_ _ _ _

Thread: UL in Rainbow Classic for 3rd time

1. UL Basketball UL in Rainbow Classic for 3rd time

RAINBOW BRIGHT: UL does not know its first-round opponent, but the field has been completed for the 44th Rainbow Classic men's basketball tournament scheduled Dec. 19-22 in Honolulu, Hawaii.

The Cajuns will be in an eight-team field that includes Georgia, St. John's, St. Mary's (Calif.), Tulane, East Tennessee State and Ohio University along with host Hawaii.

UL will play three games in its only tournament appearance of the 2007-08 season. It will be the Cajuns' third appearance in the Rainbow Classic following participation in the 1992-93 and 1998-99 events.

The rest of the story

2. UL Basketball Re: UL in Rainbow Classic for 3rd time

The Rainbow Warriors open the tournament on Dec. 19 against Louisiana-Lafayette at 7:30 p.m.

The rest of the story
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: UL in Rainbow Classic for 3rd time

Participating in a tournament in Hawai'i is a waste of money for a Ragin Cajun basketball program without a lot of money. A quick search of Kayak.com reveals the least expensive plane flight from Lafayette (New Orleans or Houston, too) to Honolulu is around $720 a ticket. Furthermore, the Cajuns must take into account the average hotel room in Honolulu is $250 a night. Including five nights in Hawai'i and airfare, not including food and transportation, this tournament will cost the Cajuns around $2,000 a person/athlete. It's a high price to pay to participate in a tournament which will receive no national attention and isn't even the best tournament in Hawai'i (Maui  Invitational is more important and receives more attention.)

Even more disappointing, the tournament includes no team who made the NCAA postseason tournament last year (St. Marys, Hawai'i, Eastern Tenn State, Tulane, Georgia, Ohio, St. Johns). There are teams in the tournament who will not come close to winning their conference. These teams will have high RPIs which will drag down the already high RPI of the Cajuns. And the tournament is not in an area saturated with good high school players or transfer athletes, athletes the Cajuns desperately need, who will look at the Cajuns as a place to play.

If the Cajuns desperately want to play in a tournament, the Cajuns must place close to home to drive down transportation cost, and against teams who will go to the NCAA tournament and thus will raise the Cajuns' RPI. There are weekend tournaments every year in locations closer to Lafayette than Honolulu, Hawai'i.

Yes, the athletes get to see the beautiful beaches of Hawai'i, but if that's a motive, why not go to Los Ángeles, play UCLA, boost the RPI, cultivate a fertile transfer recruiting ground and receive a huge check?

Lastly, if the Cajuns want to participate in a tournament, why not host a one day doubleheader like South Alabama last year? (http://www.usajaguars.com/ViewArticl...&ATCLID=726792)

It's just four teams, one night long and the Cajuns could require fans to buy tickets to both games. It'd be easy to grab a sponsor, and with a one day doubleheader, there would be no worry of lackluster attendance to the second day, which afflicts most tournaments. Even better, bigger schools can come to Lafayette and bring their large fanbase, especially if the game is played on a weekend. And, the bigger schools, unlike the schools in the tournament in Hawai'i, would help raise the RPI of the Cajuns and the other opponents in the doubleheader.

The Cajuns vs Texas A&M and Rice vs LSU. The Cajuns don't have to play LSU, which they never should in any sport, and the fanbases of Texas A&M and LSU, along with the fans of the Cajuns, buy tons of tickets for both games and the money and publicity help the Cajuns.

One evening tournament in Lafayette would raise money for a basketball program that is having difficulty selling tickets under Robert Lee, would generate local interest, and would be more financially responsible than playing a three day tournament in Honolulu, Hawai'i around December.

Simply put, the tournament in Hawai'i is a waste of money. Money which could and should be spent on a one evening tournament held in Lafayette.

I disagree with your opinion of the tournament, but you do make a few valid points about RPI. We used to have our own (well-respected) tournament called the Bayou Classic (this was prior to the Grambling-Southern football game taking that name). I don't see this ever coming back. It was a different era (pre-ESPN). I absolutely disagree with your statement that we should never play LSU in any sport! WHY NOT??? I think we should play in every sport when it is mutually convenient to do so.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I believe I had heard mentioned at one time that this may have been a mea culpa for Gradnigo, as the other team recruiting him was going to a Hawaii tournament. Can't confirm this, but someone else may have a better memory than me.

The beautiful beaches ain't in Honolulu! In fact, the city and the island are a huge disappointment. It is a very long trip to see very little. Hopeully, the basketball will make it worthwhile.

It will not cost the basketball team $2000 per player. In fact, the Alumni association is offering a package for $1540 which includes air fare and 7 nights in a hotel.

I think it is great that the basketball team is going to this tournament. It gives the players a great trip to look forward to. This may be the only time these kids get to go to Honolulu.

UL Basketball Re: UL in Rainbow Classic for 3rd time

Why on earth should UL never play LSU? I think that my friend is a waste of money and great competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfever View Post
    I think it is great that the basketball team is going to this tournament. It gives the players a great trip to look forward to. This may be the only time these kids get to go to Honolulu. _
    Me too. Yes, sir I hope they have a great time and see the Arizona Memorial, learn how to surf and eat at the Da' Smokehouse BBQ and I hope they win all their ball games.

Geaux Cajuns and pass me that Spam and pineapple salad.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by TillmansNumber1 View Post
    Simply put, the tournament in Hawai'i is a waste of money. Money which could and should be spent on a one evening tournament held in Lafayette.
    D A M N!!! we just named David Walker as the A.D.!!

you would have done a much better job!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    D A M N!!! we just named David Walker as the A.D.!!

you would have done a much better job!

Z
    The President's job is still open........

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL in Rainbow Classic for 3rd time

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    ...pass me that Spam and pineapple salad.

The "Hawaiian Steak" really caught me off guard the first time one of the locals asked me if I was hungry! Lol...Had to ask "are you serious?" I plan on making the trip...Cheer on the Cajuns while visiting with family members!

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by TillmansNumber1 View Post
    _ Participating in a tournament in Hawai'i is a waste of money for a Ragin Cajun basketball program without a lot of money. A quick search of Kayak.com reveals the least expensive plane flight from Lafayette (New Orleans or Houston, too) to Honolulu is around $720 a ticket. Furthermore, the Cajuns must take into account the average hotel room in Honolulu is $250 a night. Including five nights in Hawai'i and airfare, not including food and transportation, this tournament will cost the Cajuns around $2,000 a person/athlete. It's a high price to pay to participate in a tournament which will receive no national attention and isn't even the best tournament in Hawai'i (Maui  Invitational is more important and receives more attention.)

Even more disappointing, the tournament includes no team who made the NCAA postseason tournament last year (St. Marys, Hawai'i, Eastern Tenn State, Tulane, Georgia, Ohio, St. Johns). There are teams in the tournament who will not come close to winning their conference. These teams will have high RPIs which will drag down the already high RPI of the Cajuns. And the tournament is not in an area saturated with good high school players or transfer athletes, athletes the Cajuns desperately need, who will look at the Cajuns as a place to play.

If the Cajuns desperately want to play in a tournament, the Cajuns must place close to home to drive down transportation cost, and against teams who will go to the NCAA tournament and thus will raise the Cajuns' RPI. There are weekend tournaments every year in locations closer to Lafayette than Honolulu, Hawai'i.

Yes, the athletes get to see the beautiful beaches of Hawai'i, but if that's a motive, why not go to Los Ángeles, play UCLA, boost the RPI, cultivate a fertile transfer recruiting ground and receive a huge check?

Lastly, if the Cajuns want to participate in a tournament, why not host a one day doubleheader like South Alabama last year? (http://www.usajaguars.com/ViewArticl...&ATCLID=726792)

It's just four teams, one night long and the Cajuns could require fans to buy tickets to both games. It'd be easy to grab a sponsor, and with a one day doubleheader, there would be no worry of lackluster attendance to the second day, which afflicts most tournaments. Even better, bigger schools can come to Lafayette and bring their large fanbase, especially if the game is played on a weekend. And, the bigger schools, unlike the schools in the tournament in Hawai'i, would help raise the RPI of the Cajuns and the other opponents in the doubleheader.

The Cajuns vs Texas A&M and Rice vs LSU. The Cajuns don't have to play LSU, which they never should in any sport, and the fanbases of Texas A&M and LSU, along with the fans of the Cajuns, buy tons of tickets for both games and the money and publicity help the Cajuns.

One evening tournament in Lafayette would raise money for a basketball program that is having difficulty selling tickets under Robert Lee, would generate local interest, and would be more financially responsible than playing a three day tournament in Honolulu, Hawai'i around December.

Simply put, the tournament in Hawai'i is a waste of money. Money which could and should be spent on a one evening tournament held in Lafayette. _
    Hmmm, where to start??

First of all, Outrigger Hotels is the sponsor of the tournament. The team doesn't have to pay for the rooms, which are comped by Outrigger.

So this thing isn't nearly as expensive as you think. In addition, with a travelling party of roughly 25, the tickets aren't as expensive.

Secondly, before you dump on the RPI's of the teams, take a closer look. Every single team in the field had an RPI in the upper half of Division I last season. The teams in our side of the bracket all had RPI's between 98 and 124. The worst RPI team from last year would be St. Mary's at 154. None of these games are RPI killers, in fact, if you win some games, this tournament will really help the RPI.

Besides, with a team coming off a 9-21 season, it's much more important from an RPI standpoint to play teams where you have a chance to win. If you aren't challenging for a postseason at large bid, you're much better off from an RPI standpoint to play teams where you have a chance to win, rather than loading up with RPI games where you have no shot to win.

Your thought of a one-day four team tournament (which isn't a tournament, it's simply a doubleheader) as an idea for saving money is not cost efficient. Who do you think pays these teams to come to Lafayette? That's correct. We do. I don't think, unless LSU was here, that any school would bring the kind of fans that you think. And, don't think that Lafayette would come out in full force, either. Basketball attendance has never been good before Jan.1 in the modern era. Even Tennessee last year, a top 25 program, drew less than 5000 fans. Any such tournament, er, doubleheader, would have to be underwritten by a corportate sponsor, like the one at USA, which Coors Light sponsors.

Another poster is correct about Gradnigo. Many times a coach will agree to play in a certain area of the country to help in recruiting. The Cajuns will play at Utah Valley State in 08-09 because Elijah Millsap's family now lives in Utah.

Enjoyed reading your opinion. Don't know if these facts will change it somewhat, but I like the fact that you care.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

I read the original assertion that playing in the Rainbow Classic was a mistake, and didn't agree, but had no facts to back it up. Thanks BOP and others. It is nice to know that the cost is somewhat reasonable. It may be even more reasonable if a) we make a good showing, and b) the benefit it has on recruiting (did or will).

I also, however, like anyone putting their opinion "out there, on here" for a good debate. Expressing your ideas, thoughts, and "facts as you see them" are great. I hope everyone keeps doing so, even at the risk of being "countered".

Sure we need the best schedule (in all ways) that works for us... but, I like the attitude of playing anyone, anywhere, anytime and not hassling over their RPI or anything else. If you don't win, it's danged if you do and danged if you don't, no matter how you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I read the original assertion that playing in the Rainbow Classic was a mistake, and didn't agree, but had no facts to back it up. Thanks BOP and others. It is nice to know that the cost is somewhat reasonable. It may be even more reasonable if a) we make a good showing, and b) the benefit it has on recruiting (did or will).

I also, however, like anyone putting their opinion "out there, on here" for a good debate. Expressing your ideas, thoughts, and "facts as you see them" are great. I hope everyone keeps doing so, even at the risk of being "countered".

Sure we need the best schedule (in all ways) that works for us... but, I like the attitude of playing anyone, anywhere, anytime and not hassling over their RPI or anything else. If you don't win, it's danged if you do and danged if you don't, no matter how you slice it. _

I say we send them to a tournament on the French Riviera next season.

We are UL