Thread: Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

Default Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

There was a side story just discussed on Monday Night Football. I found this article. http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/s...cons_1118.html

I also had forgotten about Travis Smothers until they started talking about his mother Betty.

Default Re: Warrick Dunn / Betty Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    There was a side story just discussed on Monday Night Football. I found this article. http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/s...cons_1118.html

I also had forgotten about Travis Smothers until they started talking about his mother Betty.
    I went to high school with Warrick (although he was 2 years older than I), I remember (I think it was his senior year, I was a sophomore) when his mom was killed. Baton Rouge, and our school was all in a stir at the time.

Warrick is such a nice guy. He does so much good work in Baton Rouge, Tampa (still does it even though he does not play there anymore), and now in Atlanta. Most of his work is centered around single mothers struggling to get by. He usually puts the down payment on a house for someone in each city every year!

They said on MNF that he's dropped down payments on fully furnished homes for more than 70 single mothers in those 3 cities, as well as in tallahassee. He's been NFL man of the year several times as well. And, after H. Katrina, he challeneged each NFL player publicly to give no less than $5k, saying that even the guys making the minimum could afford that.

Truly a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by andrepourciau View Post
    I went to high school with Warrick (although he was 2 years older than I), I remember (I think it was his senior year, I was a sophomore) when his mom was killed. Baton Rouge, and our school was all in a stir at the time.
    Just about everytime I pass the (now vacant) bank bldg. on Jefferson Hwy, I think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    Just about everytime I pass the (now vacant) bank bldg. on Jefferson Hwy, I think about that.
    I know it was a long time ago, but I swear I remember it being a conveince store.

Quote Originally Posted by andrepourciau View Post
    I know it was a long time ago, but I swear I remember it being a conveince store.
    It was a bank. She was working off duty bringing in the night deposit.