Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Injuries

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    3,071

    Default Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    _ The food at UL that is available to athletes, sucks from a nutritional perspective.
    I agree. When I got into my mini "eat healthy" kicks in school, I only had a few options:

    1. Grilled chicken sandwich at chick-fil-a, and remember to ask them not to soak the buns in butter (that's what she said...).
    2. Quizno's subs
    3. Iceburg lettuce in the cafeteria

    Ideally UL could build a student athletic facility with a dedicated cafeteria. But that may be too ambitious for our budget.

  2. #22
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    6,179

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Ideally UL could build a student athletic facility with a dedicated cafeteria. But that may be too ambitious for our budget. _
    Not allowed by the NCAA.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ Not allowed by the NCAA. _

    There are ways around that. Schools that have an "athletic cafeteria" charge a high amount to dine there so students wont eat there and just include the price in the scholarship of the athlete I believe. Not positive on that though. This would make it an open facility, but a student that wasn't an athlete would be discouraged from going there because of the price.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    775

    Track & Field Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ Not allowed by the NCAA. _

    Actually, I think if you check the rules you will find that the NCAA allows each institution to provide, as part of an athletic scholarship, sufficient funds to cover three meals each day including one meal served by the athletic department training table to student-athletes receiving aid. This meal can be a buffet I believe...a grade "A" fancy one in fact...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Injuries

    I would venture to say that for the most part college athletes are very much aware of what they need to eat to sustain their bodies and perform at a higher level. I would also venture to say that to get to the college level most have had extensive training from a professional above and beyond the high school coach and they have been schooled in nutrition and its relationship to performance and injury, amongst other things. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that an athlete's nutritional needs are very different from regular people and that of course there is a direct correlation between diet and performance. Despite what many have said here...they continue to be schooled in these areas.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    3,071

    Default Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    Despite what many have said here...they continue to be schooled in these areas. _
    Personally, I don't doubt they've been educated about the right things to eat. I'm just saying the right kinds of food aren't as readily available as they should be.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    775

    Track & Field Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Personally, I don't doubt they've been educated about the right things to eat. I'm just saying the right kinds of food aren't as readily available as they should be. _

    In fact, to your point, that is exactly why the NCAA allows 1 training table meal per day to be provided by and managed by the athletic department. The NCAA agrees that student athletes require more nutritional content than the average student because they deplete more through physical exertion...

    Does UL even have a training table program?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    _ In fact, to your point, that is exactly why the NCAA allows 1 training table meal per day to be provided by and managed by the athletic department. The NCAA agrees that student athletes require more nutritional content than the average student because they deplete more through physical exertion...

    Does UL even have a training table program? _
    They have a chick fila and pizza hut

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Personally, I don't doubt they've been educated about the right things to eat. I'm just saying the right kinds of food aren't as readily available as they should be. _
    Have to disagree with you there....perhaps restaurants don't serve the right things but for those who shop and cook for themselves, they can and do make the right choices. Can't speak for everyone but for some.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    775

    Track & Field Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    _ Have to disagree with you there....perhaps restaurants don't serve the right things but for those who shop and cook for themselves, they can and do make the right choices. Can't speak for everyone but for some. _
    I think he meant what's available on campus with the meal plan. I agree with you, some of the plyers do buy their own groceries and cook...

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    4,316

    Default Re: Injuries

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ Not allowed by the NCAA. _
    Well then they are breaking the rules at the U. of Florida. Went with son on recruiting visit and toured the athlete only dining room, or so we were explicitly told. Never saw it in writing tho. We also met the athlete only academic advisor. There were actually several. I'm just saying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •