_ _ _ _

Thread: Hammer, CajunExpress, CaliCajun!

Default Hammer, CajunExpress, CaliCajun!

Where you guys at? I would like to get your expert input.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Hammer, CajunExpress, CaliCajun!

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ Where you guys at? I would like to get your expert input. _
    Careful what you wish for Sybil. In the end you might run crying to momma again about how you've been mistreated.

But since you did ask, I'll give you my take on it. Now keep in mind this is not from a middle school flag football coaching legend perspective. I'll wait and see how this last game pans out. I do know that prior to Mike Desermoux's injury we all saw this team perform above everyone's pre-season expectations, so much so that the bandwagon got pretty crowded. It even had you singing Buslte's praises. The crowds were returning and the atmosphere at Cajun Field was electric. But as those injuries mounted, including one to the back up QB, the performance has dropped off drastically. And as the resident MSFFCL pointed out in a post over the weekend before the meds wore off, the staff cannot be blamed for the rash of injuries this team has suffered.

But injuries aside there are some questions about the program such as schemes employed and recruiting philosophy that need to be looked at once the season is over. Knowing that we loose two main cogs of our offense in Des and Fenroy, is there a plan to adjust the scheme to fit the strengths of the players we have for next year rather than expect them to do the same things as Des and Tyrell? Also, do we keep running the zone read, which over the past several seasons has seen us lose QBs to injury and negatively affect the season? Do we keep recruiting for speed over size on defense, especially the D-line? And the biggest question is can the administration convince the fans, corporate sponsors, season ticket holders and donors to stay on board for one more year? This administration can't repeat the mistakes of the past administration and turn a deaf ear to the guys who can control the donations. Because whether you like to hear it or not, money drives college football success.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Careful what you wish for Sybil. In the end you might run crying to momma again about how you've been mistreated.

But since you did ask, I'll give you my take on it. Now keep in mind this is not from a middle school flag football coaching legend perspective. I'll wait and see how this last game pans out. I do know that prior to Mike Desermoux's injury we all saw this team perform above everyone's pre-season expectations, so much so that the bandwagon got pretty crowded. It even had you singing Buslte's praises. The crowds were returning and the atmosphere at Cajun Field was electric. But as those injuries mounted, including one to the back up QB, the performance has dropped off drastically. And as the resident MSFFCL pointed out in a post over the weekend before the meds wore off, the staff cannot be blamed for the rash of injuries this team has suffered.

But injuries aside there are some questions about the program such as schemes employed and recruiting philosophy that need to be looked at once the season is over. Knowing that we loose two main cogs of our offense in Des and Fenroy, is there a plan to adjust the scheme to fit the strengths of the players we have for next year rather than expect them to do the same things as Des and Tyrell? Also, do we keep running the zone read, which over the past several seasons has seen us lose QBs to injury and negatively affect the season? Do we keep recruiting for speed over size on defense, especially the D-line? And the biggest question is can the administration convince the fans, corporate sponsors, season ticket holders and donors to stay on board for one more year? This administration can't repeat the mistakes of the past administration and turn a deaf ear to the guys who can control the donations. Because whether you like to hear it or not, money drives college football success. _
    Nice to see you are not MIA. We agree on several issues. Bustle can't be blamed for the injuries. However after seven years he should have better backups that fit in and not miss much a beat. He did have us going like a well oiled machine before UNT.

I also agree that we need leadership from the top. Why fire Bustle just to hire another not ready for prime time coach? We need to upgrade the stadium like the one at Troy. Award your big time donors by offering them a chance to watch the game in a luxury suite that is catered. It is not the folks that post on the this message board that are going to give the program the money it needs. I can only offer $50 - $100 now and then. I do know alumni with very deep pockets that have long written off the Cajuns. That is who we have to reach. They really have it going on over there. I was extremely impressed their football program from top to bottom.

Sybil "The Flag Football Coaching Legend" wishes you and yours Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Not MIA, just didn't have anything to contribute to all the rantings (somewhat understandable) after the recent losses. Just as I didn't jump into the bowl speculation discussions when we were winning I won't evaluate the season until it is over. And I don't think its excuses (as some others have stated) to include the injuries into the evaluation of the staff. While every team has injuries we just seem to have been really snakebit this year. Five ACL injuries in one year? Man, as Z has said, we must not be living right.

I do agree that the coaches have to have contingency plans but I think we saw that in most positions we did have capable backups but now even the backups and in some cases the backups to the backups are injured. I think our best hope for the MT game is that McGuire can heal up in the next week to 10 days and be ready to cntribute like he did for the ASU game.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

I agree not all the coaching staff is to blame, but you do have to evaluate their strength and conditioning program. With that many ACL injuries, it leads me to believe that there are some huge inconsistencies in the pre season screenings and the approach to lower extremity strengthening. I hope the strength and conditioning team evaluate their approach and make some much needed changes to address these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FTBLFN View Post
    _ I agree not all the coaching staff is to blame, but you do have to evaluate their strength and conditioning program. With that many ACL injuries, it leads me to believe that there are some huge inconsistencies in the pre season screenings and the approach to lower extremity strengthening. I hope the strength and conditioning team evaluate their approach and make some much needed changes to address these issues. _
    I don't think that is fair to Bustle and staff. No matter what you do stuff happens. If I want to be critical the only thing I could point to is why keep Mike Des in the UNT game when it was really over?

It is completely fair. One or maybe two, then I can see. Des is a different case, any time you have your qb run that much, you are risking injury. The strength and conditioning coach is responsible for making sure these guys are prepared, and when you have that many of the same injury, then you have to look at the training of these kids in the weight room. Also, there may have been a preexisting condition, this should have been picked up in your preseason screening. There is case study after case study of improper training having a direct correlation with increased injury.

Blog Entries

In the last year the football players were on some kind of muscle building supplement. Some players added 5,10,15 percent weight and some even added speed with the additional weight. Could it be the joints could not keep up with the added force subjected to them by the additional weight? Just a thought.

Very Possible. but as a strength coach, you have to take the possible effects the supplement might have and because of that he is responsible. Another reason could be improper periodization, so the athletes bodies were overtrained. If he had them start this muscle building and did not allow for the transitions in training, the body becomes weak due to its lack on rest to rebuild. There are many scenarios, so only the s&c team would be able to make that analysis, and he is not perfect, no one is, so hopefully he has realized what went wrong and has addressed it.