Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Spirit of 76 Video (1976 Football Season)

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

Thanks Turbine. That was my freshman year at UL. Nice way to start your first semester. Then it continued into basketball season.

Default Spirit of 76

5 years before I was born, but we beat La Tech at home, rocked the script Cajuns on our helmets as the greatest helmet design we will ever have, and we had a boss Acadiana flag at midfield. We had dreams. #FireScottFarmer #ScriptCajunsorGTFO

Edit: Our end zones were also ____ing amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    5 years before I was born, but we beat La Tech at home, rocked the script Cajuns on our helmets as the greatest helmet design we will ever have, and we had a boss Acadiana flag at midfield. We had dreams. #FireScottFarmer #ScriptCajunsorGTFO
    I was a freshman in the band in 76. That was an awesome season. We had over 30K for homecoming that season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    I was a freshman in the band in 76. That was an awesome season. We had over 30K for homecoming that season.
    Was that year one for Cajun Field?

Default Re: Spirit of 76

Upon further review, Script Cajuns was not worn in 76. Statement still stands...we will never have a better helmet design.

Was that year one for Cajun Field?
    Cajun Field opened in 1971 if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Cajun Field opened in 1971 if I remember correctly.
    Cajun Field was scheduled to open in. 1970, but was not ready. Opened with a win over Santa Clara in 1971. Some of my best experiences were at McNaspy in the 60's

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Cajun Field was scheduled to open in. 1970, but was not ready. Opened with a win over Santa Clara in 1971. Some of my best experiences were at McNaspy in the 60's
    ---Damn--Farmer's fault

Had posted this a long while back but the first tackle was made by Tommy Rodgers and the first defensive TD by Charlie Fox--- (McNaspy story) the year after I finished playing I was in the lower stands as we played Lamar---my buddy took his cigarette lighter and lit the Lamar Cardinal on fire

it was put out as we all threw our drinks on him---Nobody could tell the cops how it happened---CRAZY!!!

Before my time, but when I was very young in the 60's we went to a circus there a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ---Damn--Farmer's fault

Had posted this a long while back but the first tackle was made by Tommy Rodgers and the first defensive TD by Charlie Fox--- (McNaspy story) the year after I finished playing I was in the lower stands as we played Lamar---my buddy took his cigarette lighter and lit the Lamar Cardinal on fire

it was put out as we all threw our drinks on him---Nobody could tell the cops how it happened---CRAZY!!!

I was about 8 years old at the time and I witnessed the guy trying to set the cardinal suit on fire. My father was yelling from the stands for someone to stop him. I remember that like it was yesterday!!

Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video

Quote Originally Posted by ltee67 View Post
    Sam Robertson ( defense) and Larry Zeno ( offense) may have been the best coordinators of their time. We made adjustments throughout the games, until we found the right offensive plays and the right defensive alignement.
    Sam was a guy you really wanted to play for. He got the best out of everybody. I was hurt for the first 6 or 7 games. I can't tell you how many times he told me c'mon man, we need you down the stretch. Pretty encouraging stuff considering I wasn't going to be a starter and mainly played special teams in the last 4 games. Great guy.

Upon further review, Script Cajuns was not worn in 76. Statement still stands...we will never have a better helmet design.
    ---"Upon further review"

Hawk, you are not one of those guys that wear the black stripe shirts are you???

Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video (1976 Football Season)

Yes that was when the band played the fight song correctly! lol

Still remember Terry "Shingles" Bradshaw getting knocked unconscious 5 or 6 times, given a whiff of ammonia and sent back on the field. He broke every GSC quarterback/offensive record that night and we STILL won the game. AMAZING!! At McNaspy, 1970, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    Still remember Terry "Shingles" Bradshaw getting knocked unconscious 5 or 6 times, given a whiff of ammonia and sent back on the field. He broke every GSC quarterback/offensive record that night and we STILL won the game. AMAZING!! At McNaspy, 1970, I think.

Those honors of TB's exiting periodically from the contest can be attributed to one Dickie Mart a DB from DeLaSalle H S in N O

My biggest fear of losing consciousness was not in game hits but rather scrimmages against our defense---DA Head Hunters---and the the leader was Dwight Sevin who almost made it with the Saints---bunch of stories---Coaches were always stressing how we can overcome physical obstacles and that it was all in our heads

A girl on campus was having severe phychological problems and was seeing consolers

he reasoned that it was all in her head!!! lol

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    I was at that game. They were found guilty of holding often. It was 15 yards in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Those honors of TB's exiting periodically from the contest can be attributed to one Dickie Mart a DB from DeLaSalle H S in N O

My biggest fear of losing consciousness was not in game hits but rather scrimmages against our defense---DA Head Hunters---and the the leader was Dwight Sevin who almost made it with the Saints---bunch of stories---Coaches were always stressing how we can overcome physical obstacles and that it was all in our heads

A girl on campus was having severe phychological problems and was seeing consolers

he reasoned that it was all in her head!!! lol

I played against Dwight in high school, and he was the real deal' in addition to being a genuine nice guy

Ryckman played for tech that year. Must have been a sophomore.

Blog Entries

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns "Spirit of 76" on YouTube.

GEAUX CAJUNS at the 6:58 mark.

40 Years

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3