_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 130

Thread: (Yet Another) Name Thread

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,841

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Do you know the definition of diversity?

    Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.
    Exactly

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,914
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    I just looked it up and based off of colleges.com ULL scores a b in diversity and la tech is a b-. Southern is a c+, LSU is a b-, Tulane is a B, ULM is a b. So it would appear that ULL is tied as the most diverse school in LA, but the other schools are not that far behind. Which is a good thing for Louisiana as a whole.
    So back on point; as the most representative State school in the State, UL has a claim to Louisiana.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    No I stated a clear argument on the reason many outside of lafayette opose you calling yourseld UL and even a way to change that argument. Backed up with facts and yall turn it into a bash la tech thread (here is a troll why didnt you bash them on the football field). I am not saying others do not oppose the name change just to hate, but im not one of them.
    I will counter argue your point.

    1st argument

    UL-Lafayette could never be the University of the State it will always have the city-tag. We are trying to just become known as Louisiana athletically.

    2nd argument

    UL has an endowment of 115 million dollars, LaTech 92 million

    3rd argument

    UL-Lafayette: 17,000 students

    Tech: 9,000 students

    The only thing that LaTech has on UL-Lafayette is that tier I status.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    I will counter argue your point.

    1st argument

    UL-Lafayette could never be the University of the State it will always have the city-tag. We are trying to just become known as Louisiana athletically.

    2nd argument

    UL has an endowment of 115 million dollars, LaTech 92 million

    3rd argument

    UL-Lafayette: 17,000 students

    Tech: 9,000 students

    The only thing that LaTech has on UL-Lafayette is that tier I status.
    My point is that they can become better. Yale only has 11,880. Are you saying you are on par with Yale, I mean sure Yale has you beat in endowment, but you have them beat in enrollment.

  6. #66
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,059

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    I will counter argue your point.

    1st argument

    UL-Lafayette could never be the University of the State it will always have the city-tag. We are trying to just become known as Louisiana athletically.

    2nd argument

    UL has an endowment of 115 million dollars, LaTech 92 million

    3rd argument

    UL-Lafayette: 17,000 students

    Tech: 9,000 students

    The only thing that LaTech has on UL-Lafayette is that tier I status.
    ---the UL endowment according to a report last year was well over $150 million!!!

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,914
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    My point is that they can become better. Yale only has 11,880. Are you saying you are on par with Yale, I mean sure Yale has you beat in endowment, but you have them beat in enrollment.
    Yale isn't in Louisiana, and thus are not a University of the State.

    If they were you would have a point.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    My point is that they can become better. Yale only has 11,880. Are you saying you are on par with Yale, I mean sure Yale has you beat in endowment, but you have them beat in enrollment.
    Who can become better? UL

    No one is comparing Yale to UL.

    I thought we were discussing this idea about us just being known as University of Louisiana based on Tier I status?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Tulane then. The point is that quality of education is more important.


  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    It was but then it got shifted to a UL is better than tech thread. And I guess anything to cover the original point is what has happened.


  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,879

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    The only thing that LaTech has on UL is that tier I status.
    Yeah, but how long will that last? First of all, Tier "one" is now over 75% of major universities, it has little meaning any more.

    Second, as we have success in various academic and athletic areas (yes, people who have looked at the numbers carefully have found a strong correlation with athletic success, at least for public universities), the perceived advantage of LTU will disappear.

    Third, LTU may not really qualify for Tier 1. They "exaggerate" a lot, and we're catching them at it more and more. My favorite was a meeting they had with other Louisiana universities, and someone pointed out that they brag about their low student-teacher ratio, and also brag about high per-faculty research funding. Problem is, for the first you need more faculty, for the second you need fewer-- and the numbers didn't stack up when you compared them.

    The LTU representative was crawfishing and sputtering like crazy when our people pointed it out.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    You understand that your argument is flawed because UL could never officially become University of Louisiana. It will always be University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette.

    Second what does academics have to do with athletics? We are just trying to become known as Louisiana athletically, not academically.


  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Then it should be an easy thing to achieve for ULL


  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    15,194

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Saying

    I'm not a troll
    I'm not a troll
    I'm not a troll

    Makes you a troll...good day

    Y'all stop feeding him.


  15. #75
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,879

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Tulane then. The point is that quality of education is more important.
    Tulane isn't higher ranked because of the quality of education. There are no reliable rankings for instructional quality.

    Tulane is higher ranked because of popularity: the people who vote on the rankings think it's better, mostly because it's very exclusive in its admissions, which is because the students perceive it as a better school, which is because the people who vote think it's better...

    You get the idea.

    My main point is that so much of 'rankings' of higher ed have nothing to do with the core industries, not undergrad instruction, not graduate production, not research. Consider that in research funding, UL now surpasses Tulane.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,914
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Then it should be an easy thing to achieve for ULL
    Not so easy ... ULL doesn't exist.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,879

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Then it should be an easy thing to achieve for ULL
    Who is ULL?

    And what does being a ragin' golfer have to do with being a Ragin' Cajun? Seems to me the second one is an achievement.

    The first one is pretty much a failure...

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    As a person who graduated in education, I do believe that the quality of an education is more important.


  19. #79
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,031
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Ok I am not trying to troll you. It appears the media is doing a good enough job of that, but when it comes to rainking universities there is the gold standard us news and world reports. Sure their are others, but whatever metrics they use La Tech is superior, at the end of the day and hating on me can not change that fact. I admire your fans passion and say with out a doubt you are the 2nd most passionate fanbase in la.
    Trying to use diversity in an argument when it really comes down to admission standards is not a good metric. In that case could you make a case that SU and GSU are not more diverse?
    Edit: if you take the top 70% of any univeristy of course they will rank higher
    Where did you go to college? I'm not flaming you. I just want to know where you attended and/or graduated?

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,785

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Ok I am not trying to troll you. It appears the media is doing a good enough job of that, but when it comes to rainking universities there is the gold standard us news and world reports. Sure their are others, but whatever metrics they use La Tech is superior, at the end of the day and hating on me can not change that fact. I admire your fans passion and say with out a doubt you are the 2nd most passionate fanbase in la.
    Trying to use diversity in an argument when it really comes down to admission standards is not a good metric. In that case could you make a case that SU and GSU are not more diverse?
    Edit: if you take the top 70% of any univeristy of course they will rank higher
    I understand what you are saying. However, the thing is, USN&WR is what you are using as the gold standard for educational matters. It is a highly subjective rating that is not based purely on academics, but on such things as percentage of alumni giving, faculty to student ratios, opinions of the university by outside professors, etc. LA Tech is a Tier 1 National University under USN&WR. It used to be the top 150 universities were in Tier 1. That was expanded to the top 200 and Tech is tied with UNC Charlotte at 200. UL is ranked 210, I believe, and is considered a Tier 2 National University under USN&WR.

    UL is a Top 377 University by Princeton Review and LA Tech is not. UL is a Rockefeller Institute of Government Top 100 Public Research Univesity and is a Top 10 fastest growing R&D University with more than double the research of the entire UL System schools including LA Tech. LA Tech is not. UL is a Carnegie Nationally Ranked Research University with a RU/H (Research University/High Research activity) rating, similar to Ole Miss, Auburn, Baylor and Alabama. UL is the only university in Louisiana designated a National Science Foundation Research Center. LA Tech is not. UL's endowment is triple LA Tech's. UL's enrollment is almost double LA Tech's. UL has nationally ranked PhD's in Computer Science, Engineering, Business and Nursing. UL and LA Tech have the same selective admissions.

    The real test of Tier 1 is not USN&WR, but Doctoral I ranking by the SREB. Both UL and LA Tech are Doctoal II universities.

    If you are dragging UL down to ULM's level and saying we are the same because we share the UL name, keep in mind that ULM is a USN&WR Regional University, with no research, no endowment, and only its Pharmacy School to hang its hat on with dwindling resources and declining enrollment. They should not even be in this discussion and should not even carry the University of Louisiana name.

    There is no argument about LSU. Tulane is a private university and should have no presence in this discussion.

    So, I would take exception to your statement that LA Tech is a superior academic university. You can use the USN&WR ranking all you want and certainly LA Tech uses it to flaunt their believed superiority over us. LA Tech is hanging on to that Tier 1 ranking by the skin of their teeth at #200. It is currently based on 2012 criteria. The next time it is update with 2013 information, they may not make it. We are close enough and improving in the subjective matrics that they use and just might achieve that ranking. Even if we do, it does not change what I have stated. It only serves to create the perception that a university is academically superior because of its Tier 1 rating. Many universities are calling for a ban to USN&WR because it is meaningless, provides misleading information, and is created as an income generator for the publication company. As I stated, Doctoral I thru SREB is the standard to go by and we are a lot closer to achieving that than LA Tech is.

    Your suggestion about the Acadiana legislators introducing legislation dropping the city tag if we are a Tier 1 university has some merit, however USN&WR Tier 1 should not be the criteria for reasons already stated. Only LSU, UL, LA Tech and UNO (I believe) are considered National Universities with significant research. UL should be allowed to drop its city tag because of its academic achievements and National ranking. Neither ULM nor any other UL System school should be eligible to do so.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •