Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Information for MelRock

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,512

    Default Information for MelRock

    MelRock,

    I told you I would provide you with some route info when I got back from Oxford that might help you in your future travels up north. If you recall, I didn't want to go through B.R. and fight that 5:00 o'clock traffic on a Friday, so I took a different, unorthodox, route to Oxford (actually we stayed in Grenada).

    We departed Lafayette around 3:30 PM Friday and I started my calculations when we got to the I-10/I-49 intersection at about 3:55PM. The route I took was North on I-49 to Alexandria/Pineville, then east on LA 28 to Ferriday and then north on LA 65 to Tullulah,LA. From Tallulah we headed east on I-20, then north on I-220 around Jackson to I-55 and then to Grenada.

    That route is approx. 380 miles from Lafayette to Grenada, MS. My actual driving time was 5 hours and 50 minutes. However, I did have to deal with about a 10-15 minute delay on LA 28 east of Pineville when a State Trooper pulled me over and informed me that I was driving a little too quickly!!!!

    Although this was a more scenic route that took me through some parts of Louisiana that I have never seen before (and don't really need to ever see again), I think staying on US 165 to Moanrow would have been just as fast and would have kept me on 4 lane roads most of the way.

    We came home on Suday taking the traditional route down I-55 to Hammond and then I-10/I-12 back to Lafayette.

    My conclusion: The traditional route through B.R. is the best route as long as you don't get caught in heavy traffic in B.R. or run into trouble on the basin bridge! If you want to avoid any of those possible issues, going north to Monroe will add about 30-40 minutes and about 45-50 miles to your trip, but you can keep moving (unless a Trooper stops you to say hello)! LOL!!!

    I hope this will help you in some very small way!


  2. #2
    MelRock's Avatar
    MelRock is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,194

    Default Re: Information for MelRock

    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I hope this will help you in some very small way!
    It does thanks. Heading to Indy I would not take 20 over to Jackson, I would continue north. Thanks for the info and I agree all things with traffic being equal I would go through Refineryville.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,014
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Information for MelRock

    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    MelRock,

    I told you I would provide you with some route info when I got back from Oxford that might help you in your future travels up north. If you recall, I didn't want to go through B.R. and fight that 5:00 o'clock traffic on a Friday, so I took a different, unorthodox, route to Oxford (actually we stayed in Grenada).

    We departed Lafayette around 3:30 PM Friday and I started my calculations when we got to the I-10/I-49 intersection at about 3:55PM. The route I took was North on I-49 to Alexandria/Pineville, then east on LA 28 to Ferriday and then north on LA 65 to Tullulah,LA. From Tallulah we headed east on I-20, then north on I-220 around Jackson to I-55 and then to Grenada.

    That route is approx. 380 miles from Lafayette to Grenada, MS. My actual driving time was 5 hours and 50 minutes. However, I did have to deal with about a 10-15 minute delay on LA 28 east of Pineville when a State Trooper pulled me over and informed me that I was driving a little too quickly!!!!

    Although this was a more scenic route that took me through some parts of Louisiana that I have never seen before (and don't really need to ever see again), I think staying on US 165 to Moanrow would have been just as fast and would have kept me on 4 lane roads most of the way.

    We came home on Suday taking the traditional route down I-55 to Hammond and then I-10/I-12 back to Lafayette.

    My conclusion: The traditional route through B.R. is the best route as long as you don't get caught in heavy traffic in B.R. or run into trouble on the basin bridge! If you want to avoid any of those possible issues, going north to Monroe will add about 30-40 minutes and about 45-50 miles to your trip, but you can keep moving (unless a Trooper stops you to say hello)! LOL!!!

    I hope this will help you in some very small way!
    It would have been just as fast going through Monroe. The back roads through Tullulah,LA are no more Trooper friendly and the roads are in much worse condition.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,512

    Default Re: Information for MelRock

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    It would have been just as fast going through Monroe. The back roads through Tullulah,LA are no more Trooper friendly and the roads are in much worse condition.
    T,

    You are correct, but I had to learn the hard way about the roads and officers of the law!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,732

    Default Re: Information for MelRock

    We left at noon on Friday and took 49 to 61 to 220 to 55. We even took the Natchez trail for a while.. very scenic drive. We avoided the Baton Rouge and Jackson construction. We checked in around 7:30 to our hotel... we did stop to eat though.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    13,748

    Default Re: Information for MelRock

    Did you get a ticket?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,512

    Default Re: Information for MelRock

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    Did you get a ticket?
    Unfortunatley, I did! I had on a Ragin Cajun shirt. The Trooper asked where I was headed. I told him we were on our way to Oxford to the Cajuns game. He was probably an LSU, LTUR or ULMost fan, so he just kept on writing! A-Hole!HaHa.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    13,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Unfortunatley, I did! I had on a Ragin Cajun shirt. The Trooper asked where I was headed. I told him we were on our way to Oxford to the Cajuns game. He was probably an LSU, LTUR or ULMost fan, so he just kept on writing! A-Hole!HaHa.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •