Thread: What Athletic Program would you like to see at UL?

Blog Entries

Poll What Athletic Program would you like to see at UL?

1.Men & Women LaCrosse
    2.Hockey
    3.Wrestling
    4. Men Soccer

UL Golf Re: What Athletic Program would you like to see at UL?

Prior to Hurricane Katrina, there were plans as stated by the previous AD that Women's Golf was going to be added. WG provided compliance with Title IX and fit in with existing Men's Golf without great expense, I believe were the reasons for adding that particular sport.

Katrina change all that preliminary work.

Default Re: What Athletic Program would you like to see at UL?

We already have a hockey team, plays teams in the south from texas and alabama and in louisiana. So i guess im going to have to go with men's soccer. With the sport growing in popularity and the usual strength Louisiana has in soccer, i dont see why it isnt at UL yet.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Actually 2 hockey teams at UL. One has been around for almost 10 years and has won a league title and been to nationals 3 times. The other started up last year with some fairly promising success.

Have to agree with Mens Soccer. As good as some of the schools are around here, we should be able to field a decent team

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ Actually 2 hockey teams at UL. One has been around for almost 10 years and has won a league title and been to nationals 3 times. The other started up last year with some fairly promising success.

Have to agree with Mens Soccer. As good as some of the schools are around here, we should be able to field a decent team _

Cant believe i forgot roller hockey, even when i played from middle school through high school. And yes the ice hockey team started slow but showed alot of promise near the end of the season, too bad it got cut short.

The hockey teams have no relation to the athletic department. They are club sports. So, if you do want hockey, it would be that you would want to see it listed as one of the athletic programs in the athletic department.

As for me, I'd like to see:

1. Lacrosse
    2. Wrestling
    3. Soccer

But of course, none of those will never happen because of Title IX.

Men's soccer

Lafayette is crawling with talent

Men's Soccer no doubt. There is such a hot bed of talent in the Lafayette and New Orleans areas that if they had a team I think they would make some serious noise.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Well if you are referring to hockey in the sense of the athletic dept, that will likely not happen for quite a while. The only D-1 NCAA ice hockey team around is Alabama-Huntsville. No other southern or non-traditional state teams. D-III is all tiny northern schools too. So, really it is a longshot, but I guess this thread can allow that.

Wrestling is not a bad idea either. Both wrestling and soccer could do with some expansion in the LHSAA though to be carried in more schools, but that is a school by school decision.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: What Athletic Program would you like to see at UL?

I also think we could do really well in wrestling. This state has produced a bunch of All-Americans and Olympians in that sport. I also think we could have a really good men's and women's swimming and diving team. Of course, our athletic budget would need to be several million dollars larger before we could even think about any of those sports.

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Womens Golf is getting close to starting, it will be the first to be added.

I would like to see Mens Soccer next so that our sports are even, so bump up the soccer club to a D1 program.

Next I would like to see a Mens and Womens swim team, as we have some 40+ swim teams in Acadiana and these kids geaux elsewhere due to UL not having a swim team. There are several kids that have been swimming with the Olympic team the last few Summers and these kids are being looked at by some mighty big schools.

Deep in the Ouachita Mountains Hot Springs Village, Ark

if memory serves, we did have a wrestling program in the late '60's-early '70's. i remember buddy lebas, mgr. at red's, being on the usl wrestling team. anyone else remember?

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Saint View Post
    if memory serves, we did have a wrestling program in the late '60's-early '70's. i remember buddy lebas, mgr. at red's, being on the usl wrestling team. anyone else remember?
    Athletic Network website shows wrestling team members from 1965 to 1976.

http://www.athleticnetwork.net/site....D=52&teamID=24

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Oh yes we had a program in the 60s and Randy McCracken coached a new team around '75---He brought all kind of crazy kids from the North and had a hell of a team ---Beat LSU at the old Gym in a great match!!!!! Randy kinda gave it up when Toby left!!!!

I say soccer. Lafayette and Louisiana as a nice pool of talent and if we were the first D1 school to have soccer we can start a strong program.

Also maybe the soccer coach will let the football team borrow a kicker for kick-offs. We have been extremely weak in the deep kick department for many years.

Hockey, we have too much talent too waste..they need to cut out the roller and ice club teams and just make one awesome ice team. NCAA though.

What about women's gymnastics?

Not sure how big gymnastics is around Lafayette, but I know it seems like there's a cheerleading academy every three blocks.

I think swimming and diving would be a natural fit, because of the climate, but like someone said, the budget would have to increase by several million dollars.

It would definitely have to be a women's program, because of Title IX.

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    Lafayette is crawling with talent _
    Women's beach volleyball. Oops sorry, Turbine, Lady Cajuns beach volleyball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    _ Men's Soccer no doubt. There is such a hot bed of talent in the Lafayette and New Orleans areas that if they had a team I think they would make some serious noise. _
    I would have to agree. The Lafayette area and Louisiana as a whole is crawling w/ soccer talent. Jesuit, Brother Martin, Lafayette High, Acadiana, Comeaux, Carencro, Sulpher, etc. are all full of above average soccer talent. Mix that in with a few out of state recruits and we would make one hell of a team. We already have a good club team so I could only imagine what we could do if we were actually part of the athletic program. I think if we add a women's golf team and a men's soccer team it puts us in the same boat we are in now. But just for the hell of it here's my order......

Men's Soccer
    Men's & Women's Lacross (This may be the coolest sport I never had the chance to play)
    Women's Golf
    Women's Swimming (If we need another sport to add balance)

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch24 View Post
    _
    I think swimming and diving would be a natural fit, because of the climate, but like someone said, the budget would have to increase by several million dollars.

_
    The most importent part of this statement is the last part of the sentence. We need to triple our current budget in order to compete with the current sports we have now.