Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    But it was only a cross...on the back of a helmet...meant to honor someone. It wasn't Constantine painting the cross on his shields and slaughtering naysayers. I get that we shouldn't have to be bombarded with religion at court houses, or in schools, but something as innocuous as this should be allowed. The only way I can see this being remotely offensive to anyone is if there are muslims or jews on the team that do not want the cross on their helmets. But even at that extreme...it's still just to honor someone. They aren't being forced to pray or worship Christianity. This is why you always put initials instead of religious symbols...makes it less messy.
    You mention having a non-christian on the team could possibly make this controversial. When Bustle was here, there was a player on one of his teams that believed in another faith outside of Christianity. The team prayed before/after every practice, game, team meal, etc. Guess what this player did? He respected everyone else's beliefs by standing to the side and waited to rejoin the team in whatever activity whether it was dinner or walking back to locker rooms. Everyone respected him and he respected everyone else.

    I don't see how anyone could take another approach to this situation.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    It is a sticker, it is not a prayer or an endorsement of any religion. It is only apples to oranges because you disagree with analogy. Some times you have to go to the extreme to make your point. We should not have put the sticker on the helmet for Micky either. Who decides which student should have a sticker on the helmet. Was it because she was a pretty white girl. Again it is not about a bicycle or a cross. I have no problem with two people that were part of the program being honored.
    For those self hating Americans please remember that most of us are from European decent and the US didn't invent slavery. Also for those that think the all things Europe is so great, when was the last time a European country elected a black man. We are probably the only country in the world that can have a complete change of the balance of power with out riots in the streets or someone not burning down a building. For those do not like religion "thrown in their face" is gays kissing in public "throwing it your face", probably not because they have rights, well I have rights as a Christian as well.
    Freedom of religion is not keeping religion out of government but keeping the government out of religion. No I do not think there should be prayer in public school, because who is going to decide which prayers should be used. If these two gentleman that are being honored were Jewish or Muslim and had their religious symbols on the helmet, ask yourself if would be having this discussion.
    One is a bicycle...one is a religious symbol with thousands of years of history behind it. That is one helluva extreme to try and prove a point.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,669

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Nothing is the world has caused more pain, death, famine, disease, and hardship than what has been done in the name of God.
    Communist regimes killed 100 million people in one century alone. Humans kill each other, that they sometimes use religion as an excuse is irrelevant.

  4. #24
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Nothing is the world has caused more pain, death, famine, disease, and hardship than what has been done in the name of God.
    The Soviets were secular, anti-religious zealots and they racked up a pretty impressive record in every category you cited. Pol pot and the Khmer Rouge were right up there as well. Little Chubby bad North Korea are making a run for the title at this very moment. One could make a pretty good argument that they put the Crusades and the Inquisition to shame.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    The Soviets were secular, anti-religious zealots and they racked up a pretty impressive record in every category you cited. Pol pot and the Khmer Rouge were right up there as well. Little Chubby bad North Korea are making a run for the title at this very moment. One could make a pretty good argument that they put the Crusades and the Inquisition to shame.
    Yet they still pale in comparison to the wrath religion hath wrought upon us.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Communist regimes killed 100 million people in one century alone. Humans kill each other, that they sometimes use religion as an excuse is irrelevant.
    Explain the Spanish Inquisition...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Yet they still pale in comparison to the wrath religion hath wrought upon us.
    Don't blame religion for the actions of men who twist it into something horrible.

    I could say that Jesus wants me to kill you, but it's certainly wouldn't be Jesus' fault if I did it.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Don't blame religion for the actions of men who twist it into something horrible.

    I could say that Jesus wants me to kill you, but it's certainly wouldn't be Jesus' fault if I did it.
    Religion is man made. How can men twist something they created in the first place?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,669

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Explain the Spanish Inquisition...
    Humans kill each other, that they sometimes use religion as an excuse is irrelevant.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Humans kill each other, that they sometimes use religion as an excuse is irrelevant.
    Even when it is sanctioned, funded, and driven by the religion itself?

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,348

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Blah blah blah

    There are good Christians and there are evil Christians. Good Muslims and evil Muslims..alternatively there are ethical people who live without religion and there are evil people who live without religion

    get over it...religion and ethics do not always correlate

    Read that in that bathroom stall somewhere during the 60's...may have been under the influence but yeah


  12. #32
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Nothing is the world has caused more pain, death, famine, disease, and hardship than what has been done in the name of God.
    Sex, money and power, devoid of religion, have also caused the same. Many have attempted to give them up to "stop the madness". Are you prepared to?

    Man has never known a world without the belief in a Creator. And he never will. And I seriously doubt we'll ever irradicate greed and lust. So why are all of virtues of Christianity... like the promotion of humility, charity, self-sacrifice, etc... not given equal billing in these attacks on religion?

    My point on this wasn't that religion was good or bad. It was to point out that the same ideology used to eliminate Christianity from this country's public view... was in fact founded inseparably from Christian beliefs. The intent was to only allow the freedom of the practice of religion and (in a lesser Supreme Court interpretation) to limit the command of the state by a religion (guarding against the European model of the Papal influence over the European monarchies).

    Unfortunately, this misuse of intent has empowered seculars to not only effectively eliminate Christian everything from the public sector... they actually believe the Constitution somehow supports "their beliefs". It absolutely does not and never has.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Sex, money and power, devoid of religion, have also caused the same. Many have attempted to give them up to "stop the madness". Are you prepared to?

    Man has never known a world without the belief in a Creator. And he never will. And I seriously doubt we'll ever irradicate greed and lust. So why are all of virtues of Christianity... like the promotion of humility, charity, self-sacrifice, etc... not given equal billing in these attacks on religion?

    My point on this wasn't that religion was good or bad. It was to point out that the same ideology used to eliminate Christianity from this country's public view... was in fact founded inseparably from Christian beliefs. The intent was to only allow the freedom of the practice of religion and (in a lesser Supreme Court interpretation) to limit the command of the state by a religion (guarding against the European model of the Papal influence over the European monarchies).

    Unfortunately, this misuse of intent has empowered seculars to not only effectively eliminate Christian everything from the public sector... they actually believe the Constitution somehow supports "their beliefs". It absolutely does not and never has.
    Man has existed on this planet for much longer than there has been a god...unless you still think man began with a ____ing apple.

    If you know someone who is a really horrible person...let's say a contract killer for the mafia. If that person was also a humble, charitable, self-sacrificing person...would it change who they are? Would the fact that they exist only to prey on the innocent be wiped out due to the fact that they have good qualities? This is the dilemma with religion. Of course it has its good qualities...but the whole reason religion was invented was to control people and prey on people who do not have the ability to think for themselves.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,744

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    ...... the whole reason religion was invented was to...prey on people who do not have the ability to think for themselves.
    Are you an atheist or an agnostic?

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Are you an atheist or an agnostic?
    Neither...Catholic. Sometimes it takes an understanding of what you are doing to understand the reason behind it.

  16. #36
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    The Soviets were secular, anti-religious zealots and they racked up a pretty impressive record in every category you cited. Pol pot and the Khmer Rouge were right up there as well. Little Chubby bad North Korea are making a run for the title at this very moment. One could make a pretty good argument that they put the Crusades and the Inquisition to shame.
    ....
    Talking up for the Crusaders still....damn B Martin guys.....lol

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,669

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Explain the Spanish Inquisition...
    Do you think, if religion didn't exist, that people would not just find some other excuse to exert power over others through force? C'mon. This "religion causes more killing than anything else" argument is intellectually lazy. It's not that we should be making a comparison between killing in the name of religion (inquisition, middle east) or killing in the name of the state (20th century communist dictatorships) to say what is worst. It's that secular mass murder in the name of the state proves that it's an issue of power. Not whether or not the stated reason is "religion".

  18. #38
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Do you think, if religion didn't exist, that people would not just find some other excuse to exert power over others through force? C'mon. This "religion causes more killing than anything else" argument is intellectually lazy. It's not that we should be making a comparison between killing in the name of religion (inquisition, middle east) or killing in the name of the state (20th century communist dictatorships) to say what is worst. It's that secular mass murder in the name of the state proves that it's an issue of power. Not whether or not the stated reason is "religion".
    Secular mass murder, whether or not it is about power...is still rooted in theology. How is it intellectually lazy to state the truth? Religion is a man made method of control and power over people. Men created it to get what they want. Communism is a different way for men to get what they want. As was Fascism. Several cults have tried to emulate but most have failed. What hasn't failed yet? Religion hasn't. The wheel of religion steams on unfettered by time. Religion is still the preferred method of control. It will until something better comes along. You cannot ignore the theme of all the wars, famine, disease, and other maladies. I agree it's man's doing...by way of religion...which is man's preferred way of controlling people. It's inherently evil...but under the guise of something decent and good. Blaming religion for most of the world's problems is not intellectually lazy, it's accurate. Saying it's man's doing and really a power struggle is redundant. That's what religion is at it's core. Man's yearning for power.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,348

    Default Re: First, they're forced to change their name, now THIS??

    FYI on the original topic.....Looks like they will wear the crosses afterall and only a few conditions. Good to see some folk use common sense to get past this "issue." Now time to move on.

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...sses/15803815/


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •