Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 61 to 79 of 79

Thread: Petroleum Engineering

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,445

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago24 View Post
    I'm 19 however I don't know how I will pay for this school.... Will loans be able to pay for me? I am independent and my parents won't give me any aid because I want to do this instead of medicine.
    If you do enroll in an ENGR program, you will soon have to learn how to do stuff for yourself. Having everything spoonfed to you is absolutely NOT how it works. Everything you need to know about enrollment, curriculum, course offerings, class schedule etc. is on the school website. You just have to put your big boy britches on and go find it, instead of asking the same questions over and over again to a of bunch of jack legs on a sports message board. So here: if you are not ready to take initiative and WORK, an engineering degree from UL is not for you.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Try career services on campus, they could help you find a part time job while you are here. And in addition to Pell grants, the loans can be deferred until after you finish School but you have to complete your studies. The minute you drop, they'll come calling. Besides, Lafayette is a good spot to get an oilfield job. Service companies mostly, but they are the pathway to the E&P companies if you didn't come from OU, UT, A&M or LSU...do a 5 year stint with Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford or Baker Hughes and you'll have doors open up all over the globe..


  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    If you do enroll in an ENGR program, you will soon have to learn how to do stuff for yourself. Having everything spoonfed to you is absolutely NOT how it works. Everything you need to know about enrollment, curriculum, course offerings, class schedule etc. is on the school website. You just have to put your big boy britches on and go find it, instead of asking the same questions over and over again to a of bunch of jack legs on a sports message board. So here: if you are not ready to take initiative and WORK, an engineering degree from UL is not for you.
    http://financialaid.louisiana.edu/content/costs

    $20,057 / yr

    https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loan...eligible-for-a
    I can hopefully get 9500 my first year in fed loans, pell grant (if I get it) is $5,730 = 15,320$..... I still would have 5k remaining to pay (why is housing so costly?)

    I was planning on trying for the army ROTC scholarship (where they pay for school but you have to serve 8 years, 4 active & 4 reserve) however the army has a position for petroleum engineers?


    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Chicago24 situation is something I sympathize with. He is in a cultural bind. Many folks from that area of the world really care what their parents think. I know a guy who had an issue with his parents in his 30's and he had a PHD. It's not that we don't care what our parents think here, it's just that we have the freedom to do what we want to here and plenty of people pursue their dream without their parents blessing. His problem is also that he is not a Louisiana resident and most pay out of state tuition. As he is not a graduate of a Louisiana HS, he does not qualify for TOPS. I feel for him and hopes he takes the advice some of the folks here have suggested.
    Thank you for understanding my situation.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    If you do enroll in an ENGR program, you will soon have to learn how to do stuff for yourself. Having everything spoonfed to you is absolutely NOT how it works. Everything you need to know about enrollment, curriculum, course offerings, class schedule etc. is on the school website. You just have to put your big boy britches on and go find it, instead of asking the same questions over and over again to a of bunch of jack legs on a sports message board. So here: if you are not ready to take initiative and WORK, an engineering degree from UL is not for you.
    +1

  5. #65
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,857

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago24 View Post
    http://financialaid.louisiana.edu/content/costs

    $20,057 / yr

    https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loan...eligible-for-a
    I can hopefully get 9500 my first year in fed loans, pell grant (if I get it) is $5,730 = 15,320$..... I still would have 5k remaining to pay (why is housing so costly?)

    I was planning on trying for the army ROTC scholarship (where they pay for school but you have to serve 8 years, 4 active & 4 reserve) however the army has a position for petroleum engineers?



    Thank you for understanding my situation.
    Typically freshman from more than 40 miles away from Lafayette have to live on campus. The cost includes a meal plan. However there can be exceptions made and your situation may be one of those. Your age may qualify you to not be bound to this policy. If that is the case, you can try finding a cheap apartment somewhere in town. Also, get a part time job your first couple of years to help with cost.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Typically freshman from more than 40 miles away from Lafayette have to live on campus. The cost includes a meal plan. However there can be exceptions made and your situation may be one of those. Your age may qualify you to not be bound to this policy. If that is the case, you can try finding a cheap apartment somewhere in town. Also, get a part time job your first couple of years to help with cost.
    Yeah, I read that all freshman at UL have to stay on campus. Is the area around the college safe at night?

    I'm from Chicago where a lot of places are not safe to walk around at night.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,006

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago24 View Post
    Yeah, I read that all freshman at UL have to stay on campus. Is the area around the college safe at night?

    I'm from Chicago where a lot of places are not safe to walk around at night.
    This ain't Chicago...it's a nice place.

  8. #68
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,150

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    This ain't Chicago...it's a nice place.
    Chiraq is a combat environment that is for sure.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Alright guys I applied!

    They said it will take 7-10 business days to get back to me.


  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,538
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago24 View Post
    Alright guys I applied!

    They said it will take 7-10 business days to get back to me.
    CongratULations, I hope it goes well for you.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    CongratULations, I hope it goes well for you.


    Thanks!

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    771

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    That was funny......Chicago24....good luck and make the most of it. Lot's of middle easterners here. As well as Asians, Native Americans, Indians, Polynesians, Hispanics, Africans and some Aliens....You'll have plenty of comrades....hope to see you at Cajun Field in the Fall....


  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    That was funny......Chicago24....good luck and make the most of it. Lot's of middle easterners here. As well as Asians, Native Americans, Indians, Polynesians, Hispanics, Africans and some Aliens....You'll have plenty of comrades....hope to see you at Cajun Field in the Fall....
    Hope to see you as well! Are you currently studying at UL?

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brownsville, TX
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    If you do enroll in an ENGR program, you will soon have to learn how to do stuff for yourself. Having everything spoonfed to you is absolutely NOT how it works. Everything you need to know about enrollment, curriculum, course offerings, class schedule etc. is on the school website. You just have to put your big boy britches on and go find it, instead of asking the same questions over and over again to a of bunch of jack legs on a sports message board. So here: if you are not ready to take initiative and WORK, an engineering degree from UL is not for you.
    Pretty sure the people answering were the most qualified to answer his questions, and we did. But whatever, hardo

  15. #75
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Hey everyone - I just want to give an update!

    I got accepted to University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette this year for petroleum engineering however I was at a med school in the UAE (no electronics, can't leave campus except once a month, etc...) so technically I am a "First time" freshman, when I should be a sophomore. I'm 19, 20 in this November.

    The college starts on August 25th.

    Community college wouldn't be worth the time because they don't have the specific classes for the program nor do they offer the internships that the university does for their students, which are the stepping stones for landing a great job in the industry (petroleum engineering).

    Here's the plan layout: http://petroleum.louisiana.edu/UL_Pe...15%20Final.pdf

    I'm waiting on if my AP Scores will waive the English and History classes because I took AP History and AP English in HS and got a 4 in each for the AP Score so I think they will be waived. If they waive, I only have to take 10 credits / semester which according to their website is $2,923.00 (http://bursar.louisiana.edu/node/45)... The University said I'm eligible for in state tuition because I met the requirements for the scholarship.

    Should I just take a year off and work full time? Based on tuition alone it would be cheaper or equivalent to my local CC / the CC won't give me the necessary internship/experience the university will give me for landing the job.

    Dorm + meal plan combined (cheapest one that is available to me is) 3,925.

    One problem I have is my parents wont give me their social security #'s for the FAFSA form nor will they give me any money for college.

    Thanks in advance.


  16. #76
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Congratulations on getting accepted to UL and Petroleum Engineering. The best person to advise you on your questions regarding work and scholarships would be Dr Zappi and Dr. Boukadi. Good luck in your studies. Be sure to get involved with student organizations like the student chapter of the Society of Petroleum Engineers.


  17. #77
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Congratulations on getting accepted to UL and Petroleum Engineering. The best person to advise you on your questions regarding work and scholarships would be Dr Zappi and Dr. Boukadi. Good luck in your studies. Be sure to get involved with student organizations like the student chapter of the Society of Petroleum Engineers.
    Thank you and I already did before I made the update and am waiting on their response... I just wanted to let you all know because I just remembered about this and y'all helped me so much

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,538
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago24 View Post
    Thank you and I already did before I made the update and am waiting on their response... I just wanted to let you all know because I just remembered about this and y'all helped me so much
    Fantastic! And thank you for the thank you.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brownsville, TX
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Re: Petroleum Engineering

    Good luck man. You're going to love this program, school, and city


Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •