Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    If Ron Swanson was our AD we would be in the SEC by now.
    And if Homer Simpson was our AD we would be out of this ___ hole conference we're stuck in.

Meanwhile, two new Georgia schools have joined the conference.. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Meanwhile, two new Georgia schools have joined the conference.. Coincidence?
    And they are the darlings of the conference now. They want this conference to be a bunch of underachievers taking equal turns slapping each other with day old bread.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    And they are the darlings of the conference now. They want this conference to be a bunch of underachievers taking equal turns slapping each other with day old bread.
    LOL.....good one

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Our administration doesn't want to leave this conference. I don't think we as fans have the clout to get Farmer a one way ticket back to Georgia. As long as he is around...we are stuck here. Savoie will believe Farmer before he believes anyone else. If we had a competent AD...this would be a slam dunk. We have a buffoon. Together we flush...
    I have issues with many of the things Farmer has said and done but don't let Farmer be a smokescreen to hide TJoe's part in this. The buck stops at the top. If it was simply a Farmer making all these boneheaded moves or lack of moves TJoe could run him off. He hasn't. In fact, TJoe gave Farmer a raise and an extension, IIRC. So he must be in agreement. And don't lose sight of the fact that it is TJoe who has let the RCAF separation drag on. It's TJoe who has failed to pull the trigger on the executive director / fundraiser. The responsibility lies with the man behind the curtain.

And one of them is Farmer's alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    I have issues with many of the things Farmer has said and done but don't let Farmer be a smokescreen to hide TJoe's part in this. The buck stops at the top. If it was simply a Farmer making all these boneheaded moves or lack of moves TJoe could run him off. He hasn't. In fact, TJoe gave Farmer a raise and an extension, IIRC. So he must be in agreement. And don't lose sight of the fact that it is TJoe who has let the RCAF separation drag on. It's TJoe who has failed to pull the trigger on the executive director / fundraiser. The responsibility lies with the man behind the curtain.
    The reason I give Savoie a pass is because he isn't only responsible for Athletics. He also has to deal with the academic side of things. So his main point of contact is Farmer on athletics. Who's to say he isn't telling him what he wants to hear? "Don't worry Joe, the people aren't that concerned with an independent RCAF." "Fundraiser? Just let Hud go talk to our big money donors again. No need to waste money on a dedicated fundraiser Joe." If the man behind the curtain is being led around by a complete buffoon...the man behind the curtain is going to make ____ty decisions.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Absolutely. T-Joe was exactly the wrong hire for this university. He is nothing more than a modern version of Ray. He is afraid of his own shadow, let alone the UL system board and every other school in the state, from lsu&a&mc@br through Bossier Community College.

He was hired to do exactly what he is doing. Make no mistake about that. He gives us just enough to give us hope that things are different; yet we have not achieved a single goal that he set out for us when he came aboard.

Tier 1? Nope, and no visible time line or plan to achieve it.

"We are Louisiana"? Well until some two bit jerkwater reporter, or the dipshirt president of ULmost whines in public. Then T-Joe does his best crawfish imitation.

Separate RCAF? See Tier 1.

And on and on and on.

The reason I give Savoie a pass is because he isn't only responsible for Athletics. He also has to deal with the academic side of things. So his main point of contact is Farmer on athletics. Who's to say he isn't telling him what he wants to hear? "Don't worry Joe, the people aren't that concerned with an independent RCAF." "Fundraiser? Just let Hud go talk to our big money donors again. No need to waste money on a dedicated fundraiser Joe." If the man behind the curtain is being led around by a complete buffoon...the man behind the curtain is going to make ____ty decisions.
    Even if that is what Farmer is telling him, I know of at least three big hitters who read and occasionally post here who have access to TJoe and let him know how they and the fans feel. He's not in the dark on this.

Even if that is what Farmer is telling him, I know of at least three big hitters who read and occasionally post here who have access to TJoe and let him know how they and the fans feel. He's not in the dark on this.
    If that's the case then we are far beyond screwed.

I was tired of being in the dark about where we are with the whole Tier 1 thing, so I decided to reach out to the school for more info. I mean, for goodness sakes if that ltu can do it, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why we can't as well, and why we haven't done so long ago.

I figured the best place to start would be the marketing dept, so have had several email exchange with Aaron Martin, the director of that dept. He was very prompt in his responses, and gave what I thought were some pretty good responses.....but I am sure not everyone here will like them, lol.
    If anyone is interested I can post some of the more relevant pieces.

Please, post away!

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Louisiana Campus Re: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns_fan View Post
    I was tired of being in the dark about where we are with the whole Tier 1 thing, so I decided to reach out to the school for more info. I mean, for goodness sakes if that ltu can do it, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why we can't as well, and why we haven't done so long ago.

I figured the best place to start would be the marketing dept, so have had several email exchange with Aaron Martin, the director of that dept. He was very prompt in his responses, and gave what I thought were some pretty good responses.....but I am sure not everyone here will like them, lol.
    If anyone is interested I can post some of the more relevant pieces.
    Please quote away, but remember it is all excuses unless he offered concrete steps to achieve our tier one goal and a time window.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Please quote away, but remember it is all excuses unless he offered concrete steps to achieve our tier one goal and a time window.
    Ditto. I'd be happy to hear what he had to say. I wonder if it involved phrases like "trust us", "we are working silently behind the scenes", etc?

Here goes: and FWIW, the thing I most liked hearing is that the Marketing dept has really grown since the new Admin.....we both agreed that we have done a terrible job in the past of getting the word out.....

I first asked about what was keeping us from being Tier 1, and I have his response below. Again, it seems to me that a lot of this is improving our marketing to everyone, but especially students, counselors etc., and highlighting our tremendous improvement in our grad/retention rates, the higher admission standards, etc.:

"Tier 1" is a term used by U.S. News & World Report for their college guide. It uses several indicators to rank universities: assessment by administrators at peer institutions, retention of students, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving, and graduation rate performance and high school counselor ratings of colleges."

I then asked what steps we were taking to resolve the above issues:

"The formal action plan that we work from is the University's strategic plan. We recently wrapped up a five-year plan and are developing the next one. (We hope to be able to report on the new plan this fall.) While there is not a formal plan labeled, "How to Become a US News Tier 1", the strategic plan addresses most of the criteria used in the college guide rankings. We also are planning some marketing initiatives that should improve ratings by peers institutions and guidance counselors as well as giving percentages by alumni. So, yes, there are plans in place."

I pointed out that with all the campus improvements, that I hope that new videos, etc. are made to highlight them:

"Yes, we are anxious to make new videos/commercials. We will in the fall, waiting so that Guillory, Corona and Olivier Halls are removed, the Union is complete (meaning fully landscaped and all construction complete), and the Quad is complete."

Finally, I asked about the Marketing dept in general, and if/how they oversee websites that have UL content….including RP:

"We do track our brand on various websites/social media and will make corrections and improvements to those sites as we can. Some data is deliberately behind for comparison reasons. Research and development numbers, for example, can often be four years lagging.
    We've added five positions to the Office of Communications and Marketing in the last five years. While it is tremendous to add those positions, even during these tougher fiscal times, we remain understaffed compared to other universities. Two of the positions focus on the website. The website was so outdated. We've made great progress, but still have a way to go. This time we are going to maintain and improve it regularly, not letting it go as had happened before. We've also added a social media person, a graphic designer and just hired a full-time photographer. More importantly than adding positions, I think we've been successful with filling them with excellent talent."

Sounds nice, but a lot of generalities. It doesn't sound like a lot if new info, nothing specific. Hiw long have we been hearing that we are "thus close to Tier 1" and working feverishly on it? I'd say more than five years and yet we just "recently wrapped up a five year plan" and still no Tier 1 status. Not sure if we are even any closer. And the next 5 year plan addresses "most" of the criteria. So I guess that means in five more years we will be "this close" to achieving a Tier 1 status.

That's just how I read his response.

Well, I am more optimistic, and I think we have made really significant improvements in the last 5 years: our grad/retention rates have improved by ~50%, which is huge. And as I stated above, we FINALLY have a marketing dept that is going to have a great impact on getting the word out.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Well, I am more optimistic, and I think we have made really significant improvements in the last 5 years: our grad/retention rates have improved by ~50%, which is huge. And as I stated above, we FINALLY have a marketing dept that is going to have a great impact on getting the word out.
    Last 5 years? You are obviously very young

Here goes: and FWIW, the thing I most liked hearing is that the Marketing dept has really grown since the new Admin.....we both agreed that we have done a terrible job in the past of getting the word out.....

I first asked about what was keeping us from being Tier 1, and I have his response below. Again, it seems to me that a lot of this is improving our marketing to everyone, but especially students, counselors etc., and highlighting our tremendous improvement in our grad/retention rates, the higher admission standards, etc.:

"Tier 1" is a term used by U.S. News & World Report for their college guide. It uses several indicators to rank universities: assessment by administrators at peer institutions, retention of students, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving, and graduation rate performance and high school counselor ratings of colleges."

I then asked what steps we were taking to resolve the above issues:

"The formal action plan that we work from is the University's strategic plan. We recently wrapped up a five-year plan and are developing the next one. (We hope to be able to report on the new plan this fall.) While there is not a formal plan labeled, "How to Become a US News Tier 1", the strategic plan addresses most of the criteria used in the college guide rankings. We also are planning some marketing initiatives that should improve ratings by peers institutions and guidance counselors as well as giving percentages by alumni. So, yes, there are plans in place."

I pointed out that with all the campus improvements, that I hope that new videos, etc. are made to highlight them:

"Yes, we are anxious to make new videos/commercials. We will in the fall, waiting so that Guillory, Corona and Olivier Halls are removed, the Union is complete (meaning fully landscaped and all construction complete), and the Quad is complete."

Finally, I asked about the Marketing dept in general, and if/how they oversee websites that have UL content….including RP:

"We do track our brand on various websites/social media and will make corrections and improvements to those sites as we can. Some data is deliberately behind for comparison reasons. Research and development numbers, for example, can often be four years lagging.
    We've added five positions to the Office of Communications and Marketing in the last five years. While it is tremendous to add those positions, even during these tougher fiscal times, we remain understaffed compared to other universities. Two of the positions focus on the website. The website was so outdated. We've made great progress, but still have a way to go. This time we are going to maintain and improve it regularly, not letting it go as had happened before. We've also added a social media person, a graphic designer and just hired a full-time photographer. More importantly than adding positions, I think we've been successful with filling them with excellent talent."
    Thanks for posting this!!!!

Now can you email Farmer and T-Joe and ask them how things are going with C-USA?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Thanks for posting this!!!!

Now can you email Farmer and T-Joe and ask them how things are going with C-USA?
    Yep....can't hurt to ask. Especially since I am regular donor to RCA, FB season tickets, etc.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast