Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Default Re: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    How is TOPS paid for? Legit question I have always wanted to know but could never get a clear and concise answer to.
    It's basically a dedicated fund.

http://www.taylorplan.com/about/history/
    http://ballotpedia.org/Louisiana_TOP...(October_2011)
    http://www.americanpress.com/Beam-column-5-15-14
    http://theadvocate.com/news/8403732-123/story.html

So it was started with monies from Tobacco lawsuits, and now has to be funded each year by the state. That's what I gleamed from these links.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

There must be a reason for the cheaper tuition and I go back to the days of UNO and S'Eastern's growth and the fact that we wanted to continue being the 2nd largest school in the state---but lets say that tuition for UL is $5K and schools A, B, and C the tuition is $6K---If UL gets more students from its lower fee, say 10 at $5K, that is $50K more money---Going a bit further, 10K students at $6K brings in $60 million

but $5K for 20K students brings in $100 million

-Now I have no idea of the differential of tuition and the impact of choice by a potential college entrant, but I guess it does factor into a decision at times!!

BTW, I think that the math is correct but done quickly!!!

The cheapest tuition problem goes all the way back to when tuition was basically free.

In the 1940's UL received the smallest per student budget of any school in the State. Even then UL was the second largest school.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

---Getting T-Joe to UL was the equivalent of UL getting a Pete Carroll for a football coach

-The guy was the Commish of the ENTIRE STATE in higher education--head of the LSU, UL, Southern and JUCO Boards along with the Board of Regents

He came to UL because of his love for the school---he never moved from Lafayette---But what an example of intrinsic and knowledgeable hiring for the position!!! Also I think he does have a lot more political know how than some on here give him credit for---You don't get to the echelon of his positions by not pulling the right strings---I think we know so little on here than what is actually going on, but I sure have liked the last 5 years and the accomplishments other than the conference affiliation!!!

You also don't get to where he was without kissing the right azzes, Boom. The very fact that he was in the position he was in should have been a huge red flag. He is ALWAYS going to do the politically expedient thing, regardless of how it affects the alumni and students at UL.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    You also don't get to where he was without kissing the right azzes, Boom. The very fact that he was in the position he was in should have been a huge red flag. He is ALWAYS going to do the politically expedient thing, regardless of how it affects the alumni and students at UL.
    He sure did plant a big wet one in Bruno's ___. Hell he probably gave him tongue.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    He sure did plant a big wet one in Bruno's ___. Hell he probably gave him tongue.
    That's a visual thought I did not need....

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post

I'm not sure you can fault the university too much for current tuition prices, because it wasn't until '10 that schools could increase at least up to 10% without needing legislative approval.

Yes, but IIRC The Fossil passed on opportunities to raise tuition at all or as much as allowed even when the legislature gave the OK. There is no reason a university designated as a comprehensive, nationally competitive university with masters and doctoral programs should be less expensive than a state regional university.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I guess you weren't enrolled in Dr Bernard Bienvenu's management classes when the Harvard grad from St Martinville lectured on the difference between kissing _____e$ and kissing _____e$ for greater purposes

some call this politics which he has used quite well in the construction of the campus!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    So it was started with monies from Tobacco lawsuits, and now has to be funded each year by the state. That's what I gleamed from these links.
    I'm not sure exactly where the monies initially came from, as far as which part of the tax base. The vote to dedicate Tobacco settlement monies took place in 2011, years after the TOPS program was approved by the Legislature.

But yes, the state must find a way to fund it each year. I'm sure some private donations are made into it as well, but as you can see from the Advocate article, the state is burdened with a pretty huge chunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I'm not sure exactly where the monies initially came from, as far as which part of the tax base. The vote to dedicate Tobacco settlement monies took place in 2011, years after the TOPS program was approved by the Legislature.

But yes, the state must find a way to fund it each year. I'm sure some private donations are made into it as well, but as you can see from the Advocate article, the state is burdened with a pretty huge chunk.
    Just another one of those "untouchable" budget items that kick the can down the road to unprotected items.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

---Getting T-Joe to UL was the equivalent of UL getting a Pete Carroll for a football coach

-The guy was the Commish of the ENTIRE STATE in higher education--head of the LSU, UL, Southern and JUCO Boards along with the Board of Regents

He came to UL because of his love for the school---he never moved from Lafayette---But what an example of intrinsic and knowledgeable hiring for the position!!! Also I think he does have a lot more political know how than some on here give him credit for---You don't get to the echelon of his positions by not pulling the right strings---I think we know so little on here than what is actually going on, but I sure have liked the last 5 years and the accomplishments other than the conference affiliation!!!

Omg

That's called "tossing his salad!"

Yes, but IIRC The Fossil passed on opportunities to raise tuition at all or as much as allowed even when the legislature gave the OK. There is no reason a university designated as a comprehensive, nationally competitive university with masters and doctoral programs should be less expensive than a state regional university.
    Amen.......to your last comment especially.

I guess you weren't enrolled in Dr Bernard Bienvenu's management classes when the Harvard grad from St Martinville lectured on the difference between kissing _____e$ and kissing _____e$ for greater purposes

some call this politics which he has used quite well in the construction of the campus!!!

No, I was enrolled in the Celtic History class, the one that teaches you that YOUR family is the most important thing in your life except your personal honor, and your personal honor demands that you defend your family against all others, no matter what the personal cost.

Boomer, you are a good Catholic. Would you publicly deny your Catholicism because others surrounding you were not Catholic and hated Catholics?

It is no different than T-Joe saying to us "We are Louisiana", then weaseling when the ULM folks whined a little. Honor is black and white. You either have it or you don't.

William Wallace could have walked away a free man and a member of English nobility by simply declaring his [and Scotland's] allegiance to the crown. His response signed his death warrant and made him a hero to every generation of Scots for the last 900 years. It also created a bloodbath comprised largely of the blood of his compatriots; But not one of those men or women went to their death ashamed to be associated with Wallace or Scotland.

UL is OUR family. Savoie shames us and OUR family every time he weasels on the name; every time he does less than the absolute best he can do to advance our university; every time he kisses the ring of the UL system or its members on issues that MATTER to our University.

He is more Neville Chamberlain than William Wallace.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

No, I was enrolled in the Celtic History class, the one that teaches you that YOUR family is the most important thing in your life except your personal honor, and your personal honor demands that you defend your family against all others, no matter what the personal cost.

Boomer, you are a good Catholic. Would you publicly deny your Catholicism because others surrounding you were not Catholic and hated Catholics?

It is no different than T-Joe saying to us "We are Louisiana", then weaseling when the ULM folks whined a little. Honor is black and white. You either have it or you don't.

William Wallace could have walked away a free man and a member of English nobility by simply declaring his [and Scotland's] allegiance to the crown. His response signed his death warrant and made him a hero to every generation of Scots for the last 900 years. It also created a bloodbath comprised largely of the blood of his compatriots; But not one of those men or women went to their death ashamed to be associated with Wallace or Scotland.

UL is OUR family. Savoie shames us and OUR family every time he weasels on the name; every time he does less than the absolute best he can do to advance our university; every time he kisses the ring of the UL system or its members on issues that MATTER to our University.

Hear, hear!

"AState will make any move that makes financial sense or if there is an advantage in it. The closest CUSA is basically the same drive as the closest Sun Belt football school. Our neighbors down US49 would be appealing, but would AState shell out $3 million to join CUSA not knowing what the next TV deal is for CUSA? That would be a hard sell.

I don't in any way think AState and UL are joined other than that we share common vision and goals about the direction of athletics and share similar concerns about what teams may be added.

Am I skeptical that La.Tech would support UL? Absolutely. They share primary recruiting area. They both are trying to get support in overlapping areas, they have radio stations in the same markets. I can totally see them walking out of a CUSA meeting having cast a vote for the Cajuns after lobbying everyone to vote against them.

USA doesn't address what CUSA East seems to want (a Virginia school) but they aren't much worse than UAB for most of them to reach and they are actually a bit easier to reach for most of the West. They keep CUSA in Alabama."

The above quote from Mark Ferguson, an Arkansas State insider and the guru for all things Sun Belt contains a jewel which confirms my own beliefs about LaTech. Savoie better be burning up the phone lines with CUSA presidents to counter the poison being spewed by Ruston.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Good Catholic---I will let the Lord judge

Is it a sin to tell a lie??? Well Catholicism allows it in certain situations---I don't know the circumstances of that Monroe scoreboard situation, but I will hold my opinion until that time that I know the circumstances---maybe he chose keeping his job as president and opting for a more opportune time to fight the fight---As a learned war historian I am sure you could give me instances where retreat was turned into eventual victory---What was the guy that said "I shall return"??? LOL What really matters to our university is how he will sway the reduction cuts and keep our university moving along in this serious battle---Like I am sure it will be the case with all the effected schools, Athletics funding will have to be probably cut but we shall see what happens> And yes I am glad to have him and our financial VP leading and battling for us!!!

Blog Entries

"AState will make any move that makes financial sense or if there is an advantage in it. The closest CUSA is basically the same drive as the closest Sun Belt football school. Our neighbors down US49 would be appealing, but would AState shell out $3 million to join CUSA not knowing what the next TV deal is for CUSA? That would be a hard sell.

I don't in any way think AState and UL are joined other than that we share common vision and goals about the direction of athletics and share similar concerns about what teams may be added.

Am I skeptical that La.Tech would support UL? Absolutely. They share primary recruiting area. They both are trying to get support in overlapping areas, they have radio stations in the same markets. I can totally see them walking out of a CUSA meeting having cast a vote for the Cajuns after lobbying everyone to vote against them.

USA doesn't address what CUSA East seems to want (a Virginia school) but they aren't much worse than UAB for most of them to reach and they are actually a bit easier to reach for most of the West. They keep CUSA in Alabama."

The above quote from Mark Ferguson, an Arkansas State insider and the guru for all things Sun Belt contains a jewel which confirms my own beliefs about LaTech. Savoie better be burning up the phone lines with CUSA presidents to counter the poison being spewed by Ruston.
    VO, the problem with Louisiana Tech is verification. Should we trust them, heck no. But until we have any evidence, similar to Dooley's public comments as acting athletic director at a fundraiser we should take their word and hope Southern Miss or others will confirm their actions. You can't confront Louisiana Tech leaders on a hunch, or what some people think on a message board. Neither is an indication that they played both sides of the fence on considering UL as a possible member. Our most immediate concern today as I see it, is how much commitment does Dr. Savoie have to our athletic program outside of the confines of the Sun Belt Conference. We are going to get an answer very soon!

T, I am not suggesting that we confront Tech, only that we not trust them, and that we act accordingly.

Good Catholic---I will let the Lord judge

Is it a sin to tell a lie??? Well Catholicism allows it in certain situations---I don't know the circumstances of that Monroe scoreboard situation, but I will hold my opinion until that time that I know the circumstances---maybe he chose keeping his job as president and opting for a more opportune time to fight the fight---As a learned war historian I am sure you could give me instances where retreat was turned into eventual victory---What was the guy that said "I shall return"??? LOL What really matters to our university is how he will sway the reduction cuts and keep our university moving along in this serious battle---Like I am sure it will be the case with all the effected schools, Athletics funding will have to be probably cut but we shall see what happens> And yes I am glad to have him and our financial VP leading and battling for us!!!

I don't want any man leading me whose job is more important to him than his principles. You have suggested several times that this might be the case with Savoie. I find it especially repugnant in a case where if he loses his job, all he really loses is the title.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast