Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
Results 161 to 179 of 179

Thread: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

  1. #161
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,664

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    He may or may not ever admit it, but marlins bad hire really hurt the program. I know people make mistakes and I'll give Bob credit, he realized the mistake and got rid of it. At the end if the day he hired Johnson and was his mistake. I hope marlin is the right guy, I personally just haven't seen anything that tells me he is for sure....also nothing that has told he for sure isn't. At this point, with his contract and his record it kind of just is what it is.
    Won/loss records and overall program success are still to be determined. What I absolutely credit him for is bringing Beryl Shipley back into the program and being unwilling to sweep our past successes under the rug. He was up front about that from the day he was hired, and is making sure the folks who were responsible for us being recognized nationally as a program were not forgotten. I'm not saying that they were related, but we put a bust if Coach Shipley in the lobby of the Cajundome, and this year they put one in Nachitoches. That's more than any other coach, wins and losses aside, was willing to say out loud in public. JMO

  2. #162
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,231

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Won/loss records and overall program success are still to be determined. What I absolutely credit him for is bringing Beryl Shipley back into the program and being unwilling to sweep our past successes under the rug. He was up front about that from the day he was hired, and is making sure the folks who were responsible for us being recognized nationally as a program were not forgotten. I'm not saying that they were related, but we put a bust if Coach Shipley in the lobby of the Cajundome, and this year they put one in Nachitoches. That's more than any other coach, wins and losses aside, was willing to say out loud in public. JMO
    +1000

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Won/loss records and overall program success are still to be determined. What I absolutely credit him for is bringing Beryl Shipley back into the program and being unwilling to sweep our past successes under the rug. He was up front about that from the day he was hired, and is making sure the folks who were responsible for us being recognized nationally as a program were not forgotten. I'm not saying that they were related, but we put a bust if Coach Shipley in the lobby of the Cajundome, and this year they put one in Nachitoches. That's more than any other coach, wins and losses aside, was willing to say out loud in public. JMO
    I don't question the mans character, intent or anything like that....but I think he should be accountable for all decisions pertaining to the basketball program, not just the good ones.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,291

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    How many times can we go around in circles before getting dizzy? Same points reiterated over and over and over… I just wasted 30 minutes and at least 30 brain cells reading this thread… How many of you were so ____ed you were ready to say Robe ain't our guy when we lost first game of the season to Eastern Illinois? How about when we lost our first game of regionals to Jackson state? Unexpected losses happen, typically more often on the road (even though the two examples I gave for baseball were both at home) and we can all agree we were more talented than both teams mentioned, just like we are most likely more talented than NWst. and McNeese. Can we give it a rest and let the season play out? Then if we happen to go 10-20 for the season we can have this discussion? Some of you are quick on the trigger… hope you don't own guns


  5. #165
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    You do realize that the Thomas boys asked to come back later, right? Dad said it was the worst mistake they made when they transferred.
    And that matter now in what way?

    Someone mentioned if he He makes a tournament run this year what will we have to say then. Well I'll be happy, but we have a long ___ way to go.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,231

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    And that matter now in what way?

    Someone mentioned if he He makes a tournament run this year what will we have to say then. Well I'll be happy, but we have a long ___ way to go.
    like duggie said, just can't help yourselves. haha. I kid. Merry Christmas everyone!

  7. #167
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,884

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Some here keep saying 4life and I want Marlin fired today, right now. I have never advocated he be fired at once or even at seasons end.

    My initial comment in this thread was that I do not think Marlin is a special not excellent head coach. I do not expect him to ever be pretty much better than we have seen.

    I lamented that we are locked in for years.

    We had three teams last year in the SBC that were OK. UL, WKU, and GAST. There is one this season. Doing well in the SBC does not make you good. I will be very happy if we are 2/3 after five games in conference. Do not be shocked if we are 1/4.

    The unfortunate thing is we are a lot more talented than four of the fist five we will face. Also more talented than Brokeback U or NWSU Deamons.


  8. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,861
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    If Marlin keeps graduating juniors to the NBA, his teams will start out slow every year.


  9. #169
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If Marlin keeps graduating juniors to the NBA, his teams will start out slow every year.
    Doesn't phase Kentucky, really Callipari.

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    10,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If Marlin keeps graduating juniors to the NBA, his teams will start out slow every year.
    I rather lose A guy to the nba after 3 years than have a kid who only gives 3 years of production because it took him 2 to develop, I bet every coach would take that problem.

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,861
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Doesn't phase Kentucky, really Callipari.
    Ultimate exception in the history of collegiate sports.

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Yeah well I trust a Lotief and Robicheaux led team to bring it day in and day out. Not so much with Marlin and basketball.

    Dismiss RPI all you want, but it does matter. We need a top 50 RPI for any chance at an at large bid.

    I expect us to be like St Mary's, Gonzaga, Butler or any other mid major program that wins. Please don't tell me that is unrealistic. If you feel that way then we have dropped our expectations to a level that is depressing.
    I'm not dismissing RPI come Tourney Selection time, I'm just saying only an idiot cares about RPI 10 games into the season. IF we happened to be Top 50 RPI right now, but didnt win the SunBelt regular season or tourney it wouldn't mean jack anyway 11 games in.

    Again ... only an idiot ... basketball season is pretty long, let's talk it about near the end of the Sun Belt regualr season before the tourney.

    The SBC is a one bid conference regardless.

    Another reason we need outta here.

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,536

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    We need a top 50 RPI for any chance at an at large bid.
    Better make that top 40 or better. Tons of one bid conferences and power conferences non automatic qualifiers take half the field. The last time we made it without the automatic bid was with Bobby P in the 80's.

    Until we are in a conference where basketball is a league priority, most of us pine away for whatever we personally considered "good" Cajun basketball years back.

  14. #174
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by epiccajun View Post
    I'm not dismissing RPI come Tourney Selection time, I'm just saying only an idiot cares about RPI 10 games into the season. IF we happened to be Top 50 RPI right now, but didnt win the SunBelt regular season or tourney it wouldn't mean jack anyway 11 games in.

    Again ... only an idiot ... basketball season is pretty long, let's talk it about near the end of the Sun Belt regualr season before the tourney.

    The SBC is a one bid conference regardless.

    Another reason we need outta here.
    Your RPI at this point is baked in. We can pretty much win out and won't crack 250.

    Your only goal seems NCAA tourney. I on the other hand want a good team, a team that can compete. One like Lee had inherited from Jesse that competed well against U of L.

    Almost any bad team can win a NCAA trip. Please aim much higher. Clearly we are dealing with a group that never knew great teams we had.

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Your RPI at this point is baked in. We can pretty much win out and won't crack 250.

    Your only goal seems NCAA tourney. I on the other hand want a good team, a team that can compete. One like Lee had inherited from Jesse that competed well against U of L.

    Almost any bad team can win a NCAA trip. Please aim much higher. Clearly we are dealing with a group that never knew great teams we had.
    I've been watching Cajuns basketball since I was a kid and watched Toney play. I am as familiar with the Cajun's basketball teams as most.

    I do want them to reach a higher level of success, and I think Marlin can do that. If we selfishly could have kept Elfrid off the Team USA teams and Marlin had not promoted him to others in the business, he might still be around for his senior year, and we'd be a Top 40 type team ...... however, Marlin did the right thing and developed Elfrid and got him to the NBA.

    Marlin knows how to coach and win, and I believe he may have us in the tourney again this year. If he does that, woth Corey Davis coming here to run the point, the future may be brighter than you think.

  16. #176
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by epiccajun View Post
    I'm not dismissing RPI come Tourney Selection time, I'm just saying only an idiot cares about RPI 10 games into the season. IF we happened to be Top 50 RPI right now, but didnt win the SunBelt regular season or tourney it wouldn't mean jack anyway 11 games in.

    Again ... only an idiot ... basketball season is pretty long, let's talk it about near the end of the Sun Belt regualr season before the tourney.

    The SBC is a one bid conference regardless.

    Another reason we need outta here.
    Our record is 3-5 against D1 opponents. Only an idiot would count those NAIA programs as more than practice.

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Our record is 3-5 against D1 opponents. Only an idiot would count those NAIA programs as more than practice.
    It's more difficult (statistically and realistically) to make the NCAA tourney, so if it happens for the second time in 2 years, most could care less what our record was in the first 8 games.


    By the way you talk about competing against U of L in '05 , go back and look and see how that team competed against Kansas, Vandy, and even the powerful University of Denver that same season.

    Seems like you only want to focus on the postseason results anyway to determine success...... so what does a useless RPI have to do with anything so early in the season?

  18. #178
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,934

    Default Re: Meanwhile, in Natchitoches

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    like duggie said, just can't help yourselves. haha. I kid. Merry Christmas everyone!
    What Cajun4Life meant by his statement that we have a long way to go is that we have much improvement to make before we can play at such a level that will result in a tournament championship. I agree with that and I bet the coaching staff does as well. It is their job to help that improvment occur. That is a tough job because their greatest challenge is not physical but mental. The win over La. Tech shows the talent is there (Tech had a big lead on NC State earlier tonight). That mental work involves being focused enough to win on the road. Look, bad things are going to happen in road games. Shawn Long foul trouble is common in those. Successful teams learn to fight through that and play on. I know I harp on the road thing a lot but I don't think most realize how different playing at home and on the road is in college basketball. A team cannot reach their potential until they learn how to handle the road challenge. I will say conference play sees more road wins than non conference as the teams are familiar with each other and arenas.

    As far as other teams in the league go, I have not looked in detail but I do know ULM was playing fairly well back in November. Ga. Southern has a guard that may be better than most and is a pro prospect (not necessarrily NBA). Georgia State is rightly the favorite and they come to the CajunDome on Thursday January 8.

  19. #179
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by epiccajun View Post
    It's more difficult (statistically and realistically) to make the NCAA tourney, so if it happens for the second time in 2 years, most could care less what our record was in the first 8 games.


    By the way you talk about competing against U of L in '05 , go back and look and see how that team competed against Kansas, Vandy, and even the powerful University of Denver that same season.

    Seems like you only want to focus on the postseason results anyway to determine success...... so what does a useless RPI have to do with anything so early in the season?
    Well I didn't bring up the '05 team. I never saw a single game they played. I was in Iraq during that time.

    Don't put words in my mouth either, I didn't say that post season was all that mattered. But a team is judged off of its RPI and 315 is garbage. No matter how you slice it.

    We are 6-5 against a garbage schedule. How anyone cannot grasp that is beyond me. Realistically we are 3-5, because three wins are against crap non-scholly programs.

    My realistic goals is to win 90% of the games we are suppose to win. I don't expect perfect seasons. IMO in a 25 ranked league I expect us to win 25 games a year given our tradition and facilities.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •