Thread: Correct ULing

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Correct ULing

I have noticed many incorrect ULs on the tube and in papers---When doing UL the right handmust be palm out and the left hand palm in

--any questions??????

Default Re: Correct ULing

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I have noticed many incorrect ULs on the tube and in papers---When doing UL the right handmust be palm out and the left hand palm in

--any questions??????

Personally, I'm sorry to see it catch on.

When it first came out, it was obvious where it came from: some people looked at all the old Southwest Conference hand signs (Texas 'Horns, Gig 'em Aggies, Texas Tech Pistol, Baylor Bear Claw, UH whatever), and said, "oh, let's do what the big schools do, and then maybe somebody will mistake us for a real school."

Real schools, of course, have their own traditions. They don't copy other people.

"Better one's own path, though imperfect, than another's well-made."
    --The Bhagavad Gita

--any questions?????? _

You still on the Beast?

Upside down, inside out, right hand, left hand. No matter which way, it all says -

"I love the Cajuns!"

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Hey fun

-Who else does UL---Actually I do a U and then the L

Try it with both hands at one time---remember the palm position!!!!! when I teach this it takes awhile!!!!

I have to agree with fun. I didn't see it till after the UL-Texas football game. Would like to see something a little more original.

_ I have noticed many incorrect ULs on the tube and in papers---When doing UL the right handmust be palm out and the left hand palm in

--any questions?????? _

Good Grief, we've got bigger fish to fry! (like winning in something other than softball)

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Good Grief, we've got bigger fish to fry! (like winning in something other than softball)
    You mean, winning in something other than JUST softball!

I remember using this sort of hand sign back around 03 or 04.

Even though it may not be 'original', I think you'd be hard pressed to find something in the same regard that is original.

I think that twisting one hand, so people can 'read' it is pretty silly. I usually throw both hands up in the air, flashing the sign. And to me, if you have to think about what you're about to do, just so you make sure it reads right, then it takes away from what the moment is all about.

I guess my point is that this is something that is pretty good and has caught on well...don't over think it.

posted via mobile device

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    Even though it may not be 'original', I think you'd be hard pressed to find something in the same regard that is original.
    Posted via http://igeaux.mobi _
    I agree.

The U-Hou-Hou fans use a hand sign made with their ring, middle and pinkie fingers up and the ring finger down on the thumb. It's no more original than anyone else's and I doubt they care.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Personally, I'm sorry to see it catch on.

When it first came out, it was obvious where it came from: some people looked at all the old Southwest Conference hand signs (Texas 'Horns, Gig 'em Aggies, Texas Tech Pistol, Baylor Bear Claw, UH whatever), and said, "oh, let's do what the big schools do, and then maybe somebody will mistake us for a real school."

Real schools, of course, have their own traditions. They don't copy other people.

"Better one's own path, though imperfect, than another's well-made."
    --The Bhagavad Gita
    _

Though we may be a real school, unfortunately, we don't have our own traditions, at least I can't think of any right now.

I don't know that by using a UL hand sign we are copying anyone. I don't think Louisville uses it, so who are we copying? Texas has the perfect hand sign with the Longhorn. It probably was on old SWC thing that all schools used a hand sign, likelyl a result of what Texas was doing. But, the UL hand sign is unique and is something that we should be able to identify with.

It doesn't bother Florida that our football stadium was called The Swamp before they adopted it, or LSU using Geaux Tigers after we used Geaux Cajuns. Were they copying us? Perhaps. But, they basically took ownership of it because of their national exposure. It certainly adds to their traditions.

My point is, we need traditions at UL. Maybe you or someone can identify what we do have or what we consider to be traditions at UL. That would be a great topic to discuss. I like the UL hand signal. It is something we can uniquely identify with. LSU can't do it and neither can ULM or Tulane or any other school in Louisiana for that matter.

If you don't like that hand gesture, I'm pretty sure this one is available:

The summer dead season is in full swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Land Cajun View Post
    _ My point is, we need traditions at UL. Maybe you or someone can identify what we do have or what we consider to be traditions at UL. That would be a great topic to discuss.
    All the schools with great tradition have something in common. At some point they've had tremendous success and the fan base rallied around the team. The love for the team was passed on through generations. Tradition should be natural, not forced (unless you're an aggie ). To me talking about it and deciding what is good and what is not seems weird...

The only way to make true traditions is winning some dang football games!

That being said, I'll do a complete 180 and still talk about it cause it's dead season!

Good Traditions:
    I like our entrance cadence and fanfare into the field. Also, playing "Do what you wanna" on the way into the stadium is cool.

Bad Traditions:
    Losing games. Playing "ESPN" theme during games. The homecoming parade should be MUCH shorter, so that there can be a higher concentration of people instead of random handfuls of people along Johnston.

Can you tell I was in the band? lol

That's U-Hou's hand signal. Seriously. I cracked up when i saw it

Blog Entries

The right direction of your hands depends on the proximity of your audience.

Rule of thumb when doing the "I love UL" hand sign . . . if you point remember to point your thumbs to your left, both hands will say automatically say UL to the person(s) in front of you.

However if you raise your arms straight up in the natural position and do the sign you have 1 for the people in front and 1 for the people behind.

Ragin Pagin has had an avatar since it's inception in 2002.

The oldest picture of anyone doing the sign is one I took when I taught the 2002 Ragin Jazz to pose doing it.

Its use continues to grow but as recently as 2004 I was taking a picture of a group of "Volunteer Day" student volunteers and had to show the students how to make the sign.

Now you see it organically at every UL sporting event. It is a natural fit.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Our athletes themselves make the UL hand symbol all of the time. Which one of you trumps them?

I guess we shouldn't have a band... someone thought of that before us. I guess we shouldn't have a cheer... someone else already did that. Maybe we shouldn't wear the school colors... everyone does that. Maybe we shouldn't have the team come thru the tunnel... seen that done in bunches. Gee, what else could my candy azz whine about not doing because someone else does it?

The UL hand sign is currently in use. If you do it, do it like Boomer says... simple as that. If you don't want to make UL with "your" hand... don't do it... but I bet everything you've been doing with those hands isn't original.

As for knuckleheads that continuously cackle "why are talking about that, winning is our problem". That is analogous to the moronic "why are we looking for water, our thirst is the problem". Winning is a result of everything going right. Yep, even fans and players doing the UL hand symbol in a show of solidarity plays a part in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Well said, sir.