_ _ _ _
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 130

Thread: (Yet Another) Name Thread

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Look I don't want to defend la tech, that is not my point, but ULL's grants that are largely lopped into R&D is not true R&D but rather outreach programs. While these programs are great and show how they are involved in the community it doesn't show their research impact. What most universities use is invention disclosures. Tech had 27 last year, how many did University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette have? I tried for 30 seconds to google search but gave up when I couldn't find it.


  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,030

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Thank you for seeing the validity of the post. I agree that you could create some kind of BCS formula, and make it open to all universities. if ULM pulls it together then they get the opportunity also. Thanks for getting this thread back on topic.
    I agree, ULM should also have the opportunity. What I meant is that they would not currently qualify given their academic standing. With decreased state funding, it is unlikely they will ever reach a higher level. Create a system to recognize and reward excellence, starting with the current highest ranking academic institutions (LSU, UL, La Tech and UNO) that are light years ahead of all other state schools. Part of that reward is a name indicative of its standing. In our case, we would drop the "at Lafayette".

  3. #103

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I agree, ULM should also have the opportunity. What I meant is that they would not currently qualify given their academic standing. With decreased state funding, it is unlikely they will ever reach a higher level. Create a system to recognize and reward excellence, starting with the current highest ranking academic institutions (LSU, UL, La Tech and UNO) that are light years ahead of all other state schools. Part of that reward is a name indicative of its standing. In our case, we would drop the "at Lafayette".
    That makes too much sense. Implementation of the system would require the State of Louisiana legislative bodies to address the problem they have created.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    That is the solution though, sure the formula would probably be tweaked a lil, based on probably some kind of grad act formula. But give ULM, ULL, Mcneese etc... The opportunity.


  5. #105
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    That is the solution though, sure the formula would probably be tweaked a lil, based on probably some kind of grad act formula. But give ULM, ULL, Mcneese etc... The opportunity.
    Regardless of the arguments of a contest, and a criteria for meeting those objectives, you do understand that this state did not object to USL being UL due to not "qualifying"? It was pure politics. And if some guideline were given that included reaching specific milestones, the state would ensure that no school qualified. Do you know this? Because it is the reality of the situation.

    The other 38 states that have both an X university and an X state university, did not hold these qualifiers as stringent as you've required. I was at UL (then USL) when the name was approved. Our professors were not majority UL graduates. They conferred with colleagues from other state colleges (outside the state of Louisiana) that resoundingly applauded the move. When they found out it was being blocked, which included my aunt, a professor at Indiana, they agreed that Louisiana was once again the dumbest state in the country. They said, at no point in the development of state universities do we fight so hard to limit the expansion, on a national basis, of our universities. If we thought that a particular university could assist our state, through it's many alumni and associations throughout the country, by securing a less regional name, we would be seeking the best qualifier and be done with it.

    There are programs that do not grow to a name... they grow into a name. This state orchestrated a playing field that doesn't allow "contests". It plays politics. That is it. Plain and simple.

    You ate a Johnny Come Lately to this situation. To pretend we haven't had purely objective arguments regarding the validity of UL being more qualified to be "UL" is incorrect. It was, however, detrimental to UL to attempt it. We have been ganged up on by other state schools that don't want us to make more gains. You seem to believe we have an open path ahead of us to accelerate toward a finish line to become greater than we are. That open space, when we find it, closes as fast as it opens.

    I don't personally care about our official name right now. We are UL. That is our short reference. Whether or not you or anyone else thinks it's a gold watch prize at the end of a fairy tale or not. We sure would like it if everyone would mind their own business while we make progress against the flow. Some day, it may become more evident that we were UL all along. And who knows... when unicorns and leprechauns take over this state... we might even get the name, officially.

    I will, again, say this... other states have allowed less regional names to universities to assist in their growth. Some haven't even made it to your qualification criteria. But, I haven't seen a single state argue about revoking those names. For them, it would be too petty. But that isn't the case for our state.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    My point is that ULL has been trying this method since 1974, and it hasn't worked. A wise man once said the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again waiting for a different result. Why not get the Acadiana legislature to do something different.
    If you are happy with espn-Bristol and the rest of the national media trolling you for the rest of your lives then by all means keep doing the same thing over and over.


  7. #107
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    6,003

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Does anyone really think that the University of Texas, Texas A&M University and Texas Tech University gave a rats ___ that Texas State University at San Marcos dropped the "at San Marcos" to become Texas State University? Of course not.


  8. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    My last post on this subject because of a wise man. Obviously Louisiana does care about the name, it is the world you live in. Just because Texas does something has nothing todo with Louisiana. So to me your options is to keep talking about it or try something different. It is my opinion after being on this board that the majority of the fan base would rather just complain than look for an innovative option and try it.


  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,033
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    My last post on this subject because of a wise man. Obviously Louisiana does care about the name, it is the world you live in. Just because Texas does something has nothing todo with Louisiana. So to me your options is to keep talking about it or try something different. It is my opinion after being on this board that the majority of the fan base would rather just complain than look for an innovative option and try it.
    An argument that goes against your theory is quickly dismissed, yet you failed to state a clear argument on the reason many outside of Lafayette are against use of UL.

  10. #110
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    My point is that ULL has been trying this method since 1974, and it hasn't worked. A wise man once said the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again waiting for a different result. Why not get the Acadiana legislature to do something different.
    If you are happy with espn-Bristol and the rest of the national media trolling you for the rest of your lives then by all means keep doing the same thing over and over.
    What have we been "trying"? You mean that since we've released the athletic nickname, and instate schools throw up on every media outlet that obliges us, that these same people are going to back off when you set up the "name contest" for us? We are going to just hang in their with our official name, hopefully keep using the athletic nickname, and when/if the day comes we've overwhelmingly created an irrefutable argument for pushing it back in front of the state... so be it. Your idea is whimsical, but you're leaving out our state's political structure.

    What skin is in this game for you?

  11. #111
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,443

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    You understand that your argument is flawed because UL could never officially become University of Louisiana. It will always be University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette.

    Second what does academics have to do with athletics? We are just trying to become known as Louisiana athletically, not academically.
    We want to be known as the UL at Louisiana---but just like TEXAS and others, as has been pointed out

    -- we drop the "the" and the "at" and the "Lafayette" for athletics!!!! So easy to do!!!


  12. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    I feel like the godfather 3 they just keep pulling me back in. The reason many outside of laffy oppose ULL becoming UL is because of perceived underperforming academics compared to the other universities with Louisiana without a regional identifier. That has been the whole focus of the last three pages of posts. many turned it into a bash La Tech, but nationally They are known as a superior academic university, regardless if they actually are. Now I will not deny that their are some people who will oppose no matter what, but I don't believe that is the majority.


  13. #113
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    My last post on this subject because of a wise man. Obviously Louisiana does care about the name, it is the world you live in. Just because Texas does something has nothing todo with Louisiana. So to me your options is to keep talking about it or try something different. It is my opinion after being on this board that the majority of the fan base would rather just complain than look for an innovative option and try it.
    Don't take us for the lack of innovative souls you seem to believe we are. If you stepped back one more position in the intellectual Louisiana crowd, you'd see the folly of your suggestion as just as unachievable as our objective to bend this state to our will. If we thought a contest would get the name done, we'd be the first, without your tutelage, to create the contest.

    This state doesn't play fair. Every contest is rigged. Do you understand that?

  14. #114
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    I feel like the godfather 3 they just keep pulling me back in. The reason many outside of laffy oppose ULL becoming UL is because of perceived underperforming academics compared to the other universities with Louisiana without a regional identifier. That has been the whole focus of the last three pages of posts. many turned it into a bash La Tech, but nationally They are known as a superior academic university, regardless if they actually are. Now I will not deny that their are some people who will oppose no matter what, but I don't believe that is the majority.
    Nonsense. Did you just meet these people? I've worked all over this state. No one that either graduated from another university in this state, or has a fan tie to another university, wants us or "the other guy" to get a leg up. It has nothing to do with "qualifications".

    I sat down with a very very smart graduate of SLU and had a tremendous conversation about it. He absolutely, without question, finally agreed with great trepidation, to every fact I placed before him. Graduates of the other universities in this state have incorrectly, but nonetheless, conceded that LSU is our monster state school, despite the illusion that this makes them, as an individual, appear to be a less intelligent graduate. So... without a doubt... none want to relinquish ground to another state school that would further insinuate they were even less than before. We all are supposed to accept that we all equally feed at the feet of LSU... but none more than the other. He said, "You guys should have gotten the name. We just couldn't stand by and let it happen."

  15. #115
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,443

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Good work. The gaps in various reported numbers have to do with assets a foundation has, but which are not eligible in standard reporting. For instance, I believe buildings are not included, unless they generate income.

    Fun when I called to check my account a while back the total was like at $165 mill---After a great stock market run---but I think it included the art museum and the like!!!


  16. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,030

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Nonsense. Did you just meet these people? I've worked all over this state. No one that either graduated from another university in this state, or has a fan tie to another university, wants us or "the other guy" to get a leg up. It has nothing to do with "qualifications".

    I sat down with a very very smart graduate of SLU and had a tremendous conversation about it. He absolutely, without question, finally agreed with great trepidation, to every fact I placed before him. Graduates of the other universities in this state have incorrectly, but nonetheless, conceded that LSU is our monster state school, despite the illusion that this makes them, as an individual, appear to be a less intelligent graduate. So... without a doubt... none want to relinquish ground to another state school that would further insinuate they were even less than before. We all are supposed to accept that we all equally feed at the feet of LSU... but none more than the other. He said, "You guys should have gotten the name. We just couldn't stand by and let it happen."
    Every thing you are saying is right on point. The question is, will this EVER change? What will make it change? Just how long do we keep beating ours head against a wall on this? 10 years from now, will we still be U La La, UL-L, U Lafayette, etc., etc.? Will the city of Lafayette still be the ONLY area to call us UL and Louisiana? Even the towns in Acadiana do not recognize us that way. How long will this insanity continue? Will achieving Doc I status make any difference? Will making Tier 1 under USN&WR make any difference? Will every school in the UL System oppose us no matter what we do or achieve? Do we now or will we ever have the clout with the legislature to drop "at Lafayette"? Is it still the legislature who must approve any change in a name or did they give that authority back to a System Board? This is our 30 year anniversary of our University of Louisiana name in 1984. Another 30 years and many of us won't still be here. University of Louisiana is our rightful name that was politically taken from us. Will we ever have the political clout to take it back? Our city tag will likely forever maintain the perception that we are just another under performing state school compared to other schools without the city tag, like LSU and LA Tech, as RaginGolfer stated. If not, do we seek another option for a clear identity or are we in this fight to the end no matter what? Is this insanity or simply an undeniable mission?

  17. #117
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Houston, changing the official name is pretty much an impossible goal for the foreseeable future. It isn't going to happen because we all get together and agree to a set of criteria for the first to reach. We are part of the ULS. For us to revert to a non confrontational name (Acadiana University), ULM could not remain the sole UL-city program. The name, by law, requires two participants out of the 6 qualifiers. None of the other 4 are interested. This alone screws up the new name. UL-Monroe would think they, by default, are "UL". But, they couldn't even remain "University of Louisiana at Monroe" by law.

    But, to have someone suggest we stop claiming the nickname until such time we "qualify" by some criteria, in a contest, to have the entire official name to ourselves, is more to say, "stop calling yourselves by that nickname" than it is "wait until the results of this fictitious contest". The issue has nothing to do with the rest of the state participating in this race. They aren't denying the name because we aren't the most qualified of the rest of the state schools... and/or none of us "qualify" until we reach X qualifications.

    We are destined to either keep the nickname and deal with the _______s in this state... or we drop the nickname and just live with UL-Lafayette, ULL, UL-L as our short names... and match up with our official name. All of these other dumb abbreviations people suggest are abortions and the university isn't going to go with any of them. We are either sticking with the nickname or not. No school will ever be "UL" or University of Louisiana" officially in this state IMO. We have too many short _____ sisters in this state... by design... to ever politically align legislatively.


  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,030

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Houston, changing the official name is pretty much an impossible goal for the foreseeable future. It isn't going to happen because we all get together and agree to a set of criteria for the first to reach. We are part of the ULS. For us to revert to a non confrontational name (Acadiana University), ULM could not remain the sole UL-city program. The name, by law, requires two participants out of the 6 qualifiers. None of the other 4 are interested. This alone screws up the new name. UL-Monroe would think they, by default, are "UL". But, they couldn't even remain "University of Louisiana at Monroe" by law.

    But, to have someone suggest we stop claiming the nickname until such time we "qualify" by some criteria, in a contest, to have the entire official name to ourselves, is more to say, "stop calling yourselves by that nickname" than it is "wait until the results of this fictitious contest". The issue has nothing to do with the rest of the state participating in this race. They aren't denying the name because we aren't the most qualified of the rest of the state schools... and/or none of us "qualify" until we reach X qualifications.

    We are destined to either keep the nickname and deal with the _______s in this state... or we drop the nickname and just live with UL-Lafayette, ULL, UL-L as our short names... and match up with our official name. All of these other dumb abbreviations people suggest are abortions and the university isn't going to go with any of them. We are either sticking with the nickname or not. No school will ever be "UL" or University of Louisiana" officially in this state IMO. We have too many short _____ sisters in this state... by design... to ever politically align legislatively.
    If we can't qualify for our name and politics will never allow us to attain UL and Louisiana, as you stated, I submit that Acadiana University IS a better alternative and we would have no objections to that name from anyone in the state. It is because we will NEVER achieve University of Louisiana status that I brought this up. IF we changed our name to Acadiana University, ULM would be forced to change its name, likely back to NLU, but North Louisiana University, which I think a lot of their alumni are in favor of. I will never accept UL-L or Louisiana-Lafayette. Dealing with our nickname which our university can't even get right and putting up with all of the ____s in the state, not to mention the major networks and other universities around the country, is not something I want to spend the rest of my life doing. Would I prefer universal acceptance of UL and University of Louisiana? You bet. I submit Acadiana is a better alternative to what we have now. Like Auburn and Clemson, and we can create a similar, unique identity. No more U La La, UL-L, UL Laf, Laffy, Louisiana-Lafayette, Lou Laf, La Laf, and any other variation that seems to continuously pop up. And, that is not just on fan boards, but on major networks as well. And no more tied to the hip with ULM sharing a similar perception as regional UL X schools while a school like LA Tech continues to maintain a large perception advantage that will not change under current conditions. It's been 30 years since our original name change and going on 15 years with our city tag name. When is enough, enough?

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Changing to Acadiana University is like changing to "University of South Central Louisiana" (USCL).

    One of the Missouri double directional name schools gave up on "Missouri State" and took "Truman State University." Southwest Missouri State kept pursuing it and are now Missouri State University. Who's likely to be better off?

    I believe the difficulties of seizing the University of Louisiana identity are in exact proportion to the reward that will be ours if we never give up. There's a reason for this.


  20. #120
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    If we can't qualify for our name and politics will never allow us to attain UL and Louisiana, as you stated, I submit that Acadiana University IS a better alternative and we would have no objections to that name from anyone in the state.
    We would be called "Acadiana" not AU. And when someone asks, "Who does Acadiana play this weekend?". "Uhhh... I think Comeaux.". You haven't done any better than letting them call us "Lafayette". And "Acadiana" is very very regional. If you think that clears things up for us, state-wise, regionally, or nationally, for athletics or academics... you aren't thinking clearly.

    This crap is frustrating... but intelligent options simply do not exist. We stay with our official name and go with our nickname. If/when we have many of our goals in place, we'll get much more respect for our preferred nickname. But, we'll have little to no chance of an official switch to it. I'm not the least bit concerned about these outside opinions. They've never ever had our interests in mind when dealing with us.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •