_ _ _ _

Thread: Track The Bracket. . . Projecting The SBC Championship Field

Ragin' Cajuns Track The Bracket. . . Projecting The SBC Championship Field

If the 2013-14 season ended today, the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns men's basketball team would earn a No. 5 seed in next months Sun Belt Conference Championship, which will be played from March 13-16 at Lakefront Arena in New Orleans.

Default Re: Track The Bracket. . . Projecting The SBC Championship Field

I'm really curious to hear what everyone thinks about the format of the SBC basketball tournament. Seems to me if you have eight teams you let everyone play on the first day 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Track The Bracket. . . Projecting The SBC Championship Field

The purpose of the tournament is to give all qualifiers a chance, but you still want to reward the regular season, and you still hope your champ matches the regular season, thus a first round pass. I have no problem with this.

MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I love it, it makes the regular season mean some thing. My 1 cent opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    I'm really curious to hear what everyone thinks about the format of the SBC basketball tournament. Seems to me if you have eight teams you let everyone play on the first day 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.
    Off the top of my head, your way is not a good format for two reasons.

1) doesn't place a large reward on winning the regular season as no matter where your are seeded, you have to win 4 games

2) your way doesn't protect the league's top performers from potential first round upsets. Personally I hate seeing a SBC team at or around .500 in the dance at a #15 or #16 seed. It looks bad on the conference. I want a 20+ win team in that thing.

This isn't a radical format. I know the WCC and a few other conferences do this. It really is one of the best ways to do a conference tournament.

I understand protecting the champion but there has to be a better way than the first two round bye. Just my opinion but why have a tournament if you have no faith in your champion. It like we are saying we know we are not a good enough conference to get our champion into the dance unless they win the tournament so let do all we can to make money while ensuring they get in. Just my opinion will be at tourney no matter what.

I love the format.

Yall do realize if we win tonight we are only one game out of #2 spot.

Geaux Cajuns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    I understand protecting the champion but there has to be a better way than the first two round bye. Just my opinion but why have a tournament if you have no faith in your champion. It like we are saying we know we are not a good enough conference to get our champion into the dance unless they win the tournament so let do all we can to make money while ensuring they get in. Just my opinion will be at tourney no matter what.
    The SBC has been a one bid league for a while now and unless the league as a whole starts winning some good OOC games or you get a team like Middle's last year, then it will stay a one bid league. To me you want to give your best team the opportunity to advance in both your conference tournament and the NCAA tournament.

This format was discussed on here and on the SBC board last year when Middle was looking like they'd get an at-large. I think most thought this format was the best route. What do you suggest as an appropriate alternate that both rewards the regular season and helps your best teams get into the dance?

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

I like it. It rewards the regular season achievers and makes them fight for every regular season game, but stll allows a full field a shot at the tourney. It lowers the chances of a bad record representing the SBC (and since we send, generally, one representative to the NCAAs, we need a good record and at least a 12 or 13 seed to give our conference a chance of advancing). But, it also allows a reshuffling of the deck if the regular season achievers have lost their mojo in the late run... and a late peaking team is making a run just in time for tourney play. I like it.

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I like it. It rewards the regular season achievers and makes them fight for every regular season game, but stll allows a full field a shot at the tourney. It lowers the chances of a bad record representing the SBC (and since we send, generally, one representative to the NCAAs, we need a good record and at least a 12 or 13 seed to give our conference a chance of advancing). But, it also allows a reshuffling of the deck if the regular season achievers have lost their mojo in the late run... and a late peaking team is making a run just in time for tourney play. I like it.

---I guess it has been this way since Biddy b-ball for me how we beat you and you beat them and they beat you---MATCH UPS---Playing at Jesuit was the same in the Catholic district---When I was the head b-ball coach at St. Louis in LC the same deal of why we could beat IOWA and they kill Kinder and Kinder beats us---So Cajun Mike---How do we match up in the Belt Tourney and whom do we avoid and/or want to play??? Had some good and bad memories in that building through the years with UL and Loyola games!!!

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I concur.

The double bye format is being used now by several conferences (The Big East did it with a sixteen team format before the split.) More are going to the format now for reasons above.

But there's another reason. And I think only one person really brought it up.

This protects the teams that did well during the regular season, giving them a better chance to win the tournament AND THEREFORE get a decent seed for that team in the NCAA tournament. The last three years, there has been an upset. Our league tournament champion the last three years were 1) in the play in game, 2) in the play in game and 3) a sixteen seed. That makes it very difficult to advance in the tournament.

Last year Middle Tennessee would probably have been a 13 seed...maybe even a twelve (had they won the tournament they would have had 30 wins.). Instead the Sun Belt champion has been a bottom seed three years in a row which damages the reputation of the league even further than reality does.

It doesn't always work. But the theory is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    The SBC has been a one bid league for a while now and unless the league as a whole starts winning some good OOC games or you get a team like Middle's last year, then it will stay a one bid league. To me you want to give your best team the opportunity to advance in both your conference tournament and the NCAA tournament.

This format was discussed on here and on the SBC board last year when Middle was looking like they'd get an at-large. I think most thought this format was the best route. What do you suggest as an appropriate alternate that both rewards the regular season and helps your best teams get into the dance?
    The league was a two big league last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    The league was a two big league last year.
    I know. That's why I stated in the first part of my post, "unless the league as a whole starts winning some good OOC games or you get a team like Middle's last year, then it will stay a one bid league."

You can't count on a team like Middle's last year to happen every year. Also can't expect said team to wet the bed in the conference tournament and miss out on the league's at large bid. I think last year was an outlier of the general trend in SBC hoops.