Thread: Big East, ESPN agree to TV deal

Default Big East, ESPN agree to TV deal

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...tv-rights-deal

From 14 million a year to 1.8 million a year in just two years. If they could have only seen the future, their greed and common sense would have told the Big East's presidents what to do. I wonder if ESPN just doesn't like some of the teams coming into the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...tv-rights-deal

From 14 million a year to 1.8 million a year in just two years. If they could have only seen the future, their greed and common sense would have told the Big East's presidents what to do. I wonder if ESPN just doesn't like some of the teams coming into the Big East.
    They get their just come uppance.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Big East, ESPN agree to TV deal

Hope that the Catholic Cardinals are as smart as the Big East Schools (the Catholic schools leaving smart on their part) lol

Can somebody give the list of schools that are/will be in the Big East

-the different web sites have all different schools at different times!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Can somebody give the list of schools that are/will be in the Big East

-the different web sites have all different schools at different times!!!

http://www.bigeast.org/AbouttheBIGEA...embership.aspx

Football Conference

Present: Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, USF, Syracuse, Temple

Joining July 1, 2013: Central Florida, Houston, Memphis, SMU

Leaving June 30, 2013: Pittsburgh, Syracuse

Joining July 1, 2014: Tulane, East Carolina

Joining July 1, 2015: United States Naval Academy

Football Conference as of July 1, 2015: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Navy, USF, SMU, Temple, Tulane

All Sports

Present: Cincinnati, Connecticut, DePaul, Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John's, Syracuse, USF, Villanova

Joining July 1, 2013: Central Florida, Houston, Memphis, SMU, Temple

Leaving June 30, 2013: Pittsburgh, Syracuse

Joining July 1, 2014: Tulane

As of July 1, 2015: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Houston, Memphis, USF, SMU, Temple, Tulane

Blog Entries

While not as drastic a drop as the Big East, I predict the next ESPN contracts with CUSA and the Sun Belt, will be smaller as well.

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

As of Tuesday afternoon the Big East member CEO's have not voted to approve the TV contract....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    As of Tuesday afternoon the Big East member CEO's have not voted to approve the TV contract....
    They are still chanting E-Gypt us.

I personally haven't heard it, but I bet D-Nile is deeply embedded in the chant.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

I personally haven't heard it, but I bet D-Nile is deeply embedded in the chant.
    Wow.

I would actually think the Sunbelt would increase. Only because we only currently get approx. 100K per school. Nowhere to go but up.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: Big East, ESPN agree to TV deal

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    I would actually think the Sunbelt would increase. Only because we only currently get approx. 100K per school. Nowhere to go but up.
    Yea they can go down, losing almost twenty four million potential viewers and adding about eight in GSU.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Yea there is more competition for leagues out there now. CBS, NBC, Fox all fighting to chip away at the ESPN virtual monopoly in college broadcasting. They might have a little leverage depending on how much the others want into this league.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Yea they can go down, losing almost twenty four million potential viewers and adding about eight in GSU.
    I still say SBC goes up. Not because we improved, but because our current deal is that bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    I still say SBC goes up. Not because we improved, but because our current deal is that bad.
    I don't see that happening Slappy. The Sun Belt lost the Florida market, picked up Atlanta and San Antonio markets with GSU and Texas State. If the Big East contract is devalued, then every conference considered lower tier will also be devalued because Market will be set.

---Might just be T-Bine that the only way for a Big East member to succeed is to secede!!!! Oh don't let the green grass fool you

but for the Cajuns, like our coastal marsh, the grass is dying

-Like your projection of the target reference ---Shoot for the Stars and we will at least hit the Moon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I don't see that happening Slappy. The Sun Belt lost the Florida market, picked up Atlanta and San Antonio markets with GSU and Texas State. If the Big East contract is devalued, then every conference considered lower tier will also be devalued because Market will be set.
    Remember when the CUSA/MWC merger was going to bring in a TV contract that would rival the Big East's ESPN deal? Those were the days.

While football is the driver of the various alignment changes, the Big East is losing market in football, and losing a lot of premium basketball schools. The New Big East ain't the recent Big East.

Same for C USA, but in the SBC case we are also losing much more market. In spite of Crazy's comment Tx State does not belong to the San Antonio market, more closely aligned with Austin. Still in either case it is like SLU claiming either or both Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Right now the best we can hope for is a non decline or slight increase, not worth mentioning either way.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    T. I don't disagree with your logic. But, you also have to consider what the SBC lost compared to the Big East.

The Big East just accepted a seven year, 130 million dollar deal. Two years ago, They turned down a deal worth 1.17 billion dollars.

Remember, a huge portion of what money that the Big East lost was due to the decimation of the best basketball league in the country.

Here are the teams and the markets that the Big East lost . . .

Pittsburgh - (Respectable football, arguably Top 25 basketball program, Pittsburgh market (23))
    Syracuse - (Mediocre football, Top 10 basketball program, small market, but large alumni group in NYC (81st market))
    Louisville - (BCS football team this year, Top 15 basketball program, 50th market))
    Notre Dame - Basketball only, completely unique market as they have alumni all over the Midwest, but especially Chicago (3rd market)
    Rutgers - Decent football, decent basketball, I read they have more alumni in NYC than any other school
    Depaul - Basketball only, 3rd media market
    Georgetown - Basketball only, top 15 program, 9th media market
    Marquette - Basketball only, top 25 program, 35th market
    Providence - basketball only, 52nd market
    Seton Hall - basketball only, Jersey school, large east coast presence
    St. Johns - basketball only, NYC, largest media market in the country
    Villanova - basketball only, Top 25 program,

Also, starting in 2014, the league will get $20 mill/per year for football and men's basketball TV rights. In 2013, before the Catholic 7 basketball schools leave. ESPN is paying them $10 mill/basketball rights alone.

So, I think it is difficult to extrapolate from the Big East to determine the SBC contract.

What we know is that the SBC contract will be the smallest in FBS football. I just think it will be worth more than 100K per year, per team. However, Benson may be faced with the tough choice of leaving ESPN for NBC Sports, since it is a new network desperate for content.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

The next TV contracts for CUSA and the SBC will be almost the same for per school revenue.

While not as drastic a drop as the Big East, I predict the next ESPN contracts with CUSA and the Sun Belt, will be smaller as well.
    I expect this also and hope the CUSA drop is bigger than the SB, at least while we are still in it!