Thread: 2003 Conference Realignment

Ragin' Cajuns 2003 Conference Realignment

Living over in Houston, there has been a lot of talk on the radio about where the local schools might end up now that the first strike has been made. I have heard no mention of UL in any of these conversations. I was wondering if anyone might have any clue at where the Cajuns might end up after all is said and done. Should we be worried of being left out in the cold? I am asking for realistic views and opinions, not ones that are biased. I am really concerned that UL may be passed up, and miss this opportunity to move up in the collegiate athletic world. ESPN came out with a report saying that the WAC will invite Houston, Tulane, and TCU. No mention of UL. Anybody's help is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: conference realignment

Originally posted by Textitan
    ... I am really concerned that UL may be passed up, and miss this opportunity to move up in the collegiate athletic world. ESPN came out with a report saying that the WAC will invite Houston, Tulane, and TCU. No mention of UL. Anybody's help is appreciated.
    You are right to be concerned. However the ESPN report only holds water if Conference USA gets raided to the same degree as the Big East.

Here is a note of optimism. Or at least think of this, when Virginia Tech joined the Big East their 20-year track record in football was only 8 wins ahead of UL through the same period. Yet in the 10 years since they have risen to the top of the FB food chain.

My point is with the right moves good things can happen, and I suspect that besides the Big East in the early 90's no conference was coveting VT.

Now the optimism, if Conference USA does get raided, I look for UL to become a player.

Just wonder if moving to C-USA after Louisville, UH, TCU & Tulane depart is much better than the SunBelt. Granted, basketball wise playing the likes of Marquette, Depaul, Cinn, etc. is a move up (RPI-wise); but football is less a move up the ladder. Definitely like the opportunity to be affiliated in a conference with S. Miss; but the loss of Houston, TCU & Tulane (from a geographic sense) takes some of the luster off. C-USA is still much like the SunBelt when it comes to schools covering a large geographic area. May not happen, but like many have stated before, I'd like to see an affiliation with LaTech, UH, Tulsa more than Marquette, Depaul, Charlotte, etc. Would love to see more regional rivalries develop that we as fans could get more involved with.

Blog Entries

Good points Shof.

By "player" I am not necessarily talking about UL going elsewhere. I could envision Southern Miss being out in the cold and wanting into the Sunbelt.

With all the twists and turns going on now, I could see a nice East/West setup for the SunBelt.

Potentially.

July 1st, 2003, 11:44 am: A thread is started regarding UL and Conference Realignment. It's the earliest thread I can find when searching realignment. So nearly 9 years ago we had an idea dominoes would fall. The question is how did we prepare?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    July 1st, 2003, 11:44 am: A thread is started regarding UL and Conference Realignment. It's the earliest thread I can find when searching realignment. So nearly 9 years ago we had an idea dominoes would fall. The question is how did we prepare?

Seeing this is really upsetting...................

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We didn't

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Seeing this is really upsetting...................
    I hope you and the rest of the Ragin' Cajun Nation are upset enough to ask some tough questions of our administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    We didn't
    The question is what are we doing to position ourselves to move to a better conference when the dominoes fall again.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I hope you and the rest of the Ragin' Cajun Nation are upset enough to ask some tough questions of our administration.

The question is what are we doing to position ourselves to move to a better conference when the dominoes fall again.
    I don't know. I havent heard anything out of the admin other than a bunch of contradictory spin.