_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Above average: UL football season in review

  1. #1

    UL Football Above average: UL football season in review


      With UL's football team coming off a 3-9 season, Michael Desormeaux truly believed the Cajuns would be better in 2008. The senior quarterback entered this year with his team picked sixth in the Sun Belt Conference's preseason poll.

    "We feel like we've got a chance to be a very good football team," Desormeaux said in the preseason. "We're putting down the groundwork right now to start something big this season."

    He certainly helped his team raise some eyebrows this season.

    The rest of the story



    Joshua Parrott jparrott@theadvertiser.com December 15, 2008

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ Instead of getting hotter than a pot of boiling gumbo, UL coach Rickey Bustle said his team should have taken control of its own destiny. With one more win, the Cajuns would have been guaranteed to make a bowl game ahead of a 6-6 team.
    _
    Sorry Rickey! Coaching decisions resulted in a 6-6 season.The team did all they can!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,153

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    ...and some minor injuries...


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    _ Sorry Rickey! Coaching decisions resulted in a 6-6 season.The team did all they can!!!!!!! _
    The team did all they could, the one's that were healthy anyway.... Hard to win with a running QB who can't run and freshmen who were supposed to redshirt playing LB. Mix that in with a few inabilities to adjust by the coaches and you have 6-6

  5. #5
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,534

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    We lost the hurricane game---I later found out about the kids not knowing where to go and talking with family etc...

    played damn good against the 2 big guys and really could have won---the 3 walking wounded games speak for themselves--we were in BAD shape--look who played and whose not wearing a redshirt!!!!1


  6. #6

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ We lost the hurricane game---I later found out about the kids not knowing where to go and talking with family etc...

    played damn good against the 2 big guys and really could have won---the 3 walking wounded games speak for themselves--we were in BAD shape--look who played and whose not wearing a redshirt!!!!1 _

    As someone who interviewed those guys after the Southern Miss loss in Hattiesburg, it was easy to see how draining that whole experience was.

    It was tough on me, and I wasn't even playing in the game. Probably had more to do with boarding up the house and making the drive to and from Hattiesburg in a 24-hour period.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Way too far from the beach
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    _ Sorry Rickey! Coaching decisions resulted in a 6-6 season.The team did all they can!!!!!!! _
    Yep, the way I heard it, after we lost the LB corps the coaching staff tore up Dez's knee just to make things a bit more interesting this season.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Yep, the way I heard it, after we lost the LB corps the coaching staff tore up Dez's knee just to make things a bit more interesting this season. _


    Don't forget about Fenroy's shoulder, McGuire's hamstring which kept him out a couple of games and meant we'd have to go with the third string freshman, and the ONE scholarship lineman who was available in case all the injuries on the O-Line flared up.

  9. #9
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ As someone who interviewed those guys after the Southern Miss loss in Hattiesburg, it was easy to see how draining that whole experience was.

    It was tough on me, and I wasn't even playing in the game. Probably had more to do with boarding up the house and making the drive to and from Hattiesburg in a 24-hour period. _
    This was a good synopsis of the year, Josh. I've certainly lightened up on the coaching criticisms I maintained during the year. Basically, I believe a coach uses every obstacle as another challenge to his greatness as a coach. He should use bubblegum, deception or mental telepathy... if that is all he has left, in order to win games. But, as a season wrap, I think we had a reasonable shot at 7 wins with a moderately healthy team. Whether without the hurricane it would have only amounted to a closer game with USM, or with LBs healthy and/or a healthy MD we would have taken perhaps UTEP or FAU... I credit Bustle as much as the warrior players for the 6 wins we did get.

    We add to our mental resume that we also played KSU and Illinois, away, down to the wire... and we have to collectively agree, as fans, we had our best season in a decade. We aren't anywhere where we want to be. No one "accepts" 6-6. I do, however, feel the program is heading upward. The rate of ascent could dramatically accelerate if the president were to be more vocal about declaring his dedication to that ascent and the new strategy for ensuring it.

    Are you slated anytime soon to interview Dr. Savoie regarding programs he has in mind to broaden our base of support for football and how much involvement he will have in making sure we are bowl-bound in 3 of the next 5 years?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ This was a good synopsis of the year, Josh. I've certainly lightened up on the coaching criticisms I maintained during the year. Basically, I believe a coach uses every obstacle as another challenge to his greatness as a coach. He should use bubblegum, deception or mental telepathy... if that is all he has left, in order to win games. But, as a season wrap, I think we had a reasonable shot at 7 wins with a moderately healthy team. Whether without the hurricane it would have only amounted to a closer game with USM, or with LBs healthy and/or a healthy MD we would have taken perhaps UTEP or FAU... I credit Bustle as much as the warrior players for the 6 wins we did get.

    We add to our mental resume that we also played KSU and Illinois, away, down to the wire... and we have to collectively agree, as fans, we had our best season in a decade. We aren't anywhere where we want to be. No one "accepts" 6-6. I do, however, feel the program is heading upward. The rate of ascent could dramatically accelerate if the president were to be more vocal about declaring his dedication to that ascent and the new strategy for ensuring it.

    Are you slated anytime soon to interview Dr. Savoie regarding programs he has in mind to broaden our base of support for football and how much involvement he will have in making sure we are bowl-bound in 3 of the next 5 years? _


    Did the snow last week soften you up? You banged on me for weeks regarding the coaching thing. I'm glad you altered your outlook on the situation......However, next year should be clearly noted that coach Bustle should be held to a higher expectation and we should see a better product on the field as well.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Way too far from the beach
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    However, next year should be clearly noted that coach Bustle should be held to a higher expectation and we should see a better product on the field as well. _
    I agree. It's taken awhile to get to this point but because of what he had to start with at UL, (i.e. absolutely nothing), he's earned getting his fan evaluations delayed longer than the typical situation involving 4-5 years.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,273

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    is this one of those wait til next year things again...we need a real coach. I appreciate everything bustle has done for this program, because it is definitely in better shape than when he took over, but i think he has taken it as far as he can. everyone is saying get off his back for a 6-6 year. do you people not remember what happened the year after our 6-5 year or even better, after our other 6-6 year....we tanked, and if something isn't done it will happen again and we really wont be able to get anyone in here to coach. jmo


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by dms4720 View Post
    _ is this one of those wait til next year things again...we need a real coach. I appreciate everything bustle has done for this program, because it is definitely in better shape than when he took over, but i think he has taken it as far as he can. everyone is saying get off his back for a 6-6 year. do you people not remember what happened the year after our 6-5 year or even better, after our other 6-6 year....we tanked, and if something isn't done it will happen again and we really wont be able to get anyone in here to coach. jmo _

    Here is the scenario. First, Bustle was on the hotseat this year with fans and rightfully so. However, he still has 3 years left on his contract. You CAN'T buy him out because of our budget woes. So, you have to hope that we put a better product on the field. It would have been an easy decision for the administration if he had won 3 games like last year and seemingly lost what fanbase we have. However, the team like the article said, actually surprised a lot of the "experts" witht their finish in league and near losses to BCS schools despite all of the injuries we had. The record was mediocre but the level of play for much of the season was MUCH better than what we've seen in recent years. The offense when healthy was one of the best in the country (just ask Kansas St.). The D was much improved (just ask Juice Williams and Illinois) and both were leading to some exciting games.

    My biggest complaint with Bustle has been his inconsistency from year to year which is what you stated. I hate how we can win 4 in a row but lose 5 in a row also. The same is from year to year and I think that the bar has been raised. I did not expect a good 2007 season but I just didn't expect to get beat by McNeese and lose our lead to Ohio to finish so bad also. Until this program is provided the resources to increase its budget and get on a level playing field, a 6-6 year is not bad at all.

    If you have any recommendations as to how we can pony up more than 194k to pay a head coach, I'm all ears. Will Muschamp just got a nice big bonus to be offensive coordinator at Texas and is payed 900k!

    If they announced tomorrow that we hired Turner Gill and were able to pay him what is needed since he's not making much more than Bustle now, I'd be ecstatic and help Bustle pack his things. However, this university is not in a position financially to lure some really good coaches yet....

  14. #14
    Clutch0364's Avatar
    Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Youngsville
    Posts
    5,324

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Here is the scenario. First, Bustle was on the hotseat this year with fans and rightfully so. However, he still has 3 years left on his contract. You CAN'T buy him out because of our budget woes. So, you have to hope that we put a better product on the field. It would have been an easy decision for the administration if he had won 3 games like last year and seemingly lost what fanbase we have. However, the team like the article said, actually surprised a lot of the "experts" witht their finish in league and near losses to BCS schools despite all of the injuries we had. The record was mediocre but the level of play for much of the season was MUCH better than what we've seen in recent years. The offense when healthy was one of the best in the country (just ask Kansas St.). The D was much improved (just ask Juice Williams and Illinois) and both were leading to some exciting games.

    My biggest complaint with Bustle has been his inconsistency from year to year which is what you stated. I hate how we can win 4 in a row but lose 5 in a row also. The same is from year to year and I think that the bar has been raised. I did not expect a good 2007 season but I just didn't expect to get beat by McNeese and lose our lead to Ohio to finish so bad also. Until this program is provided the resources to increase its budget and get on a level playing field, a 6-6 year is not bad at all.

    If you have any recommendations as to how we can pony up more than 194k to pay a head coach, I'm all ears. Will Muschamp just got a nice big bonus to be offensive coordinator at Texas and is payed 900k!

    If they announced tomorrow that we hired Turner Gill and were able to pay him what is needed since he's not making much more than Bustle now, I'd be ecstatic and help Bustle pack his things. However, this university is not in a position financially to lure some really good coaches yet.... _
    Muschamp is a DC not OC

    If La Tech can pony up 400K to pay Dooley there is no reason that we can't do the same. Until he proves me wrong (which I don't think he will) I am on the Fire Bustle bandwagon and I am not going to get off.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Way too far from the beach
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    If you have any recommendations as to how we can pony up more than 194k to pay a head coach, I'm all ears. Will Muschamp just got a nice big bonus to be offensive coordinator at Texas and is payed 900k!

    If they announced tomorrow that we hired Turner Gill and were able to pay him what is needed since he's not making much more than Bustle now, I'd be ecstatic and help Bustle pack his things. However, this university is not in a position financially to lure some really good coaches yet.... _
    Tulane's HC Bob Toledo is in the second year of his contract (2-10 this season) and they pay him $650K. Yes, I did say Tulane.

    In terms of physical talent, facilities, administrative and fan support, etc. Tulane is about where we were in 2002 when Bustle arrived. If they think firing Toledo and hiring a new coach is a sure fire way to success in their present situation then I feel really, really sorry for them. No sir, at best the weenies are looking at a long, difficult building project and patience with Toledo is the most important ingredient right now. I know that based upon personal experience with our program.

    Given the factor you mention above, the major injuries we suffered this season, the season record despite the injuries, the fact this team really did earn an I Bowl invite, the excellence in the 2008 recruiting class and looking at our returners next season and the recent, overall upgrades in the program, I have no reservations about waiting another season before really putting Coach B on the hot seat.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ Muschamp is a DC not OC

    If La Tech can pony up 400K to pay Dooley there is no reason that we can't do the same. Until he proves me wrong (which I don't think he will) I am on the Fire Bustle bandwagon and I am not going to get off. _


    Dooley is paid 400k for both duties as AD and Head football coach if I'm not mistaken. That would mean as head coach alone he'd make a decent amount less. You understand that currently we have the second worst athletic budget in the country (D-1) but its actually worse than that considering that lots of D-II programs have better budgets as well..

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Tulane's HC Bob Toledo is in the second year of his contract (2-10 this season) and they pay him $650K. Yes, I did say Tulane.

    In terms of physical talent, facilities, administrative and fan support, etc. Tulane is about where we were in 2002 when Bustle arrived. If they think firing Toledo and hiring a new coach is a sure fire way to success in their present situation then I feel really, really sorry for them. No sir, at best the weenies are looking at a long, difficult building project and patience with Toledo is the most important ingredient right now. I know that based upon personal experience with our program.

    Given the factor you mention above, the major injuries we suffered this season, the season record despite the injuries, the fact this team really did earn an I Bowl invite, the excellence in the 2008 recruiting class and looking at our returners next season and the recent, overall upgrades in the program, I have no reservations about waiting another season before really putting Coach B on the hot seat. _

    And thus he should be put on the hotseat. Every year for the next 3 years should be a hotseat year, not an extension year.

  18. #18
    Clutch0364's Avatar
    Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Youngsville
    Posts
    5,324

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Dooley is paid 400k for both duties as AD and Head football coach if I'm not mistaken. That would mean as head coach alone he'd make a decent amount less. You understand that currently we have the second worst athletic budget in the country (D-1) but its actually worse than that considering that lots of D-II programs have better budgets as well.. _
    No he was paid 400k before he took on the AD role

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hue's Ton
    Posts
    2,921

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Here is the scenario. First, Bustle was on the hotseat this year with fans and rightfully so. However, he still has 3 years left on his contract. You CAN'T buy him out because of our budget woes.
    According to Parrott, who has reviewed the contract, the contract is scheduled to terminate in January 2010, i.e. after next season. The extra years are incentive years for benchmarks that have not yet been met. Secondly, if bought out, there is a stipulation in there that says he is required to pursue a job with an FBS school. If hired, UL's financial obligation to him is decreased by his new salary. And, failure to pursue employment in the FBS will result in termination of the contract.

  20. #20
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Above average: UL football season in review

    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ No he was paid 400k before he took on the AD role _
    That is correct. Dooley was already making in the upper 300k range, and the AD position added 40-60k. I do, however, agree with Zephyr's assessment. I think Bustle is giving us what we pay for. I also do not want this admin siding with some fans and just "swapping out" a coach. They have not given us, as an admin, a system that pays and surrounds our program with the package necessary for beating down the SBC in football.

    There are a whole lot of speculators in this "game" that have no real skin in it other than emotion. It is easy as pie to talk about some heralded high school coach, or some D1AA coach coming in here and "obviously doing more than Bustle". That is bunk. Bustle is a key part of the football equation... but until our admin comes out with a program elevation engine, we cannot expect a coaching "swap out" by these guys to mean anything more than "the next excuse".

    Bustle is here next year... and I will not allow, for myself, to use the Fenroy, MD, Chery being gone as an excuse for anything. I firmly believe we are in better shape next year due to the experience offensive and defensive lines. I also believe the defense will be better overall. The skill players will perform... I have no doubt... and if the cast of players around them are even marginally better... I expect better next year.

    Or else... one less year of contract... less money to replace... but again... admin has to come thru with a better program package and commitment themselves prior to another coaching "swap". That is where "our" pressure needs to be exerted... admin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •