Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Breaux Bridge
    Posts
    3,905

    Default Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

    There was a side story just discussed on Monday Night Football. I found this article. http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/s...cons_1118.html

    I also had forgotten about Travis Smothers until they started talking about his mother Betty.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    15,188

    Default Re: Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    There was a side story just discussed on Monday Night Football. I found this article. http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/s...cons_1118.html

    I also had forgotten about Travis Smothers until they started talking about his mother Betty.
    I went to high school with Warrick (although he was 2 years older than I), I remember (I think it was his senior year, I was a sophomore) when his mom was killed. Baton Rouge, and our school was all in a stir at the time.

    Warrick is such a nice guy. He does so much good work in Baton Rouge, Tampa (still does it even though he does not play there anymore), and now in Atlanta. Most of his work is centered around single mothers struggling to get by. He usually puts the down payment on a house for someone in each city every year!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hue's Ton
    Posts
    2,921

    Default Re: Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

    They said on MNF that he's dropped down payments on fully furnished homes for more than 70 single mothers in those 3 cities, as well as in tallahassee. He's been NFL man of the year several times as well. And, after H. Katrina, he challeneged each NFL player publicly to give no less than $5k, saying that even the guys making the minimum could afford that.

    Truly a great guy.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Way too far from the beach
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

    Quote Originally Posted by andrepourciau View Post
    I went to high school with Warrick (although he was 2 years older than I), I remember (I think it was his senior year, I was a sophomore) when his mom was killed. Baton Rouge, and our school was all in a stir at the time.
    Just about everytime I pass the (now vacant) bank bldg. on Jefferson Hwy, I think about that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    15,188

    Default Re: Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

    Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    Just about everytime I pass the (now vacant) bank bldg. on Jefferson Hwy, I think about that.
    I know it was a long time ago, but I swear I remember it being a conveince store.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    646

    Default Re: Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

    Quote Originally Posted by andrepourciau View Post
    I know it was a long time ago, but I swear I remember it being a conveince store.
    It was a bank. She was working off duty bringing in the night deposit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •