What is the world coming to?

Default Re: Virginia Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    What is the world coming to?
    What a truly horrible thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel
    _ What a truly horrible thing _
    Unbelievable that V Tech could not warn its students for two hours after the first shooting. Classes were going on as usual after the first shooting and then the same guy showed up and killed more people. There should be an emergency warning system in place at all college campuses. V Tech sent emails to the students explaining that there had been a shooting.... Just not good enough.

Very sad.... Hard to believe crazy people like that live amongst us, waiting to explode....

Ragin' Cajuns

Think about it though, what if it had happened at UL? We don't have any sort of PA system that I know of. Granted we have a MUCH smaller campus size wise, and about 10,000 less students. It'd still be hard. The only way would be sending emails and having the police running around everywhere. They probably could've done something better, but what school is really prepared for something like that other than maybe UT?

I think we could work on the screening process for buying guns. This coming from a guy who sells guns regularly. (I work at Academy here in Lafayette)

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander
    _ Think about it though, what if it had happened at UL? We don't have any sort of PA system that I know of. Granted we have a MUCH smaller campus size wise, and about 10,000 less students. It'd still be hard. The only way would be sending emails and having the police running around everywhere. They probably could've done something better, but what school is really prepared for something like that other than maybe UT? _
    I agree. I just hope that such warning systems can be set up on college campuses. Imagine being at work and not knowing that two hours pior a crazy man busted in to your building and shot and killed two people on a different floor and IS ON THE LOOSE! That is a lot smaller area than an entire college campus of course, but something should be done. Maybe give every professor a beeper that they have to carry for emergencies so they can get the news and tell their students. Something is better than nothing....

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Virginia Tech tragedy

Yeah. I mean, couldn't the police have rode around making announcements to stay locked down though? I'm guessing thats what would happen at UL.

Default Re: Virginia Tech tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander
    _ Yeah. I mean, couldn't the police have rode around making announcements to stay locked down though? I'm guessing thats what would happen at UL. _
    It's easy to play Monday morning QB. I believe the university could have done a much better job but just weren't prepared for such a thing. Also there has to an amount of shock and disbelif. Assuming this guy is a foreign student how about doing a better job of screening who comes into this country? Weren't all of the 9/11 hijackers here on student visas? I dealt with several foriegn student professors and they acted like this country owed them something. Try that at the Universtiy of Ryiad.

Default Re: Virginia Tech tragedy

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket