Thread: The Truth About TV Markets

Default The Truth About TV Markets

Even then simple information like market size can create a confusing picture. For example CUSA has a nice over-the-air syndication package but the number of homes that can reached is overstated. For example KATV carries the games which should mean games ...

The rest of the story
    arkansasstate.scout

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Truth About TV Markets

Perspective

"In 2012 ESPN2 showed North Texas vs Louisiana Lafayette. The game drew a measured audience of 366,000. Dallas is a top 25 market so enhanced viewership there should have been detected by the local ratings boxes and skewed the national numbers. A week later AState played Louisiana Lafayette and the game drew 778,000 viewers when neither was in a metered market. Louisville playing top 25 market FIU drew 119,000 viewers on FS1. Non-metered markets AState vs. Texas State drew 187,000 on ESPNU. "

Interesting. This is why our stAte games are always on weeknights

MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sometimes it is not local teams in the market that are being watched. Take the F*U, people in the Miami are not watching their game because of them, but because of their competition. Lots of people retire in or move to the bigger cities for jobs, so you will have people from all over the country now leaving in the Miami and Dallas markets. Now I am not defending how they do business but people move. When I lived in Memphis I would routinely travel to Jonesboro to watch the Cajuns play, does that me stAte "owns" the Memphis market, no. But because of their visibility into the Memphis market I was able to know that they were playing the Cajuns. All that has changed now do to the internet and being able to get instant updates on scores and schedules.

Last edited by MelRock; December 5th, 2014 at 08:07 am. Reason: No bulldogs died during this post.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Sometimes it is not local teams in the market that are being watched. Take the F*U, people in the Miami are not watching their game because of them, but because of their competition. Lots of people retire in or move to the bigger cities for jobs, so you will have people from all over the country now leaving in the Miami and Dallas markets. Now I am not defending how they do business but people move. When I lived in Memphis I would routinely travel to Jonesboro to watch the Cajuns play, does that me stAte "owns" the Memphis market, no. But because of their visibility into the Memphis market I was able to know that they were playing the Cajuns. All that has changed now do to the internet and being able to get instant updates on scores and schedules.
    Frankly, any Sun Belt team can now claim every customer of a cable system that carries ESPN3 to be their "market."

When is the next round of TV negotiations for CUSA?

I don't know anything about the business, but I bet the next round of negotiations will speak volumes about how much they've gained chasing "markets." Rude awakening ahead.

Time to add some football teams people want to watch.

Add Louisiana, South Alabama, and Ga. Southern. Go to 16 teams with stronger football that people want to watch. TV will come.

But what do I know?

MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I don't no either, but I know it was huge to get Miami (football team, not city, but yes city because of the Hurricanes) in the ACC because that brings in the New York market to the ACC. A lot of the students that go to Miami are from the New York area and return home afterwards to work.

Last edited by MelRock; December 5th, 2014 at 08:19 am. Reason: Still can't spell, SUCK IT HOAX