Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 2007: LA colleges about to hit paydirt.

Default Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

Quote Originally Posted by SpqrTiger
    _... No state money is used in funding LSU's athletic department. LSU is one of only 22 athletic departments nationwide that turns a profit and is entirely self-sustaining. In fact... it returns money to LSU's academic operations every year.

Now... if you think UL-L can't do this... or if you're unwilling to pay a $300 to $500 surcharge on your season tickets to boost UL-L athletics, then perhaps you need to rethink your priorities... because that's what it takes to be a top-tier athletic program in the NCAA. NO to handouts from the state... YES to taking more individual responsibility and ownership in funding your program.
    Since there are over 100 D1A programs, I guess the fact that only 22 programs are profitable kind of points out the flaw in the system. According to your theory, only those who can "be profitable" should be able to compete at the the top level (or else they should "rethink their priorities"). What about those BCS conference teams that are not profitable? Should they rethink their priorities as well? Perhaps re-form the "elite 22" into 2 or 3 "Superconferences"? Maybe really make them into a true NFL minor league system and forget the farce of college as being about "student-athletes". That's seems to be the direction you are aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    _ Since there are over 100 D1A programs, I guess the fact that only 22 programs are profitable kind of points out the flaw in the system. According to your theory, only those who can "be profitable" should be able to compete at the the top level (or else they should "rethink their priorities"). What about those BCS conference teams that are not profitable? Should they rethink their priorities as well? Perhaps re-form the "elite 22" into 2 or 3 "Superconferences"? Maybe really make them into a true NFL minor league system and forget the farce of college as being about "student-athletes". That's seems to be the direction you are aiming for. _
    I know that this is certainly a step in the right direction, but this is by no means the same as adding student fees, which is what most of us have wanted all along. This is just a reallocation of the state monies. They are only allowing the schools to put a little more towards sports. Nothing that i have read has shown that student fees will be allowed after/if this passes. I understand that if UL inacted a student activity fee or something right now, that it likely wouldn't add up to what this increase will add up to, but, in the future, the addition of both could be huge.

This is so COOL Re: LA colleges about to hit paydirt. NOT !!! YET

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    _ I know that this is certainly a step in the right direction, but this is by no means the same as adding student fees, which is what most of us have wanted all along. This is just a reallocation of the state monies. They are only allowing the schools to put a little more towards sports. Nothing that i have read has shown that student fees will be allowed after/if this passes. I understand that if UL inacted a student activity fee or something right now, that it likely wouldn't add up to what this increase will add up to, but, in the future, the addition of both could be huge. _
    What is good about this proposal is that growth of the university and inflation would add to the available money each year. This is a good base to build a fan base Ragin'Cajun Club that can then support the programs better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaintsfan
    Sorry Cowboy it had nothing to do with a KBB Veto trust me. It also had nothing to do with LSU pressure (this flew way under the Radar) unfortunately now it is being scrutinized by LSU pundits but from what I’ve been told the votes are changing. What really happened is that the formula for the change was written by one of the Athletic Directors, one with an MBA, it was a little difficult for a few of the finance committee members to grasp. After they really broke it down it is very workable. BOP was right about it not being an LSU road block; although it stinks of Mike V’s carcass he is right. Don’t be shocked if the change happens.

By the way I heard that there getting Mike VI from the Tiger Truck stop in Grosse Tete. Which I think is great it will be an upgrade from his current living conditions. (Rumor )
    Thanks! What this state needs is a viable, strong university system apart from LSU. It has nothing to do with LSU envy but has a lot to do with fairness and a university's ability with its alumni bases to determine it's own fate. That is not happening and it has to change. I can tell you the boosters at McNeese are vocal and vocal with our state reps. I hope they understand we mean business and all the way to the ballot box.

An outsider looking in would just laugh at the Banana Republic we live in. It is a travesty, but we need to all keep working together as well as hard for change. Change creates a lot of mental and physical fatigue. And what did Coach Lombardi say....??

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

If we don't all hang together, we will all hang separately and at the hands of Louisiana Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Up
    _ Thanks! What this state needs is a viable, strong university system apart from LSU. It has nothing to do with with LSU envy but has a lot to do with fairness and a university's ability with its alumni bases to determine it's own fate. That is not happening and it has to change. I can tell you the boosters at McNeese are vocal and vocal with our state reps. I hope they understand we mean business and all the way to the ballot box.

An outsider looking in would just laugh at the Banana Republic we live in. It is a travesty, but we need to all keep working together as well as hard for change. Change creates a lot of mental and physical fatigue. And what did Coach Lombardi say....??

If we don't all hang together, we will all hang separately and at the hands of Louisiana Politics. _
    Well done

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Up
    _ Thanks! What this state needs is a viable, strong university system apart from LSU. It has nothing to do with with LSU envy but has a lot to do with fairness and a university's ability with its alumni bases to determine it's own fate. That is not happening and it has to change. I can tell you the boosters at McNeese are vocal and vocal with our state reps. I hope they understand we mean business and all the way to the ballot box.

If we don't all hang together, we will all hang separately and at the hands of Louisiana Politics. _
    good post

7. Support Restrictions eased on athletic funding

When the athletics policy debate was deferred at a Regents meeting last month, Toups questioned the appearance of approving more athletics money just as the legislative session was ending.

But after reviewing the numbers, Toups and other Regents said they agree fewer restrictions on athletics are necessary to allow them to compete.

8. Support Re: Restrictions eased on athletic funding

The changes can affect all public universities and even community colleges in Louisiana, but not LSU's flagship campus, which has the state's only self-sustaining athletics budget.

ULL President Ray Authement, who spearheaded the policy change, said it is the "perfect time" now that universities are better funded.

Authement cited a "Sports Illustrated" report that described 22 self-sustaining athletics programs nationally.

The very bottom of the "have-nots" included ULL, Louisiana Tech University and the University of Louisiana at Monroe, which was dead last nationally in Division 1A sports funding.

UL and ULM cannot compete on an even level with their peers in the Sun Belt Conference, Authement said.

The rest of the story

By JORDAN BLUM
    Advocate Capitol News Bureau

Default Re: Restrictions eased on athletic funding

$1.4M increase this year, and another $.9M increase next year. By the end of the next fiscal year (08-09) our athletic budget will have increased $2.4M. I'll allow it. Its free money. I wonder if Gerald Hebert is happy about this.

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: Restrictions eased on athletic funding

I am sure he is and is NOT alone!!!

Now we know the money is coming we should be really cranking out the ads for Football season tickets and having the coaches, cheer leaders, and players call past season ticket holders, ticket holders from any sport, etc.

All current season ticket holders need to call friends and family to get them onboard, etc.

DaddyCajun

ps If you call and I do not answer it is because I am on the phone trying to get the Acadiana area fans in the stands!!!

11. Support Regents OK funding increase

It took two weeks longer than anticipated, but Louisiana's college athletics departments breathed a sigh of relief Monday when the State of Louisiana Board of Regents sent them a present to start the budget year.

The Board's executive committee passed a proposal Monday that allows state schools to aim more of their budgets toward athletic programs, giving those schools a chance to be more financially competitive with out-of-state conference and regional rivals.

The two-part proposal could have an eventual impact of approximately $2.3 million annually on the UL athletic budget, with the initial increase phased in over a two-year period. Its passage comes during a period when state schools are finalizing budgets for the 2007-08 fiscal year.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Since there are over 100 D1A programs, I guess the fact that only 22 programs are profitable kind of points out the flaw in the system. According to your theory, only those who can "be profitable" should be able to compete at the the top level (or else they should "rethink their priorities"). What about those BCS conference teams that are not profitable? Should they rethink their priorities as well? Perhaps re-form the "elite 22" into 2 or 3 "Superconferences"? Maybe really make them into a true NFL minor league system and forget the farce of college as being about "student-athletes". That's seems to be the direction you are aiming for.
    What a call.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5