_ _ _ _

Thread: Tyrell Fenroy, Ashley Brignac win Corbett Award

UL Football Tyrell Fenroy, Ashley Brignac win Corbett Award

Tyrell Frenroy will receive the 2009 James J. Corbett Award Saturday, June 6 at 7 pm the Superdome in New Orleans. The award is for the outstanding male athlete of the year for the state of Louisiana. There will be food and drinks. Tickets can be purchased through the Sugar Bowl at 504-828-2440 or email kateh@sugarbowl.org

It would be nice to have a large Cajun support for Tyrell.

Default Re: Fenroy Corbett Award

YOU MY BOY FENROY

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Congratulations, Tyrell.

This in HUGE and well deserved.

Congratulations to Tyrell.

6. Louisiana ULL athletes Tyrell Fenroy, Ashley Brignac win Corbett Award

The Corbett Award winners, the state's top male and female athletes for 2008 as presented by the Greater New Orleans Sports Hall of Fame, have a couple of things in common.

Both went to the University of Louisiana in 2008, both knew little about the Corbett Award before winning it, and both are now extremely honored after doing a bit of research.

They should be.

The rest of the story

Posted by Billy Turner, The Times-Picayune June 02, 2009 8:55PM

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tyrell Fenroy, Ashley Brignac win Corbett Award

Congratulations Ashley & Tyrell.

igeaux.mobi

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Congrats to both Tyrell and Ashley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Congrats to both Tyrell and Ashley. _

Interesting quote from Fenroy:

"Yeah, coming out of high school and playing at a small school, I'm used to not getting the publicity, " said Fenroy, who played at St. Charles. "Then playing at a small college. I'm used to having to prove myself."

I've never considered UL a "small college", just not a BCS school. I tend to think of a small college as a 1AA or NAIA school. Why would Fenroy refer to us in that way? It just adds to a negative perception of UL as UL L, Louisiana Lafayette and UL Lafayette. These kind of things also have an impact on recruits. It seems very few of our athletes turned pro offer any help with the name and perception issue.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Interesting quote from Fenroy:

"Yeah, coming out of high school and playing at a small school, I'm used to not getting the publicity, " said Fenroy, who played at St. Charles. "Then playing at a small college. I'm used to having to prove myself."

I've never considered UL a "small college", just not a BCS school. I tend to think of a small college as a 1AA or NAIA school. Why would Fenroy refer to us in that way? It just adds to a negative perception of UL as UL L, Louisiana Lafayette and UL Lafayette. These kind of things also have an impact on recruits. It seems very few of our athletes turned pro offer any help with the name and perception issue. _
    Geez give it a rest! He is arguably the greatest football player to play here. He can refer to us however he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Congratulations Ashley & Tyrell.

igeaux.mobi _
    These awards are particularly significant because they come out of New Orleans, which has not always appeared to be a UL-friendly town, despite the large number of alumni there.

The fact that UL swept the collegiate awards is pretty impressive.

Blog Entries

Interesting quote from Fenroy:

I've never considered UL a "small college", just not a BCS school. I tend to think of a small college as a 1AA or NAIA school. Why would Fenroy refer to us in that way? It just adds to a negative perception of UL as UL L, Louisiana Lafayette and UL Lafayette. These kind of things also have an impact on recruits. It seems very few of our athletes turned pro offer any help with the name and perception issue.
    Just goes to show how good a job UL has done marketing to itself.

The recROUXting process is never over.
    igeaux.mobi

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ These awards are particularly significant because they come out of New Orleans, which has not always appeared to be a UL-friendly town, despite the large number of alumni there.

The fact that UL swept the collegiate awards is pretty impressive. _
    There was a very nice article in the TP about Tyrell and Ashley being honored. Of course they called us ULL but I would rather have the article with that designation than no article at all. I noted a comment from Tyrell in the article that he may seek to play in Canada if he can't get an NFL invitation.

Default Re: ULL athletes Tyrell Fenroy, Ashley Brignac win Corbett Award

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    When I reseached this award it stated that it's given to honor athletic directors. I was trying to find out who the past winners (athletes) were and how long it's been in existence and If UL has ever had a winner... any help?....

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ Geez give it a rest! He is arguably the greatest football player to play here. He can refer to us however he wants. _

This could also be a great recruiting tool for us. Why put UL in a negative light by calling it a small college? We are one of 5 Division 1A programs in Louisiana. We've played against every BCS conference. Why give the impression that we are a Louisiana College type, NAIA small college program is all I am saying? We get little positive ink out of New Orleans. We need to take more advantage of our opportunities. I'm not trying to put all of this on his shoulders, but comments like that need to be thought out more. I doubt you would hear that kind of reference from a player at Tulane or even LA Tech. Perhaps UL might want to consider coaching its players on what to say in reference to our university when put in such a spotlight.

_ This could also be a great recruiting tool for us. Why put UL in a negative light by calling it a small college? We are one of 5 Division 1A programs in Louisiana. We've played against every BCS conference. Why give the impression that we are a Louisiana College type, NAIA small college program is all I am saying? We get little positive ink out of New Orleans. We need to take more advantage of our opportunities. I'm not trying to put all of this on his shoulders, but comments like that need to be thought out more. I doubt you would hear that kind of reference from a player at Tulane or even LA Tech. Perhaps UL might want to consider coaching its players on what to say in reference to our university when put in such a spotlight. _
    i can see it now; at the end of next year, after more disappointment, bustle will point to "but i've coached them really well this year on how to refer to our school when interviewed."

Quote Originally Posted by Sonsissymia View Post
    _ i can see it now; at the end of next year, after more disappointment, bustle will point to "but i've coached them really well this year on how to refer to our school when interviewed." _

No, my point is that if you know a player is setup for a major, significant award, why not discuss this with them prior to getting all of the attention? It is just another way of marketing the university. What is wrong with that? Do you prefer the reference to us as a small college by one of our own players?

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ No, my point is that if you know a player is setup for a major, significant award, why not discuss this with them prior to getting all of the attention? It is just another way of marketing the university. What is wrong with that? Do you prefer the reference to us as a small college by one of our own players? _
    Tyrell probably has not been on campus since school ended almost a month ago. He was also a senior and probably not around much. He was probably back in LaPlace when this news came down. Coaches are busy getting ready for summer youth camps and I can almost guarantee this never crossed their minds. I don't know who would have coached him. Also, he almost never spoke in his four years here. He is a quiet young man. I don't know who would have spoken to him about this.

_ No, my point is that if you know a player is setup for a major, significant award, why not discuss this with them prior to getting all of the attention? It is just another way of marketing the university. What is wrong with that? Do you prefer the reference to us as a small college by one of our own players? _
    my modest attempt at humor was directed at the excuses coaches use, not your suggestion. i'm entirely in agreement with you that there should be a party line on how to refer to the university in a public setting.

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Too bad that Ms Lotief could not be the spokesperson for our University---About Brignac she stated that the young lady chose to come to a school where she would wear Louisiana across the front---Not a direct quote ---Can someone post the exact quote????