Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Thanks for posting this!!!!

Now can you email Farmer and T-Joe and ask them how things are going with C-USA?

-Well before the 5 year plan there were some very serious issues that needed to be addressed---student selectivity which was bad before the JUCO arrival, same with student retention and student graduation rates---these were taken care of and are now getting better and better---for whatever reason our alumni giving is not good enough and this could be for no game plan or something else

We all know the financial resources that have effected the La system---as far as administrative peer group rating and the guidance counselor deal I haven't a clue---I have heard that we don't have a sufficient # of Doctoral programs but that has been almost taken care of with new programs popping up

I think that the lag time for some of these criteria (4 years) for R&D is crazy

Think we have done some great things in the 5 years but much more to be done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

-Well before the 5 year plan there were some very serious issues that needed to be addressed---student selectivity which was bad before the JUCO arrival, same with student retention and student graduation rates---these were taken care of and are now getting better and better---for whatever reason our alumni giving is not good enough and this could be for no game plan or something else

We all know the financial resources that have effected the La system---as far as administrative peer group rating and the guidance counselor deal I haven't a clue---I have heard that we don't have a sufficient # of Doctoral programs but that has been almost taken care of with new programs popping up

Yes, we have just recently hired a new Dean of the Graduate College, Dr. Mary Farmer-Kaiser. One of her stated goals is to increase enrollment of grad students:

http://www.louisiana.edu/news-events...raduate-school

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Sufficient number of Doctoral programs would apply to Rating of Doc 1...tier 1 is a US news rating

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Bump. Because our people are f uakcqqn us and everyone needs to know about it.

Z

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Bump. Because our people are ____qn us and everyone needs to know about it.

Z
    Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really don't think we have any interest in C-USA. What is sad is because this university and its fans deserve more.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Really don't think we have any interest in C-USA. What is sad is because this university and its fans deserve more.
    The fans and students and alumni deserve MUCH more. The university administration is getting exactly what it wants and deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The fans and students and alumni deserve MUCH more. The university administration is getting exactly what it wants and deserves.
    It's the fans that get F'ed in the end.

Good Day, Men! Lets keep this in the forefront where it belongs.

Z

Morning, Z!

I just found this thread from the T-Joe hiring announcement and thought I'd leave it here for those interested in clicking and reading.

http://www.raginpagin.com/louisiana/...-unanimous-one

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Morning, Z!

I just found this thread from the T-Joe hiring announcement and thought I'd leave it here for those interested in clicking and reading.

http://www.raginpagin.com/louisiana/...-unanimous-one
    How thoughtful of you!

Z

Hope Houston is treating you well!

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Absolutely. T-Joe was exactly the wrong hire for this university. He is nothing more than a modern version of Ray. He is afraid of his own shadow, let alone the UL system board and every other school in the state, from lsu&a&mc@br through Bossier Community College.

He was hired to do exactly what he is doing. Make no mistake about that. He gives us just enough to give us hope that things are different; yet we have not achieved a single goal that he set out for us when he came aboard.

Tier 1? Nope, and no visible time line or plan to achieve it.

"We are Louisiana"? Well until some two bit jerkwater reporter, or the dipshirt president of ULmost whines in public. Then T-Joe does his best crawfish imitation.

Separate RCAF? See Tier 1.

And on and on and on.
    Idk man. I've seen more growth on this campus in 5 years than the 30 before it. I know sports plays a factor into it, but the students love the new dorms, union, and future buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan337 View Post
    Idk man. I've seen more growth on this campus in 5 years than the 30 before it. I know sports plays a factor into it, but the students love the new dorms, union, and future buildings.
    and also the fact that its the cheapest tuition anywhere. Thats a bonus. LOL!

Z

PS this is a sports board and we are talking about sports. We have a multitude of options at our disposal to make us one of the top mids anywhere. Our guys that have built those wonderful dorms arent allin with the athletics.... and this is an athletic sports board...I mentioned that, right??

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Z

PS this is a sports board and we are talking about sports. We have a multitude of options at our disposal to make us one of the top mids anywhere. Our guys that have built those wonderful dorms arent allin with the athletics.... and this is an athletic sports board...I mentioned that, right??
    Exactly, give TJoe all the credit he deserves on the academic side for the improvements get has made (yet still not Tier 1). But the total college experience most students and slums want includes successful athletics at the highest level. Those nice new dorms and classrooms will not be bringing those students back as alums (along with their money) year after year once they graduate. Successful D1A athletics against recognizable names will. That is what The Fossil failed to grasp. We list generations of alumni and their money whose allegiance drifted east in search of athletic entertainment while he let our athletics mired in mediocrity and futility. Now we gave TJoe possibly (there is still a slim window of opportunity to do the right thing) having us mired in a conference if D1A pretenders who alums won't give a ____ about seeing thus losing more generations of alumni and their money.

Edit: And yes this is a sports message board, not academic. At least not since CajunFun grew up and got a job and responsibilities.

Z

I know you laugh that we beat our chest saying we have the cheapest tuition around, but that's a HUGE selling point these days to kids/families with the O&G industry in a down cycle for the next year.

I'm not saying T-Joe doesn't have his faults and he's a giant _____ when it comes to politics, but to say he was the wrong hire for this university is a little drastic, IMO.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I know you laugh that we beat our chest saying we have the cheapest tuition around, but that's a HUGE selling point these days to kids/families with the O&G industry in a down cycle for the next year.

I'm not saying T-Joe doesn't have his faults and he's a giant _____ when it comes to politics, but to say he was the wrong hire for this university is a little drastic, IMO.
    Yes, it's a good selling point but then you also have the academic dude complaining about salaries and lack of equipment. Had The Fossil raised tuition along with all the other schools in the state to keep pace wouldn't the academic side have more money to hire and retain quality professors and upgrade classrooms and equipment?

There must be a reason for the cheaper tuition and I go back to the days of UNO and S'Eastern's growth and the fact that we wanted to continue being the 2nd largest school in the state---but lets say that tuition for UL is $5K and schools A, B, and C the tuition is $6K---If UL gets more students from its lower fee, say 10 at $5K, that is $50K more money---Going a bit further, 10K students at $6K brings in $60 million

but $5K for 20K students brings in $100 million

-Now I have no idea of the differential of tuition and the impact of choice by a potential college entrant, but I guess it does factor into a decision at times!!

BTW, I think that the math is correct but done quickly!!!

Problem, though, is that with cheap tuition, the state taxpayers are having to more heavily subsidize the university. And with low oil process affecting our #1 industry...less jobs/hours, etc., it's tougher for the taxbase to help the school keep pace.

I'm not sure you can fault the university too much for current tuition prices, because it wasn't until '10 that schools could increase at least up to 10% without needing legislative approval.

And even at that...the tuition increases will have diminished returns as long as the state keep promising that anyone with a 2.8 GPA and 19 on the ACT gets to go to the in-state public university of their choice for "free". TOPS is a worthwhile program, but if there aren't higher requirements put in place, tuition increases will continue to be heavy burdens on the state budgets as well.

---Getting T-Joe to UL was the equivalent of UL getting a Pete Carroll for a football coach

-The guy was the Commish of the ENTIRE STATE in higher education--head of the LSU, UL, Southern and JUCO Boards along with the Board of Regents

He came to UL because of his love for the school---he never moved from Lafayette---But what an example of intrinsic and knowledgeable hiring for the position!!! Also I think he does have a lot more political know how than some on here give him credit for---You don't get to the echelon of his positions by not pulling the right strings---I think we know so little on here than what is actually going on, but I sure have liked the last 5 years and the accomplishments other than the conference affiliation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Problem, though, is that with cheap tuition, the state taxpayers are having to more heavily subsidize the university. And with low oil process affecting our #1 industry...less jobs/hours, etc., it's tougher for the taxbase to help the school keep pace.

I'm not sure you can fault the university too much for current tuition prices, because it wasn't until '10 that schools could increase at least up to 10% without needing legislative approval.

And even at that...the tuition increases will have diminished returns as long as the state keep promising that anyone with a 2.8 GPA and 19 on the ACT gets to go to the in-state public university of their choice for "free". TOPS is a worthwhile program, but if there aren't higher requirements put in place, tuition increases will continue to be heavy burdens on the state budgets as well.
    How is TOPS paid for? Legit question I have always wanted to know but could never get a clear and concise answer to.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast