Thread: 25-mile hiking (cross-country) trail could connect 3 Parishes

1. Endurance Training 25-mile hiking (cross-country) trail could connect 3 Parishes

The proposal for a 25-mile hiking, running and biking trail that would connect Lafayette, Breaux Bridge and St. Martinville was approved by a Planning Commission subcommittee on Wednesday.

Named the Atakapas-Ishak Trail after a southwest Louisiana branch of American Indians, the trail would include signs and artifacts to educate people about the tribe's history.

The trail's design could include paved shoulders and a bike lane on the road, and 10-foot-wide asphalt sidewalks beside the road for biking and walking.

The rest of the story

Bob Moser
    bmoser@theadvertiser.com

2. Default Trail backers push forward

A proposed 25-mile hiking, running and biking trail that would connect Lafayette, Breaux Bridge and St. Martinville had Rick Swanson's support Saturday night, along with countless other citizens shown a map of the project during Art Walk on Jefferson Street.

"I've traveled all around the country, and cities a fraction the size of Lafayette have significant park land and open space," said Swanson, a political science professor at UL. "This would be a huge draw for us. We have all the other pieces like jobs, shopping, but we don't have the parks and recreation here."

Plans and vision are in place for the proposed Atakapas-Ishak Trail, named after a southwest Louisiana branch of Native Americans. It started moving through ranks of the parish planning process in June.

The rest of the story

Bob Moser
    bmoser@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Trail backers push forward

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    I sure would like to see this happen. When I worked in the City of Lafayette Planning Dept. (WAAAAAY before the LCG came into being), there was talk about a possible Rail Trail between Lafayette and Opelousas using an abandoned rail line. But that proposal never seemed to go anywhere. I left Lafayette in 1988 and worked for a number of years as a Planner in Maryland. There they had a number of trails (including rail trails) in MD, Virginia, DC & other states nearby. They were highly used and great additions to the areas. Since moving to St. Tammany Parish, I've had a lot time out on the Tammany Trace. It has slowly been expanded to where it now runs from Covington to Abita Springs to Mandeville and on to Lacombe and Slidell. It is a great asset to this parish. It has a volunteer board that pretty much runs it, but it has a quasi-governmental connection as well. You need to tie into to both to be successful.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    I sure would like to see this happen. When I worked in the City of Lafayette Planning Dept. (WAAAAAY before the LCG came into being), there was talk about a possible Rail Trail between Lafayette and Opelousas using an abandoned rail line. But that proposal never seemed to go anywhere. I left Lafayette in 1988 and worked for a number of years as a Planner in Maryland. There they had a number of trails (including rail trails) in MD, Virginia, DC & other states nearby. They were highly used and great additions to the areas. Since moving to St. Tammany Parish, I've had a lot time out on the Tammany Trace. It has slowly been expanded to where it now runs from Covington to Abita Springs to Mandeville and on to Lacombe and Slidell. It is a great asset to this parish. It has a volunteer board that pretty much runs it, but it has a quasi-governmental connection as well. You need to tie into to both to be successful.
    I heard you were spearheading the Minden to Ruston hiking trail? True or false?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    I heard you were spearheading the Minden to Ruston hiking trail? True or false?

Spearheading may be just a little too strong a term. More like wishing. That's kinda like spearheading isn't it? But that would be an awesome trail, what with the rollin' hills and all! On second thought, I think that's a great idea. I'll name it the Zeemeister Rollin' Rail Trail! I'm sure there's some abandoned rail ROW around there somewhere.