_ _ _ _

Thread: Was Bo Lamar great?

I have a Question Was Bo Lamar great?

With all this talk of greatness, I find it funny how we justify and compare things. I was not around to whiteness Bo but I did hear all the stories....

For those who were around....was Bo Lamar great?

Default Re: Was Bo Lamar great?

Oh my...the best pure shooter I ever saw, and that includes Pistol Pete! An incredible athlete who could simply take over a game at any time. Averageing in the high 30's and 40's before the 3 point shot. My wife and I were in school at the time and never missed a home game. Blackham was as loud and roudy as anyplace, including Cameron Indoor, and they were all there for Bo. Fun times! The wife once even got into a fight with a manager
    from Northwestern after jawing with him all night. Student section was right on top of the benches.

Ohh I dream of those days in the future.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

He wasn't nearly as good as Kevin Faulk.

????

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Turbine time to play the 360 degree shot!!!!!!

I remember the game when he scored 62 points.............WOW

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ He wasn't nearly as good as Kevin Faulk. _
    ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Isn't Kevin Faulk in jail again?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    _ Isn't Kevin Faulk in jail again? _
    When you're great, you tend to be great at everything.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ He wasn't nearly as good as Kevin Faulk. _
    Thats pure comic genius right there!

Thanks,

J1M

If the three point line was available back then he would be the all time leading scorer in NCAA in my opinion. Someone said he was the best pure shooter and that he was. He would take two dribbles past half court and nail it... He was flashy as well... I saw Pistol Pete both at a&m@br (Back then I was brainwashed like 80% of this state) and with the jazz... loved the guy... But IMHO Bo was better... Those days in Blackham were MAGIC...... the place was buzzing and the level of basketball was as high as any place in the country

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ If the three point line was available back then he would be the all time leading scorer in NCAA in my opinion. Someone said he was the best pure shooter and that he was. He would take two dribbles past half court and nail it... He was flashy as well... I saw Pistol Pete both at a&m@br (Back then I was brainwashed like 80% of this state) and with the jazz... loved the guy... But IMHO Bo was better... Those days in Blackham were MAGIC...... the place was buzzing and the level of basketball was as high as any place in the country _

I was in school during the Bo Lamar era and agree that he was the best pure shooter I ever saw. UL games were magical. As students, we went to a 7:00game at 5:00 just to get a seat. We had unbelievable players and had we not gotten the death penalty had a plethora of talent that would have kept us in the Top 10 nationally for years to come.

That said, and I am not an LSU fan, but IMO although Bo had a better pure shot than Pete, Maravich was magical with a basketball and could do things with a basketball that Bo only dreamed of. I've never seen anyone before or since Maravich who could do what he did. He was phenominal.

So in summary...

Kevin Faulk>Pete Maravich>Bo Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpop View Post
    _ Oh my...the best pure shooter I ever saw, and that includes Pistol Pete! An incredible athlete who could simply take over a game at any time. Averageing in the high 30's and 40's before the 3 point shot. My wife and I were in school at the time and never missed a home game. Blackham was as loud and roudy as anyplace, including Cameron Indoor, and they were all there for Bo. Fun times! The wife once even got into a fight with a manager
    from Northwestern after jawing with him all night. Student section was right on top of the benches. _
    Yea he was simply the best. It is depressing to watch these guys and think where we were then.

We also had other greats with him and before him. The battle of the Elvins Ivory vs Hayes. Payton Towsend. The list of players who walked though the USL doors in the late sixties and early seventies dwarf the balance of USL and UL basketball.

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    _ I remember the game when he scored 62 points.............WOW _
    I was there, and if I remember right he came out of the game after dunking the ball which was a foul at the time. There was about five minutes left in the game. They gave him a standing ovation well deserved......was Bo great. Damn right he was. The best by far at that time.......Pistal Pete, you were great, but move over......62 pts and no three point shot at that time.

If we just use the Joe Theisman definition of great we could include everyone and stop these arguments. To him everyone was great! In college, Metry came up with a Theisman drinking game. Every time he referred to someone as great take a drink. No one could make it through the 1st half!

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    _ If we just use the Joe Theisman definition of great we could include everyone and stop these arguments. To him everyone was great! In college, Metry came up with a Theisman drinking game. Every time he referred to someone as great take a drink. No one could make it through the 1st half! _
    Hell we rarely made it past the 1st Q. Looking back that ESPN Sunday night crew had to be one of the worst of all time.

One last time for old time sake.

Joe T- What a great play by Bledsoe. He saw the rush coming and threw it out of bounds before getting sacked!

Mike Patrick - Holy cow! did you see Rod Woodson come on that blitz? What a great play!

McGuire - And Mike don't forget how many different blitzes Cowher can throw at you. He is great at disguising the blitzes.

Patrick - Great point!

Me and Colin - I think I am going to throw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    _ With all this talk of greatness, I find it funny how we justify and compare things. I was not around to whiteness Bo but I did hear all the stories....

For those who were around....was Bo Lamar great? _
    As a college player-yes-unbelievable-and would have been more so with the 3 point line.

Had 3 good years in the ABA and then played a year with the Lakers. I don't remember-Did his career end due to injury or what?

The ABA had the 3 point line, but the NBA did not until a few years after Lamar 's last year. If he didn't leave due to injury-wonder if the addition of the 3 point line wd have extended his NBA career.

I don't wanna admit it but I was there too.......