Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2007: LA colleges about to hit paydirt.

Alumni Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat
    _ I have no idea how the committee is put together, but it makes me wonder if the committee is set up like the group that's been fighting UL's name change. How many LSU alumni are on the State of Louisiana Board of Regents' Finance Committee? If it goes through, then I can assume that it's not a biased decision.

Just a thought. I may be way off base. _
    Your thoughts are dead on, seven of the eight have their core loyalty to LSU either though being an alumnus, marrying into LSU, or being an open LSU supporter.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Funding proposal shot down

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    _
    This really stinks. You would think that all the state colleges want this to pass. They say it could pass later this summer so keep hope alive. Zeebart I would think you would be more optimistic. Maybe try the green apple kool aid? _
    Here is the deal 90. The money is already budgeted to the universities, the athletic proposal was not additional money, only limited independence on allocation of the entire budget. Say UL, numbers are for illustrative purpose only, had a budget of 100 million, and now will be budgeted for 130 million. UL has the money and that money will be allocated into the university. The budget set up for the 2007-08 year is is NOW, not August when this issue is reviewed. Say they then OK it in August, next June say the budget grew for inflation and organic growth to 140 million? I assure you the university will have a heck of a lot of trouble from within to get those three million back to the athletic department.

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    _ Your thoughts are dead on, seven of the eight have their core loyalty to LSU either though being an alumnus, marrying into LSU, or being an open LSU supporter. _
    This is going to break a lot of your hearts.

This was NOT an LSU plot.

This is so COOL Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    _ This is going to break a lot of your hearts.

This was NOT an LSU plot. _
    Be that as it may, there really is a need for diversity when it comes to the governing board of all public universities in this state. My personal preference would be people who have their loyalties as follows, ULS 4 , Southern 1 , and LSU 3.

Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!!

What I want to know, is how did this get into the newspaper and get so publicized when I've been told that everybody (the U of L presidents, etc) knew that it needed to be done "under the radar" with as little publicity as possible?

Doc

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72
    _ What I want to know, is how did this get into the newspaper and get so publicized when I've been told that everybody (the U of L presidents, etc) knew that it needed to be done "under the radar" with as little publicity as possible?

Doc _
    The Lafayette Advertiser did its due diligence and reported the meeting. The media is not beholden to any one entity.

_ The Lafayette Advertiser did its due diligence and reported the meeting. The media is not beholden to any one entity. _
    Thanks for all the pub, then. NOT !!!

Doc

The day Louisiana actually begins caring about higher education, we'll be able to drive from around the entire state without hitting one single pothole. Neither of these things are going to happen anytime soon. This state so far below what a good state should be, I don't know if we'll see any significant change in our lifetime. The Louisiana that we all know and love is a result of the Louisiana mentality. If we want things to change, we have to change the mentality of this state, its leaders and residents. Okay, ready, set, GO!

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Well, why did it fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    _ we have an athletic director....?

Z. _
    Wanna borrow one for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by HOTBOUDIN
    _ Well, why did it fail? _
    I also would like to know the real reason for the committee's action or non action. BOP, how can you be so sure the LSU "people" were not involved? This is so disapointing. We are tremendously under funded in athletics. It's a tribute to the Coaches, Staff, and Admistration that we can compete the way we do.

12. Support It's not over yet

BATON ROUGE - College athletic departments across Louisiana hoping for more funds from the state budget in 2008 are still in the game.

The Board of Regents on Thursday decided to call a special meeting of the executive committee in the second or third week of July to approve or vote down a proposal that would significantly increase athletic budgets at state schools like UL, UL-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, Grambling and Northwestern State.

At UL, for example, the proposal would increase the ceiling of state support from $3.16 million a year to $5.46 million. Louisiana Tech and ULM would get similar additional amounts of dollars. Such a boost could push UL's athletic department budget from the $8 million range to the neighborhood of $10.5 million.

"We are desperately in need of the additional money," UL athletic director David Walker said Thursday. "We are very appreciative of the Board deciding to defer a decision on it in July."
    On Wednesday, the Regents' finance committee did not approve the proposal as UL officials had expected and voted to delay any decision on it until their next meeting, which is scheduled for Aug. 23.

The rest of the story

Glenn Guilbeau
    gguilbeau@gannett.com

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

With all due respect, anyone who does not think there is an LSU element to this debate is either foolish, naive... or both.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed
    _ With all due respect, anyone who does not think there is an LSU element to this debate is either foolish, naive... or both. _
    What I believe, and what I am willing to give a little benefit of the doubt to are two different things. IMO there may be a shred of truth to their excuse.

There is also the specter of KBB loading up the budge to create a financial nightmare for the next governor. Naw, she would never do something like that?

I know that there has been a huge amount of criticism about pork barrel projects when the state is looking for more money form Uncle Sam to fully fund what Uncle Sam should do with regards to the Road Home Money. The cause of this loss was not a hurricane, but a failed Army Corps of Engineers plan and construction. But regardless Louisiana will not get that money if congress can find any excuse to say we are blowing money we already have.

Deferring action will IMO provide enemies of the ULS plenty of time to marshall their allies. Unfortunately for ULS it is a lose, lose situation.

Physically BR, but mentally on the beaches of St.John

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU
    _ I also would like to know the real reason for the committee's action or non action.
    If what was in the paper is a good account how this issue was brought to the committee's attention, a better question would be...."why did those seeking this change wait till the day before the vote to present the change to the committee???" Couldn't that move be seen as a "plot" as well???

Personally, I don't have a dog in this hunt. The powers that be at the state schools want dedicated funding for sports in the budget or student fees, that's their business. But if I'm sitting on that committee and if things came down as described, I'm not gonna be happy some choose to spring this on me one day and asking me to vote the next. Putting the vote off doesn't seem that abnormal of a thing to do and doesn't seem to indicate a "plot" is at work, but each to our own.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU
    _ If what was in the paper is a good account how this issue was brought to the committee's attention, a better question would be...."why did those seeking this change wait till the day before the vote to present the change to the committee???" Couldn't that move be seen as a "plot" as well???

Personally, I don't have a dog in this hunt. The powers that be at the state schools want dedicated funding for sports in the budget or student fees, that's their business. But if I'm sitting on that committee and if things came down as described, I'm not gonna be happy some choose to spring this on me one day and asking me to vote the next. Putting the vote off doesn't seem that abnormal of a thing to do and doesn't seem to indicate a "plot" is at work, but each to our own. _
    If you believe that they were caught off guard you need to by my title to the Crescent City Connection. I collect $80,000.00 a day from the tolls, but the guy I bought it from said I won't get the money until 2010.

Physically BR, but mentally on the beaches of St.John

_ If you believe that they were caught off guard you need to by my title to the Crescent City Connection. I collect $80,000.00 a day from the tolls, but the guy I bought it from said I won't get the money until 2010. _
    I'm assuming most on the committee have real jobs and real lives to live and are not immersing themselves in issues not on their committee plate yet, but hey....you might be right. I can only go by what I read. I don't have inside info on the working of this committee or any others. If you see plot, you see plot.

NCAA Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt

_ If you believe that they were caught off guard you need to by my title to the Crescent City Connection. I collect $80,000.00 a day from the tolls, but the guy I bought it from said I won't get the money until 2010. _
    >>>> #25 Yesterday, 02:47 pm
    McNeese72
    Bring on the Cajuns Join Date: Jan 2007

Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!!

What I want to know, is how did this get into the newspaper and get so publicized when I've been told that everybody (the U of L presidents, etc) knew that it needed to be done "under the radar" with as little publicity as possible?

Doc<<<<

Somehow, I believe that even if this so called proposal would have passed "under the radar", certain folks would still go out of their way to say that it was the fault of LSU that the cajuns didn't get that extra penny. The obsession with LSU is beyond explanation. At least Jay can see beyond the rose colored glasses and call a spade a spade. It is very possible that sometimes things aren't always done on the "honest side" in lafayette! But even then, it will still be the fault of LSU. With all of the ranting about this latest "failed attempt", it is obvious that jealousy, envy, and hatred run wild in lafayette with no sense of direction or PROOF!!

Very intersting that this "proposal" was supposed to fly under the radar!! What about the taxpayer that foots the bill for this mess? Doesn't he have a RIGHT to know about such "under the radar proposals"? Kind of reminds me of some "back door/under the table" dealings once upon a time!!!! The taxpayer is footing the bill for this and SHOULD know about it!!!!

Somehow, I believe that even if this so called proposal would have passed "under the radar", certain folks would still go out of their way to say that it was the fault of LSU that the cajuns didn't get that extra penny. The obsession with LSU is beyond explanation. At least Jay can see beyond the rose colored glasses and call a spade a spade. It is very possible that sometimes things aren't always done on the "honest side" in lafayette! But even then, it will still be the fault of LSU. With all of the ranting about this latest "failed attempt", it is obvious that jealousy, envy, and hatred run wild in lafayette with no sense of direction or PROOF!!

Thanks Jay!! At least you can see past all of the "BS" that some want to fling. It is what it is and no matter how you slice it it would have been all the fault of LSU. Instead of worrying about our own and what we have, it's always about what is going east of the Mississippi. It's a real shame that a school in Baton Rouge can rule/ruin the minds and even days of some folks around here. They are just too "ate up with LSU" to even know they're hurting the cajuns even more.

Great show in the afternoons by the way. Keep up the good work!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast