Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2006-07 Athletic Budgets (UL turns profit ? )

Default Re: Athletic Budgets

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!

We have a winner.
    I must concur. Anything less than a full conference championship and a bowl game we tell Bustle thanks offer him a job at UL and look for a promising 1-AA coach but we don't give him the store so we can get rid of him if he doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ From my perspective as a Season Ticket Holder in 3 sports for about 20 years and 1 year in Softball I think a change in attitude needs to take place before anyone other than those of us diehards will start coming in with $$$'s... Change in attitude means to me

1. An AD that is up front promoting growth... Looking for conference affiliations that are better than the SBC... Showing and promoting a PLAN for growth... I remember Terry Don Phillips as the las AD that had such a plan...

2. A President that recognizes the role of Athletics

3. A demand for excellence.... Frequent readers on this board know my opinion on the football situation.... We have MOVED UP to a prediction of 4th in the worst football conference in America.... We are 50 miles from.... gagging here... one of the best foosball teams in the country.... And we expect the casual fan to step to the plate and become excited? Not going to happen.. Now come out after this year.. absent a conference championship... and clean house.... offer significant increase in pay and get a new regime in.... let the community know you are demanding excellence.... then you have made a start

4. Promote where you have excellence.... Baseball, with few exceptions... has been there... Reward Tony and the Lotiefs.... money and facilities.... Showcase them with PR.... Get the community... not just the diehards... excited about something UL...

5. Begin a foundation like we have been discussing....This is where WE can step up and put $10 or $10,000... But get lots of people involved... you can raise the ante later but if you have a RC foundation that has 1,000 members now you have some ambassadors....

Then and only then will you see the season ticket promotions taking hold.... Show us some progress and a PLAN... _

Once again, this sounds great but you can't bring in better coaches and pay them more without an increase in the budget. This whole thing is cyclical and it begins with both the administration and community at the SAME time. We have to do our part in driving ticket sales and excitement and boosting the RAF and the administration has to take it and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Once again, this sounds great but you can't bring in better coaches and pay them more without an increase in the budget. This whole thing is cyclical and it begins with both the administration and community at the SAME time. We have to do our part in driving ticket sales and excitement and boosting the RAF and the administration has to take it and run with it.
    I guess its the chicken or the egg thingy..... what comes first.... Personally I am tired of this whining that we dont have the money.... I think you have to prioritize differently... and I think T-Joe has alluded to that... When you are talking about the difference between $250k and $500k for a HC you are not really talking about that much money in a $8-$10 million budget... Yet the result on the field and in the stands would easily wipe out that difference... I dont know what the new field costs but I would have struggled through a few more years with the old turf if we would have used that money to get a quality HC... One that would put more W's on the scorecard... more W's = more butts in the seats... which means more money.. which means you can then buy your new turf... It's about choices and for me the highest priority should be winning football games and everything else follows...

Blog Entries

Support Re: 2006-07 Athletic Budgets ( UL turns profit ? )

Do I have this right? What am I missing?

UL turned a $2,968,708 profit for 2006-07 ? Profit might be the wrong word.

Revenue: $12,935,752
    Expenses: $ 9,967,044
    Excess $:  $ 2,968,708

Default Re: 2006-07 Athletic Budgets ( UL turns profit ? )

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Do I have this right? What am I missing?

UL turned a $2,968,708 profit for 2006-07 ? Profit might be the wrong word.

Revenue: $12,935,752
    Expenses: $ 9,967,044
    Excess $:  $ 2,968,708 _

Not a profit, but operated below projected and actual expenses. Remeber that the system allowed UL to increase it's support last year by about two million, and probably all of the things the AD wanted to do have not yet come on board.

IMO it is like you opening a snow ball stand and with overhead of 5K a year, and selling 3k in snowballs, and getting a 3k grant from the government for introducing snowballs to the neighborhood. You are not generating a profit with that business, and it is going to be viable only as long as the government gives you that grant, or you build your sales. Until UL generates more money than they spend they cannot have a profit. They can be within budget, or out of budget.

Default Re: 2006-07 Athletic Budgets ( UL turns profit ? )

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express View Post
    _ Not a profit, but operated below projected and actual expenses. Remeber that the system allowed UL to increase it's support last year by about two million, and probably all of the things the AD wanted to do have not yet come on board.

IMO it is like you opening a snow ball stand and with overhead of 5K a year, and selling 3k in snowballs, and getting a 3k grant from the government for introducing snowballs to the neighborhood. You are not generating a profit with that business, and it is going to be viable only as long as the government gives you that grant, or you build your sales. Until UL generates more money than they spend they cannot have a profit. They can be within budget, or out of budget. _
    I'm guessing the larger general fund transfer might have kicked in? Has it been long enough for that to have happened?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2