_ _ _ _

Thread: UN

-noooooooooo!!!!!

Default UN

-noooooooooo!!!!!

UNO goes through there 2nd coach in as many years, first Monte Towe leaves for NC State now Buzz Williams leaves for Marquette.

http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2007/0...h_resigns.html

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: UN

-noooooooooo!!!!!

Yeah, it may take a few more years as the New Orleans area rebuilds before UNO, Tulane and other Universities around that area get back on their feet!

DaddyCajun

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: UN

-noooooooooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    _ Yeah, it may take a few more years as the New Orleans area rebuilds before UNO, Tulane and other Universities around that area get back on their feet!

DaddyCajun _
    To quote long time news anchor and newly created talk show host Garland Robinnet New Orleans may not be the Cresent City too much longer. His greatest fear is that it will become "The Sliver On The River."

IMO due to the abismal record of Baton Rouge in providing an adequet and timely plan for the Road Home, picking an inept deliverer of services New Orleans has become The Sliver On The River, and will take decades to rebound. Right now there are three major groups in New Orleans. Those who have many resources, those who have no resources, with a large number of drug gangs, and an army of illegal aliens who are at least working to put the natives city back together again. We all know many natives simply are waiting for somebody else to do the heavy lifting.

Default Re: UN

-noooooooooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    Those who have many resources, those who have no resources, with a large number of drug gangs, and an army of illegal aliens who are at least working to put the natives city back together again. We all know many natives simply are waiting for somebody else to do the heavy lifting. _
    So what you're saying is that, aside from some flooding, New Orleans is much like it always was...

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

-noooooooooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirogue
    So what you're saying is that, aside from some flooding, New Orleans is much like it always was...
    Man, not trying to pile on but I flew into N.O. to meet my wife last weekend. 1 terminal is almost completely shut down at MSY. I believe it house USAir only.

Canal street is definitely on the mend. Lakeview, is still struggling. They have that new pumping station just about complete, where Sid Mars use to be. There are a few new or rebuilt homes there, but you have blocks of abandoned homes with high weeds all around. Some of the streets can only be negotiated with a four wheel drive truck. The shopping ctr where the Robert E Lee was is totally abandoned. Buildings that were new just a few years ago housing chain restaurants were still vacant with for sale signs out in front...both Metairie and Kenner. Saenger theater, completely boarded up

This town/city will struggle for a while. I hope it does, but I will be amazed it ever makes a comeback.

Z.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

-noooooooooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    Man, not trying to pile on but I flew into N.O. to meet my wife last weekend. 1 terminal is almost completely shut down at MSY. I believe it house USAir only.

Z.
    Although Metarie/Kenner are not like they were before the storm, they are light years beyond where they were in September of 2005. I pay attention to that area as my wife's family is still there. Also, like it or not, that is where the middle class of the New Orleans area reside and they are the backbone of the economy. If those people do well, the area does well. As far as the city itself is concerned, I doubt the population will ever again exceed 250 thousand. I expect Lafayette Parish to be larger than Orleans Parish in the next census.

CajunsMike

-noooooooooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21

Canal street is definitely on the mend. Lakeview, is still struggling. They have that new pumping station just about complete, where Sid Mars use to be. There are a few new or rebuilt homes there, but you have blocks of abandoned homes with high weeds all around. Some of the streets can only be negotiated with a four wheel drive truck. The shopping ctr where the Robert E Lee was is totally abandoned. Buildings that were new just a few years ago housing chain restaurants were still vacant with for sale signs out in front...both Metairie and Kenner. Saenger theater, completely boarded up

This town/city will struggle for a while. I hope it does, but I will be amazed it ever makes a comeback.

Z.

If the levees are built back right and the coast is restored for protection against storm surge then New Orleans will be back.

Check this out about a storm (and its after effects) that narrowly missed hitting NO the year before Katrina.

http://blog.nola.com/updates/2007/07/shared_trauma.html

-noooooooooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    _ Although Metarie/Kenner are not like they were before the storm, they are light years beyond where they were in September of 2005. I pay attention to that area as my wife's family is still there.
    CajunsMike _
    I have family in New Orleans and I love the city. Here's an interesting take on some of what is happening there.

N.O. population skewing younger, says realtor
    12:39 PM CDT on Saturday, June 23, 2007
    Stacia Willson / Eyewitness News Reporter

Trends reported by a local real estate company show what could be a population shift in Orleans Parish. In fact, that information was used recently to draw in potential investors from around the country.

The Latter and Blum Real Estate Company, which has roughly a 20 percent share of the market in New Orleans, has tracked its sales from recent months and noticed a dramatic shift within the last 60 days: more people from out of state are moving into the city.

"I wouldn't call it a tidal wave of people, but certainly ripples of people from out of state moving back into certain areas of the city, which is very reassuring to see," said Arthur Sterbow, President of Latter and Blum Realtors

The numbers show a pretty strong ratio.

"What we're finding is that we're getting about two buyers moving into Greater Orleans Parish for about every buyer that's moving out of state," Sterbow said.

And those coming in seem to be a younger group. Realtors said before Katrina, the majority of people who moved to New Orleans were anywhere from 35 to 50-years-old.

Realtors said they've noticed the older generation has moved away from neighborhoods like Lakeview, Lakefront and Broadmoor, and younger people have moved back into those areas.

"Most of the folks who are moving in that we found from out of state are typically 25 to 42 years of age, that seems to be a pretty broad profile of the kind of buyer we're getting in, younger than what we've previously saw," Sterbow said.

John Alford, a Harvard graduate, moved to New Orleans from Brooklyn a year ago. He's preparing to open a new charter school in Gentilly.

"New Orleans is leading the country in terms of charter school growth and highest potential of charter school growth in the country and since the storm there's tremendous need to start new schools," Alford said.

Bay Area native Miji Park moved to New Orleans 13 months ago. She works for a non-profit company called 'Idea Village,' which focuses on helping potential companies develop, but said that was not why she moved here.

"You can feel the history of the place, you can feel it through the architecture and the atmosphere, and that's what first drew me to move to New Orleans," she said.

Both she and Alford feel the drawbacks from living in a recovering city are few and far between.

"I'd say it's livable. Potholes are a little tough, but everything else is good," Alford said