Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Reports surfacing....WKU to CUSA

Default Re: Reports surfacing....WKU to CUSA

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    That's a great story and all Kyle....but...we aren't LSU. Never will be. They have resources we will never even come close to reaching.
    Our admin does not have to be LSU, and we certainly do not have to have their resources to have a little bit of people skills and show a warm welcome 'family attitude' to our fans.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    Our admin does not have to be LSU, and we certainly do not have to have their resources to have a little bit of people skills and show a warm welcome 'family attitude' to our fans.
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    Bingo. We don't have to worship LSU over here, I know I don't. However, it doesn't take a Tiger homer to realize they've done many things right, and we should be attempting to model some of their road to success. Took us 20 damn years to get an athletic foundation.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

That's a great story and all Kyle....but...we aren't LSU. Never will be. They have resources we will never even come close to reaching. Even a school we would love to emulate in Texas A&M, will never even get close to what Texas will always be. It's the natural order of things. The whole reason we have Scott Farmer is because the guy is dirt cheap. But our budget is increasing, as is our need for someone with a vision. I don't think Farmer is that guy. He may have started the ball rolling, but it will take someone with more vision and gumption to get the ball where we want it to be.

I like Scott Farmer as a person, even though I feel just as hurt as anyone else that we were all duped in thinking he was the next great AD that was going to lead us to the land of milk and honey. Farmer has always been very courteous to me and has always answered my emails. But...I don't need to walked around by the hand and shown everything like I'm somebody to think someone is a great AD. In fact if I never met the man, and he got things done...I could not care less how nice or personable he was. We ask for performance...not a likable person. Most of those 28 National titles (22 to be exact) that you attribute to Joe Dean are in men and women's track. That won't pay the light bill. It's nice to say..28 national titles...but honestly, there is very little Joe Dean did that caused any of those 28 titles. LSU track has always been a pipeline to Olympic talent, they were winning titles in the 30's. Baseball had it's own AD in Skip Bertman. Joe Dean was getting a gold watch to sit behind a desk and say to people like Kyle..."High...I'm Joe Dean."

Though Joe Dean was highly successful, many people could have done his job just as well if not better than he did. We all know it was Skip Bertman (and possibly some form of pharmaceutical aid that has been linked to testicles shrinking) that made baseball so successful. He was also the AD during a stretch of time that saw LSU win one...one...SEC championship in football. We all know it was more Saban that got LSU off and running as a national powerhouse. For all Bertman could do...Baseball does not drive the bus. Nor does basketball.

I don't want a Joe Dean, cause it seems like he was very unsuccessful when it came to actually advancing a university's athletic program, especially one with as much resources as LSU. In fact...this situation is eerily similar to where we are...now. We have a nice guy in office who is not capable of getting us to where we need to be, and a head coach in football that is having to do everything himself in order to move the football program, and athletic program forward as a whole, because nothing was done by the administration. Dean hired both Gerry Dinardo and Curley Halman, but had the foresight to hire Nick Saban...or blind luck. I say to hell with the Joe Dean's for AD, we don't need a placeholder, we need a program driver. Give me a pro like Joe Alleva. That is an AD. As much as I like to use him as my foil to Les Miles in all my hypothetical situations...the guy is the epitome of an Athletic Director. The guy is taking LSU into the stratosphere. Let's not look around for a guy with a great smile and someone who shows people around this place and that place and makes you feel wanted...I want a ____ing professional. I want someone who can actually direct our program. Our budget is increasing...as is our brand awareness. The iron is red hot...time to strike. I don't want to have beers with our AD...I want an AD that gets us to the land of milk and honey...or as you guys call it...CUSA.
    Hawk, your dislike of BWK and hatred of LSU have blinded you to the actual point of his post.

This is for everyone on this board, LSU has not hurt this university or athletic program since 1984. Everyone needs to quit blaming them for OUR shortcomings. Ray Athemaunt did more destruction to this university than any one entity could have ever done. LSU isn't keeping us out of any conference other than the SEC. Quit blaming them it comes off as pathetic an jealous.

As far as not having LSU money, your wrong there too Hawk. Do we have LSU money right now? No, but LSU didn't have money either until they started TAF as an independent entity. Ray alienated enough rich cajun supporters with the death penalty and they took their money East to Baton Rouge. If RCAF were aggressively soliciting funds and the master plan would have been released after the 2011 Nola Bowl we would have a $25 million dollar budget today. But neither has happened, RCAF doesn't actively recruit new members or gives current members any incentive to donate more funds other than saying we need you to blindly give more money. Guess what, some RCAF members have blindly doubled their donations because we are winning. If we were given something to truly get behind ie Master Plan you would see people triple their donations, get more friends to donate and the budget would double in less than 5 years IMO.

UL has been UL's biggest enemy and UL has billions of dollars sitting in Acadian waiting to be donated.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

...I want an AD that gets us to the land of milk and honey...or as you guys call it...CUSA.
    Dude, CUSA is no way the land of milk and honey.

That would be any MAJOR conference.

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Hawk, your dislike of BWK and hatred of LSU have blinded you to the actual point of his post.

This is for everyone on this board, LSU has not hurt this university or athletic program since 1984. Everyone needs to quit blaming them for OUR shortcomings. Ray Athemaunt did more destruction to this university than any one entity could have ever done. LSU isn't keeping us out of any conference other than the SEC. Quit blaming them it comes off as pathetic an jealous.

As far as not having LSU money, your wrong there too Hawk. Do we have LSU money right now? No, but LSU didn't have money either until they started TAF as an independent entity. Ray alienated enough rich cajun supporters with the death penalty and they took their money East to Baton Rouge. If RCAF were aggressively soliciting funds and the master plan would have been released after the 2011 Nola Bowl we would have a $25 million dollar budget today. But neither has happened, RCAF doesn't actively recruit new members or gives current members any incentive to donate more funds other than saying we need you to blindly give more money. Guess what, some RCAF members have blindly doubled their donations because we are winning. If we were given something to truly get behind ie Master Plan you would see people triple their donations, get more friends to donate and the budget would double in less than 5 years IMO.

UL has been UL's biggest enemy and UL has billions of dollars sitting in Acadian waiting to be donated.
    You summed it up nicely.

Exactly, been saying for years there is a ton of money in Acadiana area, we just need a vision/plan. Millions yes, billions not sure about that....

LSU has not hurt this university or athletic program since 1984. Everyone needs to quit blaming them for OUR shortcomings. Ray Athemaunt did more destruction to this university than any one entity could have ever done. LSU isn't keeping us out of any conference other than the SEC. Quit blaming them it comes off as pathetic an jealous.

Preach it, Brotha C4L!

Lafayette set a retail sales record of $5.71 billion in 2012, in a bad economy. There is plenty of money in this area. Just need to hire an AD that has even the slightest clue how to get it.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The University is selling a product. Everyone in the athletic department, from the towel boys to the trainers to the coaches to the administration should understand that and be willing to sell the product at every opportunity. Never miss an opportunity to be inclusive to any and all, whether they are fans or not. It hurts no one, and it just may result in the making of a fan.

This point may be been BWK's best post ever.

You can't sell anything without a few young( and I mean less than 65) sales guys. The current staff couldn't sell firewood and matches to an Eskimo!

I thought I have been pretty cordial to Kyle since he has been back thank you very much. I got the point of his post...just thought it was dead wrong. I get it...I just don't agree with it.

1984? Go ahead and read the minutes for the Tucker Commission and see if you still have that opinion. Pay special attention to what Mr. Wharton thinks about us. Kyle was supposed to read those and get back to me...never did. LSU deserves blame in my book, but my post was actually about us never reaching their level of resources...that won't happen. You can call it pathetic if that makes you feel better about it...but to me it's just being pragmatic. Would we have ever seen Ray Authement if the LSU and other assorted racist schools backed NCAA investigation was never done? That my friend is called...causality. Authement being hired...was a response to that investigation and the circumstances surrounding which we all know were 100 % grade A bull____. Therefore, without the first event, there may or may not have been a second event. They are directly related in every way. Blame is correct, regardless of how much you want to bury your head in the sand and believe it doesn't.

Lafayette has plenty of money...we...DON'T. That's a fact of life we will always have to deal with. Call me pathetic, or an _______ but that is the bible truth, and each and everyone of you know that it is. That doesn't mean we can't be competitive. Just like I said about Texas A&M...they will never have UT money...but that is not a death sentence. The TAF became what it is today in 1987...LSU was irrelevant on the national scene in football for a large portion of that period up until the late 90's after Dinardo left. I was a child at this time...there were no LSU hats, Starter Jackets, or anything like that at the elementary school, and high school I went to. It's almost like they didn't exist. So the TAF was not a gateway to instant success in football like so many here have stated. It took time and actual leadership. You and everyone else are asking the RCAF to do in 3-4 years what it took over a decade for the TAF to figure out.

$25 million dollar budget...that seems a bit far fetched. Do you have any data to support that? I myself went from $100 to $500 a year in 2012. 2013 is still a question because I am trying to purchase a house and I want to finish that up before I donate for the year. I can agree with the tripling of donations with a master plan, but I don't see that many outside of the group that is already members donating. I could be wrong on that...I would love to see some data to the contrary. $25 million is a bit high, with a big push after both winning campaigns in 2011 and 2012...I could see $20 million easy. That's pretty good and would outpace La Tech in the race to the magic $20 million mark. For us to double the RCAF alone won't be able to do it for a long time. To get that done we need a massive athletic fee on the students that is 100% for the Athletic Budget. It's how all the schools who are leaving us in the dust are doing it. We cannot live on bread alone.

I agree that the administration and our own backwards thinking has been a huge hindrance, but please, don't paint those purple and nacho cheese pigs in the capitol as saints...because they aren't. And about the billions...two words...Acadian Ambulance. Their plane is painted purple and gold...it will never be painted red and white...that is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    The University is selling a product. Everyone in the athletic department, from the towel boys to the trainers to the coaches to the administration should understand that and be willing to sell the product at every opportunity. Never miss an opportunity to be inclusive to any and all, whether they are fans or not. It hurts no one, and it just may result in the making of a fan.

This point may be been BWK's best post ever.
    That's great...the University is selling a product. It takes more than that to run an athletic department though. We could have the best salesman in the world...if we do not have a professional athletic director...we will stay where we are. If all of you want to be ta-ta'ed and made to feel special...I don't think an athletic department is the place to find it. I want a winner, don't care how they do it. I want a master plan, don't care if they don't let me know about it until it's finished. I want to get out of the SBC, don't care if they don't let me know about their dealings with other conferences. Just.Get.It.Done.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Reports surfacing....WKU to CUSA

The bottom line is Farmer has dozens of opportunities to mingle with and win over the little guys. Get them to want to be part of the 'team'. He chooses to isolate himself. His word is worthless, his goals fuzzy.

Yet he is NOT the reason we suck in this conference alignment. His boss did not provide him with the urgency that we were at a critical point. His boss to be fair is just beginning to get the fact we have missed the boat, and are praying for a lifeboat to get to the sailed ship.

So who's fault is it? It is the entire UL family. Some few of us realize athletics is the key for growth, most simply think it is a nice thing, or a burden to put up with.

The UL family frankly are getting exactly what they want. We keep mediocre and bad coaches too long, bad AD's too long. There is no demand to exceed or leave, simply do well enough not to make us look bad and you can stay on board, after all we pay you almost nothing, provide you with no tools.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    The bottom line is Farmer has dozens of opportunities to mingle with and win over the little guys. Get them to want to be part of the 'team'. He chooses to isolate himself. His word is worthless, his goals fuzzy.

Yet he is NOT the reason we suck in this conference alignment. His boss did not provide him with the urgency that we were at a critical point. His boss to be fair is just beginning to get the fact we have missed the boat, and are praying for a lifeboat to get to the sailed ship.

So who's fault is it? It is the entire UL family. Some few of us realize athletics is the key for growth, most simply think it is a nice thing, or a burden to put up with.

The UL family frankly are getting exactly what they want. We keep mediocre and bad coaches too long, bad AD's too long. There is no demand to exceed or leave, simply do well enough not to make us look bad and you can stay on board, after all we pay you almost nothing, provide you with no tools.
    Or maybe the big boss was duped into thinking we were not ready by Farmer? Savoie has on two occasions done Farmer's job, keeping important coaches from flying the coop because Farmer was sitting on his duff. He is not an athletic director he is a placeholder playing an AD. AD's don't let situations like this escalate to the point at which they are. They take care of them, they eat them for breakfast.

I work with someone who is just like him, they play the part, keep the boss happy, until ____ gets real, and the big boss has to step in and fix everything because they are incapable of dealing with the situation correctly, all they know is playing dumb or passing the buck. They are as useless as wadded up wet toilet paper. The bigger concern is why Savoie puts up with it. I ask that same question everyday. Generally, it's apathy or they think that person is full of potential, or they just flat out like them and don't want to fire them. Who knows. I have too many grey hairs from dealing with it in my professional life...I'm sure it's doing a number on our coaches.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10