_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 130

Thread: (Yet Another) Name Thread

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brownsville, TX
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tex-Mex Cajun View Post
    Let it go Bro!!!
    ......................//)
    ....................,/../
    .................../..../
    .............//'...'/`
    ........../'/.../..../......./\
    ........('(.......... ~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,844

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan337 View Post
    ......................//)
    ....................,/../
    .................../..../
    .............//'...'/`
    ........../'/.../..../......./\
    ........('(.......... ~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...
    +1

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,912

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    During the pre-game of the UNT/La Tech game last night, we were given a new name by the announcers. They repeated called us Laff-I-ette as they showed highlights of the bludgeoning that Tech administered to us last week. They weren't saying Louisiana Laff-I-ette, just Laff-I-ette. I don't think they were being sarcastic, I think it was just their attempt to speak a little Cajun. I didn't care for it though. This has not been a fun week to be a Cajun fan.


  4. #44
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    During the pre-game of the UNT/La Tech game last night, we were given a new name by the announcers. They repeated called us Laff-I-ette as they showed highlights of the bludgeoning that Tech administered to us last week. They weren't saying Louisiana Laff-I-ette, just Laff-I-ette. I don't think they were being sarcastic, I think it was just their attempt to speak a little Cajun. I didn't care for it though. This has not been a fun week to be a Cajun fan.
    We brought it on ourselves. The administration started it with the hyphen memo and then compounded it with the "fill in the blank" PA call. Then the game last week was the turd in the punchbowl to provide even more opportunity to rub salt in the wound.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,914
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    We brought it on ourselves. The administration started it with the hyphen memo and then compounded it with the "fill in the blank" PA call. Then the game last week was the turd in the punchbowl to provide even more opportunity to rub salt in the wound.
    The Battle for the Name is the best recruiting tool UL academics has going right now.

    Yet some with Martin Hall Marketing are content to curl up and become known as Lafayette II.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Hi, I'm a new poster and live in lafayette. I have worked at several universities across the state, and just wanted to give you my non flaming opinion on using Louisiana or UL.
    For me I have never opposed ULL using UL for athletics. The problem I have is academics which for an university is inherently linked. This state is currently home to 3 tier 1 universities. Those universities are Tulane, LSU, and La Tech. None of those schools have a regional identifier and two of them using Louisiana in their name. I think that it shows bad on our state for a school without a tier 1 ranking to use the full state name. It is about academics and state prestige, not on some grand plan to hate on ULL.
    In fact if ULL was to break the tier 1 rankings I would have no issue calling it UL and if the became higher ranked than Tulane I would call the BLU (the best university in Louisiana) but until such time I can not get behind it.
    If I was an Acadiana legislator I would introduce a bill at the legislator that stated that all tier 1 universities that maintain that ranking for x years has the ability to change their official name to include the Louisiana with no regional affiliation. I bet you could get full support for that, and then it would be up to the students and administration to achieve that goal.
    TL;DR: ULL has to improve academically to become UL. And once they do, which it appears they are on the right path, then they can become UL. Until then I don't want an academically inferior university using Louisiana without a regional identifier.


  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Hi, I'm a new poster and live in lafayette. I have worked at several universities across the state, and just wanted to give you my non flaming opinion on using Louisiana or UL.
    For me I have never opposed ULL using UL for athletics. The problem I have is academics which for an university is inherently linked. This state is currently home to 3 tier 1 universities. Those universities are Tulane, LSU, and La Tech. None of those schools have a regional identifier and two of them using Louisiana in their name. I think that it shows bad on our state for a school without a tier 1 ranking to use the full state name. It is about academics and state prestige, not on some grand plan to hate on ULL.
    In fact if ULL was to break the tier 1 rankings I would have no issue calling it UL and if the became higher ranked than Tulane I would call the BLU (the best university in Louisiana) but until such time I can not get behind it.
    If I was an Acadiana legislator I would introduce a bill at the legislator that stated that all tier 1 universities that maintain that ranking for x years has the ability to change their official name to include the Louisiana with no regional affiliation. I bet you could get full support for that, and then it would be up to the students and administration to achieve that goal.
    TL;DR: ULL has to improve academically to become UL. And once they do, which it appears they are on the right path, then they can become UL. Until then I don't want an academically inferior university using Louisiana without a regional identifier.
    Haha this is funny! You got to be joking.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Hi, I'm a new poster and live in lafayette. I have worked at several universities across the state, and just wanted to give you my non flaming opinion on using Louisiana or UL.
    For me I have never opposed ULL using UL for athletics. The problem I have is academics which for an university is inherently linked. This state is currently home to 3 tier 1 universities. Those universities are Tulane, LSU, and La Tech. None of those schools have a regional identifier and two of them using Louisiana in their name. I think that it shows bad on our state for a school without a tier 1 ranking to use the full state name. It is about academics and state prestige, not on some grand plan to hate on ULL.
    In fact if ULL was to break the tier 1 rankings I would have no issue calling it UL and if the became higher ranked than Tulane I would call the BLU (the best university in Louisiana) but until such time I can not get behind it.
    If I was an Acadiana legislator I would introduce a bill at the legislator that stated that all tier 1 universities that maintain that ranking for x years has the ability to change their official name to include the Louisiana with no regional affiliation. I bet you could get full support for that, and then it would be up to the students and administration to achieve that goal.
    TL;DR: ULL has to improve academically to become UL. And once they do, which it appears they are on the right path, then they can become UL. Until then I don't want an academically inferior university using Louisiana without a regional identifier.
    If you believe that this university is academically inferior, I can't help you.

    Only LSU, with all of its resources, is a superior public institution.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Haha this is funny! You got to be joking.
    No joke, talking about disrespect on a message board or complaining to espn-Bristol (the funniest line I have heard in a while) has done nothing but turn the national media into trolls going out of their way to not give ULL the name UL. Just Improve the academic rankings and get the official name changed. It is a plan and ULL is a rising university. Better than sending official letters that I am sure is posted in the espn break room for everyone to laugh at.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    I don't believe it us news and world reports it in ink. I agree the LSU has superior resources, but can you really say that La Tech has had far superior resources?


  11. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    What are you talking about? Every University has a regional identifier for example, Alabama(Tuscaloosa), Texas (Austin), Georgia (Athens). They are a couple that just use University of the state but that is few and far between. Most have the city tag included in there name.

    The state would never allow just a University of the state because of ULM. Even LSU is LSUAMBR.


  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    I don't believe it us news and world reports it in ink. I agree the LSU has superior resources, but can you really say that La Tech has had far superior resources?
    Agree, LTU does have less resources: lower number of students, lower number of grad students, lower endowment, lower research dollars, lower number of graduate programs, less endowed professorships, smaller research park, smaller physical campus, smaller athletic facilities, etc. The list goes on and on.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Can't get worked up for ragingolfer he is just a troll trying to stir the pot.


  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,914
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Hi, I'm a new poster and live in lafayette. I have worked at several universities across the state, and just wanted to give you my non flaming opinion on using Louisiana or UL.
    For me I have never opposed ULL using UL for athletics. The problem I have is academics which for an university is inherently linked. This state is currently home to 3 tier 1 universities. Those universities are Tulane, LSU, and La Tech. None of those schools have a regional identifier and two of them using Louisiana in their name. I think that it shows bad on our state for a school without a tier 1 ranking to use the full state name. It is about academics and state prestige, not on some grand plan to hate on ULL.
    In fact if ULL was to break the tier 1 rankings I would have no issue calling it UL and if the became higher ranked than Tulane I would call the BLU (the best university in Louisiana) but until such time I can not get behind it.
    If I was an Acadiana legislator I would introduce a bill at the legislator that stated that all tier 1 universities that maintain that ranking for x years has the ability to change their official name to include the Louisiana with no regional affiliation. I bet you could get full support for that, and then it would be up to the students and administration to achieve that goal.
    TL;DR: ULL has to improve academically to become UL. And once they do, which it appears they are on the right path, then they can become UL. Until then I don't want an academically inferior university using Louisiana without a regional identifier.
    Real simple,

    1) Tulane was sold by the State to a private entity, they are out of the equation, they do not represent the State.

    2) LSU purchased its status as the "PREMIER Flagship" which means there can be more than one.

    3) Hypothetically if UL were to remove its lowest performing students to come into a sheer numbers equalization with LA Tech's 12,000 students, where would the two schools rank?

    Fact/opinion: Just because the UL student base represents the entire state to a greater extent than any school yet mentioned, its extreme diversity cannot be used as a negative reason for not representing the State of Louisiana as UL.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Ok I am not trying to troll you. It appears the media is doing a good enough job of that, but when it comes to rainking universities there is the gold standard us news and world reports. Sure their are others, but whatever metrics they use La Tech is superior, at the end of the day and hating on me can not change that fact. I admire your fans passion and say with out a doubt you are the 2nd most passionate fanbase in la.
    Trying to use diversity in an argument when it really comes down to admission standards is not a good metric. In that case could you make a case that SU and GSU are not more diverse?
    Edit: if you take the top 70% of any univeristy of course they will rank higher


  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,914
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Trying to use diversity in an argument when it really comes down to admission standards is not a good metric. In that case could you make a case that SU and GSU are not more diverse?
    Increased numbers was the point, diversity is a by product of having a greater roll in representing the State of Louisiana within the University of Louisiana System.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Ok I am not trying to troll you. It appears the media is doing a good enough job of that, but when it comes to rainking universities there is the gold standard us news and world reports. Sure their are others, but whatever metrics they use La Tech is superior, at the end of the day and hating on me can not change that fact. I admire your fans passion and say with out a doubt you are the 2nd most passionate fanbase in la.
    Trying to use diversity in an argument when it really comes down to admission standards is not a good metric. In that case could you make a case that SU and GSU are not more diverse?
    Edit: if you take the top 70% of any univeristy of course they will rank higher
    Do you know the definition of diversity? SU and GSU are not very diverse.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Can't get worked up for ragingolfer he is just a troll trying to stir the pot.
    No I stated a clear argument on the reason many outside of lafayette opose you calling yourseld UL and even a way to change that argument. Backed up with facts and yall turn it into a bash la tech thread (here is a troll why didnt you bash them on the football field). I am not saying others do not oppose the name change just to hate, but im not one of them.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,299

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingolfer View Post
    Hi, I'm a new poster and live in lafayette. I have worked at several universities across the state, and just wanted to give you my non flaming opinion on using Louisiana or UL.
    For me I have never opposed ULL using UL for athletics. The problem I have is academics which for an university is inherently linked. This state is currently home to 3 tier 1 universities. Those universities are Tulane, LSU, and La Tech. None of those schools have a regional identifier and two of them using Louisiana in their name. I think that it shows bad on our state for a school without a tier 1 ranking to use the full state name. It is about academics and state prestige, not on some grand plan to hate on ULL.
    In fact if ULL was to break the tier 1 rankings I would have no issue calling it UL and if the became higher ranked than Tulane I would call the BLU (the best university in Louisiana) but until such time I can not get behind it.
    If I was an Acadiana legislator I would introduce a bill at the legislator that stated that all tier 1 universities that maintain that ranking for x years has the ability to change their official name to include the Louisiana with no regional affiliation. I bet you could get full support for that, and then it would be up to the students and administration to achieve that goal.
    TL;DR: ULL has to improve academically to become UL. And once they do, which it appears they are on the right path, then they can become UL. Until then I don't want an academically inferior university using Louisiana without a regional identifier.
    La Tech and LSU are nicknames, and not the official name of either university. It is absurd to propose that the only way a university can adopt a nickname is if it meets some arbitrary ranking from a magazine. Your argument is ridiculous on it's face.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: (Yet Another) Name Thread

    I just looked it up and based off of colleges.com ULL scores a b in diversity and la tech is a b-. Southern is a c+, LSU is a b-, Tulane is a B, ULM is a b. So it would appear that ULL is tied as the most diverse school in LA, but the other schools are not that far behind. Which is a good thing for Louisiana as a whole.


Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •