Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 92

Thread: 2007: LA colleges about to hit paydirt.

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,570

    This is so COOL Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by locoguano
    _ What a moron... _
    Is dat a coconut macaroon? I love those with milk.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Someone on this board wanted to know who was on the Board of Regents finnance Committee and where they graduated college:

    Finance Committee Members for 2007


    Committee Member Graduated

    Scott O. Brame LSU
    Artis Terrell, Jr. UL (Monroe)
    Richard E. D'Aquin LSU
    W. Clinton "Bubba" Rasberry, Jr. Vanderbilt/Post Graduate LSU
    William Clifford Smith LSU
    Victor T Stelly McNeese
    Harold M. Stokes UC Irvine
    Roland M. Toups Georgia Tech/list LSU civic org.


    Hell

    there's nothing here to worry about, what do you think


  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,570

    This is so COOL Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by Digger
    _ Someone on this board wanted to know who was on the Board of Regents finnance Committee and where they graduated college:

    Finance Committee Members for 2007


    Committee Member Graduated

    Scott O. Brame LSU
    Artis Terrell, Jr. UL (Monroe)
    Richard E. D'Aquin LSU
    W. Clinton "Bubba" Rasberry, Jr. Vanderbilt/Post Graduate LSU
    William Clifford Smith LSU
    Victor T Stelly McNeese
    Harold M. Stokes UC Irvine
    Roland M. Toups Georgia Tech/list LSU civic org.


    Hell

    there's nothing here to worry about, what do you think _

    What me worry?

    Everything will be alright.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    16,337
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by am4titansandlsu
    _ You guys have a serious inferiority complex. You never will be LSU or as big as us.
    Those 2 sentences never have and never will fit together. Yet they continue to pop up all over the web.

    What they do accomplish is this, they speak unwritten intent volumes while the 2nd cancels out the 1st.

    jmo

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Way too far from the beach
    Posts
    3,064

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    Mais cher I know what am_eye optic is. He is a eye doctor, his name is Dr. Alphonse on Bayou Blue. An m_eye seen him eyeing up his young nurse.
    We see we got a new case of purple chou-pic on dis' board.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by Digger
    Someone on this board wanted to know who was on the Board of Regents finnance Committee and where they graduated college:

    Finance Committee Members for 2007


    Committee Member Graduated

    Scott O. Brame LSU
    Artis Terrell, Jr. UL (Monroe)
    Richard E. D'Aquin LSU
    W. Clinton "Bubba" Rasberry, Jr. Vanderbilt/Post Graduate LSU
    William Clifford Smith LSU
    Victor T Stelly McNeese
    Harold M. Stokes UC Irvine
    Roland M. Toups Georgia Tech/list LSU civic org.


    Hell

    there's nothing here to worry about, what do you think

    Vic Stelly graduated from Northwestern St. and received his M.ed. from LSU (not McNeese)

    You also forgot to mention Dr. E. Joseph Savoie, the Commisioner of Higher Education in Louisiana, who received his B.A., M.ed. from the University of Louisiana Lafayette.

    I personally think the BoR wanted to take a longer look at the issues to satisfy the "nay-sayers" on the board. The cap ex ceiling was lowered in 1981 because the State of Louisiana was in a financial crisis and the oil industry was peaked and starting the beginning of its downslide drastically affecting revenues for the state.

    That is not the case today, and the BoR needs to find a new formula for funding the ULS athletics system and increase the cap ex. I hope that is the reason that they decided to meet in July rather than August.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, TX
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by locoguano
    _ UL is (or should be) the flagship of the UL system
    1. UL isn't.
    2. The ULS doesn't need nor will they ever have a flagship.

    I am not real sure why you assume UL "should be" in the first place. Just about every school in the ULS has a degree or two that is tops...and not one having a monopoly.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Old Jef erson...
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by TxDemon
    1. UL isn't.
    2. The ULS doesn't need nor will they ever have a flagship.

    I am not real sure why you assume UL "should be" in the first place. Just about every school in the ULS has a degree or two that is tops...and not one having a monopoly.
    Size... Most degree programs.. Highest national academic standing... etc...

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, TX
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by locoguano
    _ Size... Most degree programs.. Highest national academic standing... etc... _
    Hmmm...I think I'll pass.

    I think if the ULS had a flagship it would be a slap in the face to the rest of the schools in the system. Making UL flagship would be a slap in the face to LaTech because of their engineering degrees. UL-M is the only school to have a professional school in Pharmacy and Northwestern has the strongest Music Dept. in the system. It would be a slap in in the face to the people who have worked hard to get their respective programs at the level they currently are.

    And the thing about these national ratings that I will never like is the fact that they take into account everything except for what is happening in the classroom.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,570

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by TxDemon
    _ Hmmm...I think I'll pass.

    NSU has the strongest/biggest Music Dept. in the ULS, therefore they are the "flagship" in that dept., right? Well I think they are...

    For being such a strong opponent to LSU being the flagship of the state you sure are quick to nominate your own school for flagship status. A little hypocritical, huh? _
    I think the vast majority of UL fans and alumni do not see us as a flagship candidate. In fact I think the term is an absurd insult to the school wearing it let alone those who have to keel and face Refineryville AKA FOOTBALL MECA. In any case UL is not asking that other schools accept less so we can get more as is the case with the STATE FLAGSHI (T)P.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    863

    Default I don't know if it has been posted yet.....

    but I picked this up on the MSU board.

    Link:
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...06/1001/SPORTS


  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Up
    _ Vic Stelly graduated from Northwestern St. and received his M.ed. from LSU (not McNeese)

    You also forgot to mention Dr. E. Joseph Savoie, the Commisioner of Higher Education in Louisiana, who received his B.A., M.ed. from the University of Louisiana Lafayette.

    I personally think the BoR wanted to take a longer look at the issues to satisfy the "nay-sayers" on the board. The cap ex ceiling was lowered in 1981 because the State of Louisiana was in a financial crisis and the oil industry was peaked and starting the beginning of its downslide drastically affecting revenues for the state.

    That is not the case today, and the BoR needs to find a new formula for funding the ULS athletics system and increase the cap ex. I hope that is the reason that they decided to meet in July rather than August. _



    According to my information Dr. Savoie is not on the finance committee, they list eight members. I believe all committee have eight members only. I revisited Mr. Stelly's bio and he is listed as graduating high school from Broadmoor high in Baton Rouge, and Mc Neese State in Lake Charles. There is no reference to recieving a Master's from LSU. But if he did receive his Master's from LSU that would mean five of the eight members have an LSU background, with one listing LSU as a civic group that he is associated with. Given the way LSU and the State operates (UL name change) i'm not brimming with confidence. It will be interesting to how this thing work's out.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by Digger
    According to my information Dr. Savoie is not on the finance committee, they list eight members. I believe all committee have eight members only. I revisited Mr. Stelly's bio and he is listed as graduating high school from Broadmoor high in Baton Rouge, and Mc Neese State in Lake Charles. There is no reference to recieving a Master's from LSU. But if he did receive his Master's from LSU that would mean five of the eight members have an LSU background, with one listing LSU as a civic group that he is associated with. Given the way LSU and the State operates (UL name change) i'm not brimming with confidence. It will be interesting to how this thing work's out.
    http://www.regents.state.la.us/Board/stelly.htm (my source for Vic Stelly)

    http://www.regents.state.la.us/pdfs/Finance/finminutes/2007/AppendixI-6-27-07.pdf (Appendix I)

    My sources tell me that the BoR never intended to push the Cap Ex through in this "special session" but they wanted it on the agenda. KBB will have enough bills to sign and with her line item veto the BoR just didn't want to risk it coming under the pen. Dr. Savoie is behind this and wants it to happen and actually spoke before the Board of Regents. Under a motion from Regent Toups and seconded by Regent Raspberry, Appendix I which I have attached was delayed so as to have more time to review.

    I think it's going to happen, Digger. All the schools under the ULS system desperately need the added funding and it makes no sense to continue the insanity under these prosperous times.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,653

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Thats good news, if this doesnt pass then we have a concrete idea that this is motivated the way most of us think it is. Time to push this through.


  15. #75

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Honestly, I hope UL-L gets more money for their university so that they can be a successful university. I make no secret that I'm an LSU supporter and donor, and I WANT UL-L to be a stronger institution.

    However, if UL-L wants to place a priority on its athletics program and succeed in that arena, they shouldn't be looking for ways to send more state funds in that direction as its primary method of moving forward.

    If UL-L is serious about improving its athletic program, they need to take a cue from schools like LSU (yes, LSU) and Florida... and start demanding more from their alumni when it comes to supporting athletics. UL-L needs to start requiring donations from season ticket holders in all sports and needs to begin a process of increasing ticket prices across the board. UL-L also needs to be a lot more aggressive in pursuing corporate sponsorship of its athletic program. With the extra money generated from the scores of UL-L fans who will respond to the call to action, UL-L can start upgrading its facilities one by one until it has an athletic complex capable of pulling in the best athletes and coaches. It will take a lot more money to do this than the state can provide.

    LSU knows this. No state money is used in funding LSU's athletic department. LSU is one of only 22 athletic departments nationwide that turns a profit and is entirely self-sustaining. In fact... it returns money to LSU's academic operations every year.

    Now... if you think UL-L can't do this... or if you're unwilling to pay a $300 to $500 surcharge on your season tickets to boost UL-L athletics, then perhaps you need to rethink your priorities... because that's what it takes to be a top-tier athletic program in the NCAA. NO to handouts from the state... YES to taking more individual responsibility and ownership in funding your program.

    Success in the academic AND athletic arenas begins and ends with private and personal donations to the university from alumni and supporters. Period.

    Two more things I'd like to address with regard to secondary topics brought up in this thread:

    A lot of you seem confused as to the concept of the Flagship University. Being the state's flagship doesn't mean LSU gets everything at the expense of everyone else. Being the flagship simply means that LSU gets the share it deserves for its importance in relation to the future of Louisiana. LSU has a role in this state. Its primary role is to provide an opportunity for the highest-achieving students in our state to get an education. Its role is not to provide any Louisiana student an opportunity at higher education. That's the role of the smaller colleges and universities in Louisiana. Its secondary role is to serve as an economic engine for the state of Louisiana, by training its future skilled, specialized and professional workers and providing research to industry. Its third role is to be the state's main ambassadorial institution in higher education, inviting faculty and students from other states to come into Louisiana to share their ideas and take ideas from us to other places. That's the role of a Flagship university for Louisiana. We LSU folks honestly don't care what share of the pie UL-L gets, so long as we get our full share... which is what we require and deserve to operate as we do as Louisiana's flagship.

    You're kidding yourself if you believe Louisiana would be better off without LSU as its flagship. LSU isn't just going to fall off the planet or lessen in stature. It's not happening. In fact, LSU is growing stronger every day.

    Secondly, I see a lot of you emphasizing the "A&M" after LSU, as though it's somehow hurtful or distracting to an LSU alum to see "LSU A&M" in writing. Just so you know, it's not. I don't know of any LSU alum who is troubled by the designation "LSU A&M." In fact, feel free to refer to LSU as Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College at Baton Rouge as often as you like. That's the name of our univeristy and we are proud of it. After all... it's the longest university name in the world. I'm 100% behind the idea of calling our universities by their FULL AND PROPER NAMES.


  16. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Youngsville
    Posts
    4,587

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by SpqrTiger
    _ Honestly, I hope UL-L gets more money for their university so that they can be a successful university. I make no secret that I'm an LSU supporter and donor, and I WANT UL-L to be a stronger institution.

    However, if UL-L wants to place a priority on its athletics program and succeed in that arena, they shouldn't be looking for ways to send more state funds in that direction as its primary method of moving forward.

    If UL-L is serious about improving its athletic program, they need to take a cue from schools like LSU (yes, LSU) and Florida... and start demanding more from their alumni when it comes to supporting athletics. UL-L needs to start requiring donations from season ticket holders in all sports and needs to begin a process of increasing ticket prices across the board. UL-L also needs to be a lot more aggressive in pursuing corporate sponsorship of its athletic program. With the extra money generated from the scores of UL-L fans who will respond to the call to action, UL-L can start upgrading its facilities one by one until it has an athletic complex capable of pulling in the best athletes and coaches. It will take a lot more money to do this than the state can provide.

    LSU knows this. No state money is used in funding LSU's athletic department. LSU is one of only 22 athletic departments nationwide that turns a profit and is entirely self-sustaining. In fact... it returns money to LSU's academic operations every year.

    Now... if you think UL-L can't do this... or if you're unwilling to pay a $300 to $500 surcharge on your season tickets to boost UL-L athletics, then perhaps you need to rethink your priorities... because that's what it takes to be a top-tier athletic program in the NCAA. NO to handouts from the state... YES to taking more individual responsibility and ownership in funding your program.

    Success in the academic AND athletic arenas begins and ends with private and personal donations to the university from alumni and supporters. Period.

    Two more things I'd like to address with regard to secondary topics brought up in this thread:

    A lot of you seem confused as to the concept of the Flagship University. Being the state's flagship doesn't mean LSU gets everything at the expense of everyone else. Being the flagship simply means that LSU gets the share it deserves for its importance in relation to the future of Louisiana. LSU has a role in this state. Its primary role is to provide an opportunity for the highest-achieving students in our state to get an education. Its role is not to provide any Louisiana student an opportunity at higher education. That's the role of the smaller colleges and universities in Louisiana. Its secondary role is to serve as an economic engine for the state of Louisiana, by training its future skilled, specialized and professional workers and providing research to industry. Its third role is to be the state's main ambassadorial institution in higher education, inviting faculty and students from other states to come into Louisiana to share their ideas and take ideas from us to other places. That's the role of a Flagship university for Louisiana. We LSU folks honestly don't care what share of the pie UL-L gets, so long as we get our full share... which is what we require and deserve to operate as we do as Louisiana's flagship.

    You're kidding yourself if you believe Louisiana would be better off without LSU as its flagship. LSU isn't just going to fall off the planet or lessen in stature. It's not happening. In fact, LSU is growing stronger every day.

    Secondly, I see a lot of you emphasizing the "A&M" after LSU, as though it's somehow hurtful or distracting to an LSU alum to see "LSU A&M" in writing. Just so you know, it's not. I don't know of any LSU alum who is troubled by the designation "LSU A&M." In fact, feel free to refer to LSU as Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College at Baton Rouge as often as you like. That's the name of our univeristy and we are proud of it. After all... it's the longest university name in the world. I'm 100% behind the idea of calling our universities by their FULL AND PROPER NAMES. _
    Myself and others on this board do not want to see LSU not as the flagship. What we want is for this state to take higher education more seriously. Every other school in this state is underfunded while LSU continues to recieve more and more money that is fact. Should UL or ULM or McNeese get more money than LSU no because LSU is the biggest school in the state but should UL get more money than it does now YES.

    About athletics I would love to be funded fully by private donations but at thsi time it isn't going to happen. It doesn't seem a little funny to you that the lowest three athletic budgets in the country are in LA. (LA Tech, ULM, and UL) More needs to be done on the private side I will admit that but the money that UL can recieve from the state would go a long way for the future of the program so that 10-20 years from now those state funds are not needed.

  17. #77
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by SpqrTiger
    __
    Thanks for wanting UL to "have more money". But, I think you are a little misguided in your understanding of how state money seeds private money. All of the dollars that the state has historically bestowed upon LSU is what built the engine for private fund generation today. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that formula out. LSU alumni and fans didn't build that engine. The state did. The alumni and a huge number of bumper sticker fans have just been paying hugely to get a ride on and be seen with that engine ever since.

    Conversely, the lack of state money required to seed a scaled down version of that type of engine for anyone else has been cleverly denied.

    The one thing I will totally admit to is that if UL wants something, it will have to be seeded, watered and grown by its own private means. State funding increases will continue to be battled for, but in reality, there is a political machine that will never acquiesce to anyone other than LSU.

  18. #78
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More
    Thanks for wanting UL to "have more money". But, I think you are a little misguided in your understanding of how state money seeds private money. All of the dollars that the state has historically bestowed upon LSU is what built the engine for private fund generation today. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that formula out. LSU alumni and fans didn't build that engine. The state did. The alumni and a huge number of bumper sticker fans have just been paying hugely to get a ride on and be seen with that engine ever since.

    Conversely, the lack of state money required to seed a scaled down version of that type of engine for anyone else has been cleverly denied.

    The one thing I will totally admit to is that if UL wants something, it will have to be seeded, watered and grown by its own private means. State funding increases will continue to be battled for, but in reality, there is a political machine that will never acquiesce to anyone other than LSU.
    Excellent post J1M! Now repost in words and terms he/she can understand.

    Thanks,

    Z.

  19. #79

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    We are taking great steps to becoming a top notch academic school with little to no money thanks to LSWHO. Imagine what we would be if they weren;t holding us back. LSU is a greedy school, but don't underestimate us! We have done very well with little to nothing.


  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lafayette La
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Up
    _ http://www.regents.state.la.us/Board/stelly.htm (my source for Vic Stelly)

    http://www.regents.state.la.us/pdfs/Finance/finminutes/2007/AppendixI-6-27-07.pdf (Appendix I)

    My sources tell me that the BoR never intended to push the Cap Ex through in this "special session" but they wanted it on the agenda. KBB will have enough bills to sign and with her line item veto the BoR just didn't want to risk it coming under the pen. Dr. Savoie is behind this and wants it to happen and actually spoke before the Board of Regents. Under a motion from Regent Toups and seconded by Regent Raspberry, Appendix I which I have attached was delayed so as to have more time to review.

    I think it's going to happen, Digger. All the schools under the ULS system desperately need the added funding and it makes no sense to continue the insanity under these prosperous times. _
    Sorry Cowboy it had nothing to do with a KBB Veto trust me. It also had nothing to do with LSU pressure (this flew way under the Radar) unfortunately now it is being scrutinized by LSU pundits but from what I've been told the votes are changing. What really happened is that the formula for the change was written by one of the Athletic Directors, one with an MBA, it was a little difficult for a few of the finance committee members to grasp. After they really broke it down it is very workable. BOP was right about it not being an LSU road block; although it stinks of Mike V's carcass he is right. Don't be shocked if the change happens.

    By the way I heard that there getting Mike VI from the Tiger Truck stop in Grosse Tete. Which I think is great it will be an upgrade from his current living conditions. (Rumor )

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •