_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 287

Thread: UL/Louisiana Branding

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,810

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    The example you use isn't relevant. D-ck wouldn't be the actual name, so it would make sense if you got upset if someone called you that if your name was Richard. But if your name is Richard and you walked into a formal place, like say the DMV or something, and asked to be called Rich, I still think it would be idiotic to scream and holler at someone for calling you Richard. And true, the university does specifically ask not to be referred to as ULL. But it lists the only acceptable names of the university as The University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette for first references, or simply The University for second references. The only thing that would make it appropriate to say "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns" is when referring specifically to the athletic team. But the scoreboard would have the university name and not the athletic team name, much like you wouldn't turn on espn and see a scoreboard on the screen that said Cornhuskers vs Sooners, as opposed to Nebraska vs Oklahoma. And if being a passionate sports fan of my alma mater means that I have to agree with everything every other fan says or that I'm supposed to whine and scream like an infant when I don't get my way to get called a name that isn't the actual name, then so be it. Like I said, I don't care if you or anybody else wants to call it UL, Louisiana, University of Louisiana, or whatever else you may feel works. The only problem I have is when UL fans rip into someone for using the actual name, as exampled by this whole thread. So, yes, I am a UL grad, and no, I don't need to thank you or anybody other than the coaches and contributors who make the programs what they are for a thing.
    Ok then buddy. So what you're saying is, we shouldn't make any effort into advancing the perception of our university. And that we should just sit back and hope that some day it will magically happen. It get it now. You've converted me.

    Don't do anything to help yourself, just hope someone else will provide for you. That sounds familiar.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Did you reference this page by chance?

    http://www.louisiana.edu/about-us/me...iversitys-name
    No, but I referenced the pdf of the manual on louisiana.edu that shows virtually the exact same thing as that page.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Ok then buddy. So what you're saying is, we shouldn't make any effort into advancing the perception of our university. And that we should just sit back and hope that some day it will magically happen. It get it now. You've converted me.

    Don't do anything to help yourself, just hope someone else will provide for you. That sounds familiar.
    How exactly do you get that from what I said? I basically said the exact opposite. Complaining about people not calling us by the name we want to be called that isn't the actual name does nothing to advance the perception of our university. I said nothing about magic either. I said keep the programs moving in the right direction and we will get the respect we need to make the change possible.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    What "legal things" does Ohio-Athens have in place? Show me.
    Sorry, I'm not going through the bylaws of the state of Ohio for you just because you can't seem to focus on the actual point.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Deep in the Ouachita Mountains Hot Springs Village, Ark
    Posts
    1,735

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not going through the bylaws of the state of Ohio for you just because you can't seem to focus on the actual point.
    lil' dude, you're tiresome. please go away. and stop saying "we" and "us." geaux UL!

  6. #86
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,260

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not going through the bylaws of the state of Ohio for you just because you can't seem to focus on the actual point.
    I think those arguing with you understand your point, which is quit complaining when a broadcaster or broadcasting entity doesn't comply with the universities naming request. They just don't agree with the plan of "sit back, be quiet, and eventually with continued success you'll get what you want" actually works.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    lil' dude, you're tiresome. please go away. and stop saying "we" and "us." geaux UL!
    Lil' dude? I'm sure that has some sort of intimidating factor to someone, especially on an internet message board. I'm sorry for using "we" and "us" when referring to a group of people that I'm a part of. I didn't invent English, though.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,319
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Jesus. We are not Nebraska, nor are we Texas. And those two schools have it listed as names to reference the school by. The University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette does not legally provide for any other references other than the references I previously listed, which is why espn has argued that it won't call us anything other than the official references. I'm sure in the midst of your extensive research you can find one of the dozens of articles on the subject. Also, I will provide a link to the actual graphic standards manual that lists everything I've described. I just think the fans need to worry about the respect the university earns, and not the respect it asks for. If we keep moving in the right direction, we will get the respect we deserve and have an easier time getting our way. Until we get there, whining over every little slight is not good for the university.

    http://www.louisiana.edu/sites/louis...dards-2013.pdf
    Non of which excludes "Louisiana" as 100% legal.

    In fact some of the "official" requests are 100% illegal.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Non of which excludes "Louisiana" as 100% legal.

    In fact some of the "official" requests are 100% illegal.
    http://www.ulsystem.net/assets/docs/...e_policies.pdf

    This is the last thing I'm posting about this and the link is a little off my main point anyway, but it does outline the state legislature for the university of louisiana system regarding names. No, I don't believe anyone should sit back and wait for a change that the university wants. But there are proper ways outlined to actually change the name. Obviously, we don't have the respect or ability or whatever it takes at this time to get it done or it would be done by now. All I'm saying is getting mad and vilifying someone for using the actual name is pointless and just makes the person look like a jerk. Take it however you want.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, LA "God's Country"
    Posts
    189
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Lil' dude? I'm sure that has some sort of intimidating factor to someone, especially on an internet message board. I'm sorry for using "we" and "us" when referring to a group of people that I'm a part of. I didn't invent English, though.
    just go away

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,319
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not going through the bylaws of the state of Ohio for you just because you can't seem to focus on the actual point.
    I can save you a little trouble.

    Nicknames everywhere are invented by fans (not bylaws) and not universities.

    Both of those entities may later utilize and implement fanbased nicknames into their documents, but you will not find laws stating "Texas" means University of Texas. And yet in sports, it does.

    Fans decide.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I can save you a little trouble.

    Nicknames everywhere are invented by fans (not bylaws) and not universities.

    Both of those entities may later utilize and implement fanbased nicknames into their documents, but you will not find laws stating "Texas" means University of Texas. And yet in sports, it does.

    Fans decide.
    False, pretty much on all counts. But believe whatever you would like. If that were the case, there would be no debate about Redskins, and any school in Texas could decide they wanted to be called Texas.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    8,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    http://www.ulsystem.net/assets/docs/...e_policies.pdf

    This is the last thing I'm posting about this
    So much for this, eh?

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,319
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    http://www.ulsystem.net/assets/docs/...e_policies.pdf

    This is the last thing I'm posting about this and the link is a little off my main point anyway, but it does outline the state legislature for the university of louisiana system regarding names. No, I don't believe anyone should sit back and wait for a change that the university wants. But there are proper ways outlined to actually change the name. Obviously, we don't have the respect or ability or whatever it takes at this time to get it done or it would be done by now. All I'm saying is getting mad and vilifying someone for using the actual name is pointless and just makes the person look like a jerk. Take it however you want.
    The only broadcaster I have ever heard use UL's legal name is James P. Bitterman.

    PS according to that document usage of "UL Lafayette" is illegal.

  15. #95
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,032
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Jesus. We are not Nebraska, nor are we Texas. And those two schools have it listed as names to reference the school by. The University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette does not legally provide for any other references other than the references I previously listed, which is why espn has argued that it won't call us anything other than the official references. I'm sure in the midst of your extensive research you can find one of the dozens of articles on the subject. Also, I will provide a link to the actual graphic standards manual that lists everything I've described. I just think the fans need to worry about the respect the university earns, and not the respect it asks for. If we keep moving in the right direction, we will get the respect we deserve and have an easier time getting our way. Until we get there, whining over every little slight is not good for the university.

    http://www.louisiana.edu/sites/louis...dards-2013.pdf
    We, the fans of UL, have been very good natured about the promotion of our nicknames, UL (in general) and Louisiana Ragin Cajuns (athletic). Every one of us realizes and recognizes our state mandated legal name and use it in all official capacities. The UL fan didn't go around telling every other school fan what to call us. We (most passionate fans) openly use our own preferred name and ask our own supporters and the media to use preferred names. When anti UL people stuck their noses into our communication of that name to media, it became contentious. You make it out as if we, the passionate fan, should not bother with the preferred nickname and just go along with the mandated official name. We're not going to do it. You call it "whining". It is simply sticking to the plan. We're not going to stop using our preferred name and we are going to continue to promote it with media.

    And winning is happening. Winning is not distracted by the name. We are building and growing and winning because we have specific processes in place supporting building, growing and winning. Don't concern yourself with the name if you can't handle that process. You are incorrect about it distracting anything positive. The people that are against us, are against us regardless of the name. If someone tells you that they'd "like us" or "support us " or "not fight us" if only we'd stop the "name issue", they are a bold face liar. Anyone that argues with us over the name isn't ever going to be a "friend of UL". So, if your panties get balled up because you think own name battle ____es off some folks... you need to wear some loose fitting undergarments until you come out of the unrealistic state of "who cares about UL".

    I'm not going to say that someone standing in front of me one day isn't going to get their jack crushed because I don't like them. I just cannot guarantee that won't happen. But, for the most part, I go about my business and when it comes to our school "name", I laugh off the outside knucklehead that gets wound up about what we call ourselves and the fact we try to get media to go along. You need to try that too. Just chill out, and stop making up BS about how "we need to stop attempting to get our preferred name out in as wide and large of a promotion as we wish to". "That" is the "this isn't a big deal thing". It's the outside group that doesn't want us to use the nicknames that need to stop whining. And most importantly, if it doesn't sink into your head as to which side needs to stop whining... you weren't on the right side to begin with.

  16. #96
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Earl, the truth is until TAF was fully functional in 1986 and a few years afterwards LSU sucked on the tit for state dollars for almost 100 years! Some of you are pretty ignorant when it comes to when LSU athletics actually became self-sustaining.
    You didn't have to qualify the statement, T. Just leaving it as being "pretty ignorant" described Earl perfectly.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    We, the fans of UL, have been very good natured about the promotion of our nicknames, UL (in general) and Louisiana Ragin Cajuns (athletic). Every one of us realizes and recognizes our state mandated legal name and use it in all official capacities. The UL fan didn't go around telling every other school fan what to call us. We (most passionate fans) openly use our own preferred name and ask our own supporters and the media to use preferred names. When anti UL people stuck their noses into our communication of that name to media, it became contentious. You make it out as if we, the passionate fan, should not bother with the preferred nickname and just go along with the mandated official name. We're not going to do it. You call it "whining". It is simply sticking to the plan. We're not going to stop using our preferred name and we are going to continue to promote it with media.

    And winning is happening. Winning is not distracted by the name. We are building and growing and winning because we have specific processes in place supporting building, growing and winning. Don't concern yourself with the name if you can't handle that process. You are incorrect about it distracting anything positive. The people that are against us, are against us regardless of the name. If someone tells you that they'd "like us" or "support us " or "not fight us" if only we'd stop the "name issue", they are a bold face liar. Anyone that argues with us over the name isn't ever going to be a "friend of UL". So, if your panties get balled up because you think own name battle ____es off some folks... you need to wear some loose fitting undergarments until you come out of the unrealistic state of "who cares about UL".

    I'm not going to say that someone standing in front of me one day isn't going to get their jack crushed because I don't like them. I just cannot guarantee that won't happen. But, for the most part, I go about my business and when it comes to our school "name", I laugh off the outside knucklehead that gets wound up about what we call ourselves and the fact we try to get media to go along. You need to try that too. Just chill out, and stop making up BS about how "we need to stop attempting to get our preferred name out in as wide and large of a promotion as we wish to". "That" is the "this isn't a big deal thing". It's the outside group that doesn't want us to use the nicknames that need to stop whining. And most importantly, if it doesn't sink into your head as to which side needs to stop whining... you weren't on the right side to begin with.
    I'm only answering this because you completely missed the point on everything I've been saying, and then used quotation marks around random words to make it sound like things I said. I'm sorry that you, the passionate fan, don't understand the point I was making. Resorting to saying I'm in some state of "who cares about UL" is just ridiculous. I 100% support UL and any endeavor they wish to partake in to change the name of the university or perception of the university. I 100% support any person's right to call the university, teams, and anything else whatever they want. What is stupid, and only serves to hurt the university, is getting enraged at a random person for using the official name of the university. I'm not talking about Lafayette Leopards or anything else used to tarnish the actual names and nicknames of the university. There is a process for getting these things done, and stomping your feet and whining hasn't gotten certain fans anywhere other than creating a whole new batch of people that will try to hold it down. As far as getting my "jack crushed", you are welcome to try next time you are behind me. Until then, if you're going to go on a three paragraph rant please at least do it about the things I actually said.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,319
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    False, pretty much on all counts. But believe whatever you would like. If that were the case, there would be no debate about Redskins, and any school in Texas could decide they wanted to be called Texas.
    Wrong and here is why.

    1) Texas is taken as an collegiate nickname.
    2) Any other Texas attempt would create automatic presumption of UT and generate zero fan support.

    Redskins is a red herring.


    On the flip side:

    Louisiana is taken as an collegiate nickname by UL.

  19. #99
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Mainly because it's ridiculous that you keep comparing this university to other universities that have actual legal things in place to allow them to be called what they'd like to be called. Until "we", as in UL fans, UL alumni, UL students, Bob from down the road, or anybody else that associates with the university, have that in place, all I'm saying is it's ridiculous to want to burn someone at the stake for using the references the school actually provides for. If we get the laws changed, then by all means, rip someone's head off for refusing to call us by the correct name. Until then, it just makes the person look like a _____, and reflects that upon all the other fans.
    So do you get this agitated and animated when we are called "Lafayette"? After all, that is not the legal name of the university. How about the use of the Lafayette College Leopards logo repeatedly by ESPN to represent our team? Three Bowl victories and they still confuse us with a small d1aa program. Is that the respect you believe we will get with winning?

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Wrong and here is why.

    1) Texas is taken as an collegiate nickname.
    2) Any other Texas attempt would create automatic presumption of UT and generate zero fan support.

    Redskins is a red herring.


    On the flip side:

    Louisiana is taken as an collegiate nickname by UL.
    Do you think Texas is taken as a collegiate nickname because they called dibs on it, or perhaps there might be a law protecting it?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •