_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 287

Thread: UL/Louisiana Branding

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    You use a lot of "us" and "we" in this. I don't think that means what you think it means.
    Actually slips up and says "you" in stead of "us"

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    That's a lot of words to say you dont care.

    If you really didn't care you'd have stopped at your third sentence fragment.

    Or better yet, not posted at all.

    Good day sir.
    Easy with the sentence fragment part if you're going to basically post a haiku. The only thing I said I didn't care about was what any person decides to call the university. The rest of the post was about people getting mad when someone else uses the actual name of the university. I'm sorry if the post you didn't read bothered you.

    Good day, sir.

  3. #63
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,348

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    I'm a UL graduate and I couldn't possibly be more tired of this dumb@ss name thing. I understand you want us to be called Louisiana or UL. And I truly don't care if you use that name or ULL or ragin cajuns or bulldogs or whatever makes you feel better. But it just makes us look so stupid and whiny when there's a huge temper tantrum pitched every time somebody actually uses the legal name of the university. I would understand if someone refused to stop calling us USL, but come on guys, the actual legal name of the university is the University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette. Is it really necessary to stomp your feet and pout every time someone calls us by the actual name of the university. For all the boasting about Louisiana being all over the field and uniforms, if you look closely, it has to say Lafayette in fine print underneath, as it is literally illegal for the university to brand it's name without it. It's almost like some fans think if you just say the name enough, it won't matter that it's not actually the name. Just get over it, call it whatever you want to call it, and stop whining like an immature child when other people use the actual name. I promise you if and when we win the national championship in sports, the respect you want will come and people will start calling you whatever you like. Until then, our fan base as a whole just looks like a bunch of babies crying over a stupid name.
    I pretty sure that most of our uniforms reference Louisiana, Louisiana Ragin Cajuns or Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns or just Ragin Cajuns. I'm not aware of any uniforms with "University of" on them. Take a look at the athletics website photos for yourself.

    http://ragincajuns.com/galleries/?tab=photogalleries

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    824

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    You use a lot of "us" and "we" in this. I don't think that means what you think it means.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,871

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    crying over a stupid name.
    Yeah you just lost all credit right here, just another troll coming over here after our baseball success.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    824

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I pretty sure that most of our uniforms reference Louisiana, Louisiana Ragin Cajuns or Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns or just Ragin Cajuns. I'm not aware of any uniforms with "University of" on them. Take a look at the athletics website photos for yourself.

    http://ragincajuns.com/galleries/?tab=photogalleries
    you beat me to it!

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,050
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRanchMan View Post
    This thread has become so enlightening.

    The vast majority of people in the Lafayette area support both schools. The local media & retailers can verify this. There is a minority of UL people that hate LSU for one reason or another & they tend to gather on raginpagin.com. There are also a smaller minority of people that have ill will toward UL, but it's usually a result of that zealot friend and/or family member always hating on LSU.

    I am certain someone will point out the reason they hate LSU is because of their "fans", which is a popular excuse. Many LSU fans commonly say they hate Alabama because of their "fans". In actuality, fans are envious of the other schools success & don't care to be reminded of it by the opposing schools supporters, "bandwagon" or not. Unfortunately, winning brings out arrogance in people no matter who you support & is not exclusive to LSU supporters regardless of how some of you expect us to believe. Also, the fact that LSU is recognized as the state's only major university & draws statewide support, including in Lafayette, is a source of contempt by a few UL die hard fans.

    It seems that a few of you think the so called LSU "bandwagon" fans will jump ship the more success UL athletics experiences. While many local fans who are LSU fans will attend UL sporting events, it's nave to think they will suddenly become loyal UL fans & ditch LSU all together. Realistically, these local "bandwagon" fans will follow both schools' athletic teams as they experience success. They will gravitate to whoever is having a great season.

    Geaux Cajuns!
    Can't speak for anyone else, I don't have a dislike for LSU.

    I love studying history, and get a kick out of the "we are self sustaining" brag of some who only look at things from the current window.

    You are right about the media though, but you underestimate the effects. I grew up as a kid with LSU as my favorite team and I didn't even know it was a local school. I mean "LSU" didn't tell me squat about location. Why did I like LSU? Media exposure.

    Today UL's "share" of exposure for anyone interested is exponentially larger than it was when I was growing up.

    Don't underestimate the future effects for UL in a positive way.

    No hate involved.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,050
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    ... For all the boasting about Louisiana being all over the field and uniforms, if you look closely, it has to say Lafayette in fine print underneath, as it is literally illegal for the university to brand it's name without it.
    You are pointing out an over interpretation and using it as a vanguard.

    You did use a keyword though "university" the only time Lafayette is require is when "University of Louisiana" is used.

    You used another key word "brand" well "Louisiana" by itself is just a nickname, a brand, if your take was close to correct, "Ragin' Cajuns" would be illegal as well, because it is a nickname, a brand.

    Fact is, no Lafayette required for either nickname.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Ok, I'll stand corrected on that part, even though it had nothing to do with the main point of my post, and I just found out by reading the graphics standards manual that the actual athletic team name of the university is "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns", which is how they get around including the Lafayette on athletic jerseys and athletic signs and such. I never remembered that from when I was in school there and always used to laugh at all the t-shirts from football games having a tiny "Lafayette" fine printed under Louisiana. Either way, I apologize for making the wrong statement there. However, the main point of the post was about people throwing a temper tantrum when anyone in the media or even in just a conversation gets infuriated when someone says ULL or University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette. I went to a lot of baseball games this year, including the games this weekend and the weekend before, and it just gets so old seeing people go ballistic just because someone said the name of the university. I really believe it makes us look bad. That's all.


  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,050
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Ok, I'll stand corrected on that part, even though it had nothing to do with the main point of my post, and I just found out by reading the graphics standards manual that the actual athletic team name of the university is "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns", which is how they get around including the Lafayette on athletic jerseys and athletic signs and such. I never remembered that from when I was in school there and always used to laugh at all the t-shirts from football games having a tiny "Lafayette" fine printed under Louisiana. Either way, I apologize for making the wrong statement there. However, the main point of the post was about people throwing a temper tantrum when anyone in the media or even in just a conversation gets infuriated when someone says ULL or University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette. I went to a lot of baseball games this year, including the games this weekend and the weekend before, and it just gets so old seeing people go ballistic just because someone said the name of the university. I really believe it makes us look bad. That's all.
    No problem.

    A lot of the ballistic stems from the many times major media has called UL Leopards and fans efforts to stop the misidentity. (is that a word?)

  11. #71
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,327

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    My dad, who attended LSU had a saying about LSU...so much invested, so little returned...


  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,839

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Ok, I'll stand corrected on that part, even though it had nothing to do with the main point of my post, and I just found out by reading the graphics standards manual that the actual athletic team name of the university is "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns", which is how they get around including the Lafayette on athletic jerseys and athletic signs and such. I never remembered that from when I was in school there and always used to laugh at all the t-shirts from football games having a tiny "Lafayette" fine printed under Louisiana. Either way, I apologize for making the wrong statement there. However, the main point of the post was about people throwing a temper tantrum when anyone in the media or even in just a conversation gets infuriated when someone says ULL or University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette. I went to a lot of baseball games this year, including the games this weekend and the weekend before, and it just gets so old seeing people go ballistic just because someone said the name of the university. I really believe it makes us look bad. That's all.
    You're obviously not a passionate sports fan of your alma mater. First of all, if you continue your research, you'll find that our university (via the sports information office) SPECIFICALLY asks NOT to be referred to as ULL. So when that abbreviation is used, it gets under people's skin. Hence the reactions you seem so annoyed with. Let's pretend your name is Richard. And you ask that everyone refer to you as Richard, Rich, or Rick, and specifically ask them NOT to refer to you as D-ck. Wouldn't you get upset when someone called you D-ick?

    Secondly, you should watch some of the sporting events your alma mater has been involved in the last few years. In more than a few of these games, on the worldwide leader in sports, our "logo" appears on the screen as the Lafayette Leopards, a university in the northeastern part of the US. That's also why we really don't like to be referred to as "Lafayette". It takes away from the exposure and accomplishments of our great university. And guess what, national perception (a lot of which comes via collegiate athletics) has an effect on the quality of the degree you hold as a graduate of UL. Whether you think so or not, that is a fact. So if you really are a UL grad, it looks to me like you should be dropping by here to leave a quick "Thank you" to those who are trying to lift up this university to heights it's never seen before, rather than coming here griping about it due to your ignorance of the circumstances.

    I hope you are open minded and intelligent enough to see why so many proud alums fight this battle on a daily basis. Maybe you'll become one of them once you gather all the information they can pass on to you. Hell, it may do you some good down the line. Support your alma mater! And GEAUX CAJUNS!!

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRanchMan View Post
    This thread has become so enlightening.

    The vast majority of people in the Lafayette area support both schools. The local media & retailers can verify this. There is a minority of UL people that hate LSU for one reason or another & they tend to gather on raginpagin.com. There are also a smaller minority of people that have ill will toward UL, but it's usually a result of that zealot friend and/or family member always hating on LSU.

    I am certain someone will point out the reason they hate LSU is because of their "fans", which is a popular excuse. Many LSU fans commonly say they hate Alabama because of their "fans". In actuality, fans are envious of the other schools success & don't care to be reminded of it by the opposing schools supporters, "bandwagon" or not. Unfortunately, winning brings out arrogance in people no matter who you support & is not exclusive to LSU supporters regardless of how some of you expect us to believe. Also, the fact that LSU is recognized as the state's only major university & draws statewide support, including in Lafayette, is a source of contempt by a few UL die hard fans.

    It seems that a few of you think the so called LSU "bandwagon" fans will jump ship the more success UL athletics experiences. While many local fans who are LSU fans will attend UL sporting events, it's nave to think they will suddenly become loyal UL fans & ditch LSU all together. Realistically, these local "bandwagon" fans will follow both schools' athletic teams as they experience success. They will gravitate to whoever is having a great season.

    Geaux Cajuns!
    I agree the vast majority of fans support both schools in Lafayette Parish because of family ties, although this past year represented the first that UL attire out sold LSU in this Parish as per the head of the Lafayette Retailers Association. My experience has been just the opposite as for as which fan base represents the minority and which fan base represents the majority. First, I didn't see a minority stand up and cheer on the video from WBRZ at the LSU game when UL lost to Jackson State. I guess all those Tiger Baseball fans represent a small minority?

    I often hear LSU fans could care less about what happens in Lafayette with Cajun athletics. Yet, there was no shortage of LSU fans, students and other supporters knocking the Cajuns on twitter along the way. And because many fans of other programs like McNeese State, Louisiana Tech, ULM and other state schools are as you say LSU fans as well, that number of UL haters is much larger than you or other LSU fans will ever agree. I think that video only solidified what many UL fans have felt about LSU for a long time, along as the Tigers are in the national headlines they are an easy group to get along with. But if at any time it's not LSU programs in the limelight like NCAA Basketball Tournament, the Super Regional's and the Softball World Series, the comments start popping up on twitter, face book pages and the comment sections online under newspaper articles. It sure didn't seem like a minority this past year.

    For the record, I watch LSU Baseball and Football because I enjoy both. I met Coach Miles for the first time last year and spoke to him. I thought he was a good guy and enjoyed the conversation. I also think Coach Mainieri is a class guy and Alex Bregman and several other LSU athletes are class kids as well. They were all on twitter wishing UL well against Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Too bad their fan base couldn't follow their example.

    I know some people on this board can't go a day without mentioning LSU and I really don't care to read it. But when I read an LSU fan saying they are really the minority when it comes to hating the Cajun, the antidotal evidence has been overwhelming this past sport season that it is quite the opposite.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    You're obviously not a passionate sports fan of your alma mater. First of all, if you continue your research, you'll find that our university (via the sports information office) SPECIFICALLY asks NOT to be referred to as ULL. So when that abbreviation is used, it gets under people's skin. Hence the reactions you seem so annoyed with. Let's pretend your name is Richard. And you ask that everyone refer to you as Richard, Rich, or Rick, and specifically ask them NOT to refer to you as D-ck. Wouldn't you get upset when someone called you D-ick?

    Secondly, you should watch some of the sporting events your alma mater has been involved in the last few years. In more than a few of these games, on the worldwide leader in sports, our "logo" appears on the screen as the Lafayette Leopards, a university in the northeastern part of the US. That's also why we really don't like to be referred to as "Lafayette". It takes away from the exposure and accomplishments of our great university. And guess what, national perception (a lot of which comes via collegiate athletics) has an effect on the quality of the degree you hold as a graduate of UL. Whether you think so or not, that is a fact. So if you really are a UL grad, it looks to me like you should be dropping by here to leave a quick "Thank you" to those who are trying to lift up this university to heights it's never seen before, rather than coming here griping about it due to your ignorance of the circumstances.

    I hope you are open minded and intelligent enough to see why so many proud alums fight this battle on a daily basis. Maybe you'll become one of them once you gather all the information they can pass on to you. Hell, it may do you some good down the line. Support your alma mater! And GEAUX CAJUNS!!
    The example you use isn't relevant. D-ck wouldn't be the actual name, so it would make sense if you got upset if someone called you that if your name was Richard. But if your name is Richard and you walked into a formal place, like say the DMV or something, and asked to be called Rich, I still think it would be idiotic to scream and holler at someone for calling you Richard. And true, the university does specifically ask not to be referred to as ULL. But it lists the only acceptable names of the university as The University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette for first references, or simply The University for second references. The only thing that would make it appropriate to say "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns" is when referring specifically to the athletic team. But the scoreboard would have the university name and not the athletic team name, much like you wouldn't turn on espn and see a scoreboard on the screen that said Cornhuskers vs Sooners, as opposed to Nebraska vs Oklahoma. And if being a passionate sports fan of my alma mater means that I have to agree with everything every other fan says or that I'm supposed to whine and scream like an infant when I don't get my way to get called a name that isn't the actual name, then so be it. Like I said, I don't care if you or anybody else wants to call it UL, Louisiana, University of Louisiana, or whatever else you may feel works. The only problem I have is when UL fans rip into someone for using the actual name, as exampled by this whole thread. So, yes, I am a UL grad, and no, I don't need to thank you or anybody other than the coaches and contributors who make the programs what they are for a thing.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    The example you use isn't relevant. D-ck wouldn't be the actual name, so it would make sense if you got upset if someone called you that if your name was Richard. But if your name is Richard and you walked into a formal place, like say the DMV or something, and asked to be called Rich, I still think it would be idiotic to scream and holler at someone for calling you Richard. And true, the university does specifically ask not to be referred to as ULL. But it lists the only acceptable names of the university as The University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette for first references, or simply The University for second references. The only thing that would make it appropriate to say "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns" is when referring specifically to the athletic team. But the scoreboard would have the university name and not the athletic team name, much like you wouldn't turn on espn and see a scoreboard on the screen that said Cornhuskers vs Sooners, as opposed to Nebraska vs Oklahoma. And if being a passionate sports fan of my alma mater means that I have to agree with everything every other fan says or that I'm supposed to whine and scream like an infant when I don't get my way to get called a name that isn't the actual name, then so be it. Like I said, I don't care if you or anybody else wants to call it UL, Louisiana, University of Louisiana, or whatever else you may feel works. The only problem I have is when UL fans rip into someone for using the actual name, as exampled by this whole thread. So, yes, I am a UL grad, and no, I don't need to thank you or anybody other than the coaches and contributors who make the programs what they are for a thing.
    Oh you mean it doesn't say Nebraska Lincoln? Their official name? It doesn't say texas Austin? Their official name.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Jesus. We are not Nebraska, nor are we Texas. And those two schools have it listed as names to reference the school by. The University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette does not legally provide for any other references other than the references I previously listed, which is why espn has argued that it won't call us anything other than the official references. I'm sure in the midst of your extensive research you can find one of the dozens of articles on the subject. Also, I will provide a link to the actual graphic standards manual that lists everything I've described. I just think the fans need to worry about the respect the university earns, and not the respect it asks for. If we keep moving in the right direction, we will get the respect we deserve and have an easier time getting our way. Until we get there, whining over every little slight is not good for the university.

    http://www.louisiana.edu/sites/louis...dards-2013.pdf


  17. #77
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    8,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Jesus. We are not Nebraska, nor are we Texas. And those two schools have it listed as names to reference the school by. The University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette, does not legally provide for any other references other than the references I previously listed, which is why espn has argued that it won't call us anything other than the official references. I'm sure in the midst of your extensive research you can find one of the dozens of articles on the subject. Also, I will provide a link to the actual graphic standards manual that lists everything I've described. I just think the fans need to worry about the respect the university earns, and not the respect it asks for. If we keep moving in the right direction, we will get the respect we deserve and have an easier time getting or way. Until we get there, whining over every little slight is not good for the university.
    What about "Ohio-Athens?" Are "we" on that level yet, at least?

    PS I'm not sure why you need to blaspheme to make such a small point.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    What about "Ohio-Athens?" Are "we" on that level yet, at least?

    PS I'm not sure why you need to blaspheme to make such a small point.
    Mainly because it's ridiculous that you keep comparing this university to other universities that have actual legal things in place to allow them to be called what they'd like to be called. Until "we", as in UL fans, UL alumni, UL students, Bob from down the road, or anybody else that associates with the university, have that in place, all I'm saying is it's ridiculous to want to burn someone at the stake for using the references the school actually provides for. If we get the laws changed, then by all means, rip someone's head off for refusing to call us by the correct name. Until then, it just makes the person look like a _____, and reflects that upon all the other fans.

  19. #79
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,348

    Default Re: Who got to Ben McDonald ?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Jesus. We are not Nebraska, nor are we Texas. And those two schools have it listed as names to reference the school by. The University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette does not legally provide for any other references other than the references I previously listed, which is why espn has argued that it won't call us anything other than the official references. I'm sure in the midst of your extensive research you can find one of the dozens of articles on the subject. Also, I will provide a link to the actual graphic standards manual that lists everything I've described. I just think the fans need to worry about the respect the university earns, and not the respect it asks for. If we keep moving in the right direction, we will get the respect we deserve and have an easier time getting our way. Until we get there, whining over every little slight is not good for the university.

    http://www.louisiana.edu/sites/louis...dards-2013.pdf
    Did you reference this page by chance?

    http://www.louisiana.edu/about-us/me...iversitys-name

  20. #80
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    8,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justafan83 View Post
    Mainly because it's ridiculous that you keep comparing this university to other universities that have actual legal things in place to allow them to be called what they'd like to be called. Until "we", as in UL fans, UL alumni, UL students, Bob from down the road, or anybody else that associates with the university, have that in place, all I'm saying is it's ridiculous to want to burn someone at the stake for using the references the school actually provides for. If we get the laws changed, then by all means, rip someone's head off for refusing to call us by the correct name. Until then, it just makes the person look like a _____, and reflects that upon all the other fans.
    What "legal things" does Ohio-Athens have in place? Show me.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •