Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Default Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

The last time local Cajun fans with CUSA dreams got their hopes up, former Sun Belt members Western Kentucky, Florida International, Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic and North Texas bolted instead. The reasons still don't make much sense to many UL ...

The rest of the story
    Kevin Foote

Default Re: Could UL replace UAB in Conference USA?

Good points

"Wonder if it's all really worth the fight."

It's not that CUSA is attractive. Is that the prettiest of the Sun Belt will continue to leave, leaving us with crap, every single round of this.

The reason we want CUSA so bad is the SUN BELT, not CUSA.

I would travel to a lot more games in cusa than the SBC, for all sports.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    "Wonder if it's all really worth the fight."

It's not that CUSA is attractive. Is that the prettiest of the Sun Belt will continue to leave, leaving us with crap, every single round of this.

The reason we want CUSA so bad is the SUN BELT, not CUSA.
    For me its simple: Perception and slightly better TV contracts and more bowl outlets. Is the NOLA bowl still tied into the CUSA? If it is, it would still put us as a major favorite to return to NOLA if and when we are bowl eligible while also giving us potentially more outlets to choose from. Three years ago I would argue that the SBC was just as good or better than CUSA but now, its time to jump ship.

The only downfall to that, is we would be playing a SBC school in Nola... Not really all that exciting

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    The only downfall to that, is we would be playing a SBC school in Nola... Not really all that exciting
    Without us, there's no guarantee NOLA's all that interested in keeping the Sun Belt as a tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    Without us, there's no guarantee NOLA's all that interested in keeping the Sun Belt as a tie-in.
    ??? The conference office is in the building, it's the oldest affiliated bowl with the SBC. Maybe in a couple years but I think the immediate future the Nola bowl will have a SBC tie in.

I'll say this again before y'all go postal on me. I believe that UL would be a good addition to CUSA in the future but if I was the conference I wouldn't add any school at this point. There are teams from the east division like MTSU, the F_U's, Marshall that we didn't even play during regular season that would easily fill the void...plus it would mean more money for the existing CUSA members.

Honestly, I'll play Georgia effen State for the next 5 New Orleans Bowls if we get into CUSA.

For that matter, we'll be in an access bowl within those 5 years anyway.

I think they would be interested in keeping the NOLA Bowl, considering the other bowl tie in cities, NO Bowl is the best destination they have. If I were the SBC I would do everything possible to keep it. That being said, they also have USA, ULM and to some extent Texas State that would still travel decent to the NOLA Bowl if asked. Much better than say, FAU/FIU would have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    I'll say this again before y'all go postal on me. I believe that UL would be a good addition to CUSA in the future but if I was the conference I wouldn't add any school at this point. There are teams from the east division like MTSU, the F_U's, Marshall that we didn't even play during regular season that would easily fill the void...plus it would mean more money for the existing CUSA members.
    Just discussing hypothetical scenarios, don't feel obligated to read or comment, it's ok.

Just discussing hypothetical scenarios, don't feel obligated to read or comment, it's ok.
    Yeah, A LOT of hypothetical in here. Why you so grumpy though. It's Friday Eve already & it's going to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    Yeah, A LOT of hypothetical in here. Why you so grumpy though. It's Friday Eve already & it's going to be ok.
    Not grumpy at all but I don't think your conference will replace an exiting member with an existing member...pretty stupid suggestion. They may hold off for short term but cusa will not stay at 13

I would travel to a lot more games in cusa than the SBC, for all sports.
    Oh yes, same here. No doubt about that.

NOLA bowl is great and all but we would have much better bowl tie ins..some against P5 schools and still close enough for decent travel. NOLA bowl will still be an opportunity for us as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    NOLA bowl is great and all but we would have much better bowl tie ins..some against P5 schools and still close enough for decent travel. NOLA bowl will still be an opportunity for us as well.
    I agree... Was just pointing out the flip side of the Nola bowl being in cusa

Saw this today:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...tting-football

UAB announced Monday that its task force has selected College Sports Solutions (CSS) to produce by May 15 what figures to be a highly-scrutinized report. Because the university dropped football, UAB's future membership in Conference USA remains in doubt. Conference USA's presidents meet shortly after the May 15 date the report is due.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    Saw this today:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...tting-football

UAB announced Monday that its task force has selected College Sports Solutions (CSS) to produce by May 15 what figures to be a highly-scrutinized report. Because the university dropped football, UAB's future membership in Conference USA remains in doubt. Conference USA's presidents meet shortly after the May 15 date the report is due.
    Hopefully this is the last nail in the coffin.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast