_ _ _ _

Thread: Bring Marty back

UL Basketball Bring Marty back

At least Marty Fletcher coached teams could shoot the ball. Can you name me one player that became a better shooter under head coach Robert Lee? I save you time, the were all better shooters in high school and JC

Default Re: Bring Marty back

that is a good point. Even though he may be a good guy, Lee is proving once again that he is arguably the worst coach in D1. If he stays on for a couple of more years, he will learn to coach better perhaps and the team will get more experienced (if the best players don't leave) and start winning games based on being naturally better players (rather than coaching). But this year is going to be a record similar to last year, even with better talent and a bit more experience. They will also continue to play up or down to competition level, losing by 5 to 15 points no matter if it is top 40 team or bottom 40 team. A few wins will happen, mainly due to the still pretty weak sunbelt, but don't count on many of those.

Uhh...WTF. Coach Lee is gonna be the blame for everything this team does. We know this. However, making the transition from Jesse Evans' rent a team style of recruiting to a program where we build teams over the course of years means a lot of heartache for the basketball faithful. Get over it! Secondly you seem to forget that Coach Lee was an assistant coach for a while before becoming the head man. That means that all the players that got better after coming here were in fact coached by (get this) ROBERT LEE. I know it's a bit hard to grasp the concept of an assistant coach actually coaching, but it happens. Finally you should be slapped by your mom for even mentioning Marty's name. Do you not remember what he did with this program? He was getting bluechippers and squandered it. But you know you're right. I mean he did wonders with his next couple of jobs. Give me a break!

I blame all this on jello pudding. Nobody wants to take the time to do it right anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    _ Uhh...WHAT. Coach Lee is gonna be the blame for everything this team does. We know this. However, making the transition from Jesse Evans' rent a team style of recruiting to a program where we build teams over the course of years means a lot of heartache for the basketball faithful. Get over it! Secondly you seem to forget that Coach Lee was an assistant coach for a while before becoming the head man. That means that all the players that got better after coming here were in fact coached by (get this) ROBERT LEE. I know it's a bit hard to grasp the concept of an assistant coach actually coaching, but it happens. Finally you should be slapped by your mom for even mentioning Marty's name. Do you not remember what he did with this program? He was getting bluechippers and squandered it. But you know you're right. I mean he did wonders with his next couple of jobs. Give me a break!

I blame all this on jello pudding. Nobody wants to take the time to do it right anymore. _
    Well said...

Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    _ Uhh...WHAT. Coach Lee is gonna be the blame for everything this team does. We know this. However, making the transition from Jesse Evans' rent a team style of recruiting to a program where we build teams over the course of years means a lot of heartache for the basketball faithful. Get over it! Secondly you seem to forget that Coach Lee was an assistant coach for a while before becoming the head man. That means that all the players that got better after coming here were in fact coached by (get this) ROBERT LEE. I know it's a bit hard to grasp the concept of an assistant coach actually coaching, but it happens. Finally you should be slapped by your mom for even mentioning Marty's name. Do you not remember what he did with this program? He was getting bluechippers and squandered it. But you know you're right. I mean he did wonders with his next couple of jobs. Give me a break!

I blame all this on jello pudding. Nobody wants to take the time to do it right anymore. _
    blah blah blah.... The same excuse talk has been going on for 3 years. Last time I checked, players are only eligible 4 years, so the "improvement" program needs to happen quicker than the pace it is on now. 1-5. that is the fact. Last year the record was equally poor. excuse was young team, without some players being eligible, next year will be better. This is next year. Now we are supposed to wait a couple of more years I suppose. The fact is that in 3 years time, one of the proudest and consistently winning college basketball programs in the country (perhaps an overall top 50 program over the past few decades) has been run into the ground. 2 years in a row of "improvement" has resulted in two years of being probably amongst the worst 10 teams in D1 (judging by the scoreboard after games are over, a novel concept).

Keep living your pipe dream of 3 or 4 years from now the Cajuns under Lee will have "built up" to a powerhouse or just get back to where they were for most of 3 decades, a winning team just about every year.

I think some fans on this board actually enjoy the idea of being able to watch the process of slowly building and turning around the program. Unfortunately, the record keeps getting worse. Wins and losses.... That is how teams are judged. Reply back when the wins under Lee actually increase from one year to the next. My guess is that they never will, even with the miserable performance last year.

Perhaps 10 wins this year, maybe... if things go right. There will be a couple of blow out wins against upper echelon sunbelt teams that get people excited. then the cajuns will get blown out by those very same teams or lower echelon teams. it is called inconsisitency, which should be Lee's nickname.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiCajun32 View Post
    _ that is a good point. Even though he may be a good guy, Lee is proving once again that he is arguably the worst coach in D1. If he stays on for a couple of more years, he will learn to coach better perhaps and the team will get more experienced (if the best players don't leave) and start winning games based on being naturally better players (rather than coaching). But this year is going to be a record similar to last year, even with better talent and a bit more experience. They will also continue to play up or down to competition level, losing by 5 to 15 points no matter if it is top 40 team or bottom 40 team. A few wins will happen, mainly due to the still pretty weak sunbelt, but don't count on many of those. _
    Sun Belt is better than last year. League has wins over Iowa, NC State, Oklahoma State, Michigan, and Nebraska this year. Therefore you are probably right about the record being similar to last season. Most people thought we would improve but may not have accounted for how long it is taking young guys to play at this level. Personally I think they are trying too hard-Mental issues Best chance for improvement next year is the big guys we have recruited in the early signing period.

every post i've ever read from you (miamicajun32) has been to blast the university. i'm not against criticism by any means, i do when i feel the need too. but feel free to mix in some sunshine every now and then....sheeeeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    every post i've ever read from you (miamicajun32) has been to blast the university. i'm not against criticism by any means, i do when i feel the need too. but feel free to mix in some sunshine every now and then....sheeeeesh!
    MiamiCajun32 is just like the rest of us, he wants to win and win now. I understand his frustration. Living so far away from here, it is difficult for him to see other things going on beyond the wins and losses. He is right about one thing, inconsistency. Look at the last two games, we did OK offensively and poor defensively at Tennessee. Last night we did well defensively and were about as bad as you can be offensively. Free throw shooting cost us the games at LA Tech and here against UAB while we were great in that regard last night. We just can't seem to put all phases of the game together at one time. If things don't improve next year when we get our post guys, he will get his wish as a change will likely be made.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by That USL Bounce View Post
    At least Marty Fletcher coached teams could shoot the ball. Can you name me one player that became a better shooter under head coach Robert Lee? I save you time, the were all better shooters in high school and JC
    you get Marty back, you have to take his wife, too. I'll pass.

Z

I don't know what this team is doing, the games I have seen tell me we have guys that can shoot. I will be there tomorrow cheering them on (it will be my last game without a diploma ). The Jessie Evans talk is wearing thin and it is time for some results. I don't expect them to set the world on fire, but 9-44 from the field is inexcusable! They simply have to play better, and what better way to play better than with some fans at home cheering for them. No easy answers here, they just need to practice hard and play harder. With our D doing their job, our biggest opponent is the rim.

UL Basketball Re: Bring Marty back

Ross Mouton became a better shooter under Coach Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiCajun32 View Post
    _ ................. Even though he may be a good guy, Lee is proving once again that he is arguably the worst coach in D1. ..................
    I told you that after watching his first game as D1 headcoach!!!!

Now get ready because it will get worse before..........

UL Basketball Re: Bring Marty back

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    _ Ross Mouton became a better shooter under Coach Lee. _
    I have a different problem with Ross and it's my unanswered question does anyone know the real reaon why he gave up his fourth year of eligibility? Was he burnt out or run off or what?

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA or BUST View Post
    _ I have a different problem with Ross and it's my unanswered question does anyone know the real reaon why he gave up his fourth year of eligibility? Was he burnt out or run off or what? _
    Ross played for four years. He was out of eligibility. Rhett Hebert gave up his final season because he had his degree.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    _ Ross played for four years. He was out of eligibility. Rhett Hebert gave up his final season because he had his degree. _
    IMO it was a shame that Evans blew the 1st year of Ross' eligibility on limited meaningless time-rather tha redshirting him and letting him get stronger and allowing him the additional year on the back end as he was a stronger better player.

Wasn't that the season when we opened up against Xavier and we only had 8 kids eligible? Oh the glory days bring back the glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LsuULfan View Post
    _ IMO it was a shame that Evans blew the 1st year of Ross' eligibility on limited meaningless time-rather tha redshirting him and letting him get stronger and allowing him the additional year on the back end as he was a stronger better player. _
    The problem that year was at the beginning of the season Evans was waiting on about 5 or 6 guys to become eligible either academically or from transfering. I think Ross even started a few of those early season games because there was simply no one else to play. By the time the roster got sorted out Mouton wasn't playing but a year of his eligibility was shot because Evans couldn't get his players to handle their business in the classroom.

This years team just went through finals week and their was no drama of "I hope this guy makes his grades" or "I can't wait til this guy becomes eligible again". What coach Lee has done with his players academically can't be over looked, he has actually taken guys that didn't qualify out of High School and turned them into better students.

Give Lee some time, he decided to take this program in an entirely different direction and cleaned house and statred from nothing. If they are not winning by the time Milsap is a senior then will be the time to start talking about looking for another coach.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    _ every post i've ever read from you (miamicajun32) has been to blast the university. i'm not against criticism by any means, i do when i feel the need too. but feel free to mix in some sunshine every now and then....sheeeeesh! _
    I don't think it is too difficult to look up old posts on this site. If you go past last season I think you will see my almost naively optimistic posts re basketball program.

I am only blasting what I believe is to be the worst coaching job in Cajuns basketball history.

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA or BUST View Post
    I have a different problem with Ross and it's my unanswered question does anyone know the real reaon why he gave up his fourth year of eligibility? Was he burnt out or run off or what?
    Ross played four years. He never redshirted. Adam James would have had to apply to get his fourth year back as the paperwork was not filled out after his first year when he played in two games. He is graduating this December so that is probably why he did not pursue it. That is the same reason Rhett Hebert did not go after another year. He graduated in May and had a job waiting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    Wasn't that the season when we opened up against Xavier and we only had 8 kids eligible? Oh the glory days bring back the glory days.
    The first game that season was against Ga. Tech, not Xavier.