Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana's Campus 1983 - 84

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . 1984 Kiss the "S" good-bye

A demonstration of the "Hustle UP Bustle UP" attitude of 84 when we first became Louisiana.

Louisiana

Heady times! I remember them well. Do you remember the song?

"You can kiss our 'S' good-bye, we're U of L..."

LSUA&MBR's interference in Louisiana's affairs marked more than a thousand lives as we were asked to give back UL diplomas, et cetera.

Who could walk in that graduation ceremony and forget what was done to us?

Originally posted by Louisiana84

LSUA&MBR's interference in Louisiana's affairs marked more than a thousand lives as we were asked to give back UL diplomas, et cetera.

Never heard it. Is that the sign by Blackham? If it is then it is sad cause they put the S back up and still have not removed it.

Give that spray paint guy a Budweiser!

I might use that pic as my avatar....

Maybe this is a well known fact, but I just discovered it. We're not the first University of Louisiana. In fact, UL existed before LSU. Perhaps LSU (1860) exists only because Tulane did not protest. A paste from Tulane's website:

Tulane History

The forerunner to Tulane University - the Medical College of Louisiana - was founded in 1834 as the South's first medical school. By 1847, the public University of Louisiana was established, and the Medical College was joined by a law department (now School of Law) and a collegiate department (now Tulane College). Tulane was established as a private university in 1884 when the public University of Louisiana was reorganized and named in honor of benefactor Paul Tulane, a wealthy merchant who bequeathed more than $1 million to endow a university for the city where he had earned his fortune. This newly-formed institution included schools of liberal arts and sciences, law, medicine and graduate studies.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . .

Funny thing now, Austin, is there's a small handful of Toolame fools out there who think that since "of Louisiana" is still part of their official name that they still have exclusive rights to it!! Funny, they really AREN'T as smart as they look!!!

Ragin' Cajuns 1984 Kiss the "S" good-bye

Chuck,

If I remember correctly (I was a sophomore there in 1984), that sign was the one at the corner of South College and Congress street at the Cajun field parking lot. I certainly was and still am very upset at what LSU A&M BR and Edwin Edwards did to us. To this day, I pull for LSU A&M BR to lose every game in every sport they ever play for the rest of eternity!!!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana's Campus 1983 - 84

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84

I'll have to ask my mom about that, she graduated from UL in '84.

Default Re: Louisiana's Campus 1983 - 84

Guaranty Bank building at the corner of St Mary and Rex, 1984.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mr Cook, 1984.

Attached Images Attached Images    

BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns_fan View Post
    Mr Cook, 1984.
    2nd window from the left. But I was long gone by 1984.

Empire Gameroom? What was on the second floor above Mr. Cook? I do remember the Mr. Cook from when I was a kid and we would come on campus for school events.

BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Empire Gameroom? What was on the second floor above Mr. Cook? I do remember the Mr. Cook from when I was a kid and we would come on campus for school events.
    There were some pinball/foosball games up there when I was there from 76-80. Mostly between class seating for the folks from Vermilion Parish.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    There were some pinball/foosball games up there when I was there from 76-80. Mostly between class seating for the folks from Vermilion Parish.
    Yep: back in the day there was a bus that picked up folks from Kaplan, Abbeville, Maurice etc., that would take them to the campus. Don't know when this stopped, but I do know know it is no longer done.
    So people who did this usually had time to kill as there was only one bus a day....so a lot of them waited there. After all, that is better than waiting in the library and doing homework, right? lol!
    But I do not remember the "Empire Game Room," so I would think that happened sometime after the very early 80's.

Yep: back in the day there was a bus that picked up folks from Kaplan, Abbeville, Maurice etc., that would take them to the campus. Don't know when this stopped, but I do know know it is no longer done.
    So people who did this usually had time to kill as there was only one bus a day....so a lot of them waited there. After all, that is better than waiting in the library and doing homework, right? lol!
    There was also a bus that started in Delcambre to pick up those on the eastern side of the parish. Lots of good times up there.

Well, before Mr. Cook, it was a Burger Chef. There was one on campus and one at the corner of Johnston and S.College, where the new Panera Bread is now. One summer day, in 1970 or 71, me and a couple of friends rode our bikes to the Burger Chef on campus, from Rayne! We took I-10 until we got to Scott, then were told to get off by a real nice state trooper. We ate at the BC, remember drinking about 3 choc. shakes too! Then we headed back to Rayne on Ridge Road. Made it back about 3/4 of the way and got a ride back from another friend's Dad who came across us that day. We were tired....but the felt pretty good about ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Well, before Mr. Cook, it was a Burger Chef. There was one on campus and one at the corner of Johnston and S.College, where the new Panera Bread is now. One summer day, in 1970 or 71, me and a couple of friends rode our bikes to the Burger Chef on campus, from Rayne! We took I-10 until we got to Scott, then were told to get off by a real nice state trooper. We ate at the BC, remember drinking about 3 choc. shakes too! Then we headed back to Rayne on Ridge Road. Made it back about 3/4 of the way and got a ride back from another friend's Dad who came across us that day. We were tired....but the felt pretty good about ourselves.
    No fancy road bikes back in that day.

I did a 50 miler when I was 14. A bit tough. No wind resistance back then.

A very nice State trooper indeed, lol...

And not to be too picky, but if you are an old fart like me you will remember that the BC was actually where N. College is now....when they built the road they moved it to the Panera Bread location is now, but I think it was Mr. Cook by then????

A very nice State trooper indeed, lol...

And not to be too picky, but if you are an old fart like me you will remember that the BC was actually where N. College is now....when they built the road they moved it to the Panera Bread location is now, but I think it was Mr. Cook by then????
    Probably right...it is north of Johnston, so I its called N.College. I still call South College!

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    No fancy road bikes back in that day.

I did a 50 miler when I was 14. A bit tough. No wind resistance back then.
    Right....we were on what was referred to back then as Stingray bikes. If I remember right, they all had about 20" wheels and a back brake with the banana seat! Good for wheelies and going off ramps, in and out of ditches! Quick starts, but no top end speed. Lots of pedaling! I never tried that again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast