?

    Answer those questions for me and tell me who is responsible for all of those things. The university has no spine and they are not willing to shake any tree for reprisals that won't happen.
    The state doesn't have to give us $40 mill but they could let us impose student fees like the rest of the country. That would be great.

    As for the rest of your post, I won't argue that.

  3. #203
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,150

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    The state doesn't have to give us $40 mill but they could let us impose student fees like the rest of the country. That would be great.

    As for the rest of your post, I won't argue that.
    We can implement student fees, it just has to pass a student vote. Again, this is a self imposed restriction.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prairieville, LA
    Posts
    858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    I think student assessed fees are necessary to complete the athletic master plan and move to another conference.


  5. #205
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    I think student assessed fees are necessary to complete the athletic master plan and move to another conference.
    I believe this to be true as well

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I believe ourRPI was around 315 prior to the UALR game. That my friend is unacceptable.
    Again ... RPI is a useless measure this early in the season, especially for a G5 conference school.

  7. #207
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,601

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    I saw tonight for the first time this team really coming together---Realize that the only guy that started off of last year's team is Long---So you got a new 1,2,3, 4 plus 2 freshmen and some of last year's backups---think I am pretty close on that

    but man we looked good tonight and seemed again to be a lot more fitting into the bind!!!


  8. #208
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,854

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I believe ourRPI was around 315 prior to the UALR game. That my friend is unacceptable.
    I agree a 315 RPI is disappointing. I am sure it has improved some from the last two games. How much so I do not know. For it to jump to a respectable level, we probably need a winning streak of 6+ games. I was encouraged by tonight's crowd of almost 400O on a rainy night.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I agree a 315 RPI is disappointing. I am sure it has improved some from the last two games. How much so I do not know. For it to jump to a respectable level, we probably need a winning streak of 6+ games. I was encouraged by tonight's crowd of almost 400O on a rainy night.
    Mike, BOP or Melrock, you guys know this program probably better than anyone on this board. Do you guys feel like in non-conference games, Marlin rotates players more than he "should" to figure out who gels the best so when conference comes along he knows who plays best together? Never wanted to bring this up in past debates bc I don't want it to come across as an excuse. Losses are losses, just thinking out loud.

  10. #210
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,854

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    Mike, BOP or Melrock, you guys know this program probably better than anyone on this board. Do you guys feel like in non-conference games, Marlin rotates players more than he "should" to figure out who gels the best so when conference comes along he knows who plays best together? Never wanted to bring this up in past debates bc I don't want it to come across as an excuse. Losses are losses, just thinking out loud.
    You may have a point in Coach playing lots of guys early in the year to figure out what the proper rotation is. Note, we played 13 guys tonight and 11 played in the first half. Therefore he is still playing lots of guys even as conference play has started. I think that will continue as it helps wear down the opponent. He then plays the guys in the 2nd half who seem to be on that night. Note we did OK in non conference games last season. However, that is the only time in his tenure here that has occurred. That is probably because we were bringing back a lot of guys from the previous year.

  11. #211
    MelRock's Avatar
    MelRock is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,536

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    Mike, BOP or Melrock, you guys know this program probably better than anyone on this board. Do you guys feel like in non-conference games, Marlin rotates players more than he "should" to figure out who gels the best so when conference comes along he knows who plays best together? Never wanted to bring this up in past debates bc I don't want it to come across as an excuse. Losses are losses, just thinking out loud.
    It could be, Mike and I talked at halftime and he said (and I agree) that we should rotate in in the first half and go with the hot hand in the 2nd. I wasn't here for his first year, but I can tell you this is the first team that he has had depth on the team.

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,530
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    We should just drop basketball then, if we can't ever expect to have a consistent winner then what are we doing wasting the money? Drop the program and dump all the money into football. You can't have both so screw it.
    Well I think think the advertising value to UL when the school is only .500 in basketball is double the value they could get if same moneys were invested in any other medium outside of sports.

    The advertising value to UL when the school is winning is worth much more.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,530
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    We MIGHT get invited to the leftovers tournament. Call it what you wish, many still view the NIT to represent Not In Tournament. This 3rd level tournament is akin to trophy and coke mentality.

    I refuse to call this tournament by its proper name, won't contribute to an illusion of achievement.
    People will forget where they first heard your name or brand, but getting name or brand exposure is crucial before you ever approach them about making a sell.

    Whether a prospective student or recruit, you can only hope you don't have to explain your brand the first time you meet.

    The golden words are "I've heard of you."

    No tournament is valueless.

    jmo

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    Mike, BOP or Melrock, you guys know this program probably better than anyone on this board. Do you guys feel like in non-conference games, Marlin rotates players more than he "should" to figure out who gels the best so when conference comes along he knows who plays best together? Never wanted to bring this up in past debates bc I don't want it to come across as an excuse. Losses are losses, just thinking out loud.
    You are correct. The coaching staff is trying to determine who are the best players. Some players are better practice players and some are better playing under the bright lights. This is the same situation that happens in football.

  15. #215
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,854

    Default Re: Final: Louisiana (83) at UALR (79)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfever View Post
    You are correct. The coaching staff is trying to determine who are the best players. Some players are better practice players and some are better playing under the bright lights. This is the same situation that happens in football.
    Also, some guys have trouble handling road pressure while they thrive at home. That even happens in the NBA. For example, Tyreke Evans of the Pelicans would be an All Star if he played only at home. Therefore at times your rotations have to be different away than it is at home. Generally, in college this changes with more time playing together. Too late now to make up for the non conference road losses. Have to win away from home in conference play some in order to have the season we all expected. Of course as the season goes along, opponents get more familiar with each other and there are more road wins throughout the league. We just have to minimize the times it happens to us.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •