Thread: SBC weighing its options for expansion

1. Default SBC weighing its options for expansion

As other college conferences continue to settle, shake, settle and shake some more, the Sun Belt Conference -- to which UL belongs -- continues to assess its own defection-replacement and potential expansion plans.

Default Re: SBC weighing its options for expansion

This gives me te warm fuzzies.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: SBC weighing its options for expansion

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    As other college conferences continue to settle, shake, settle and shake some more, the Sun Belt Conference -- to which UL belongs -- continues to assess its own defection-replacement and potential expansion plans.

As usual, Benson talks about adding 1-AA schools. Not one single thing about getting TV revenues.

I want us out of here!!

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post
    As usual, Benson talks about adding 1-AA schools. Not one single thing about getting TV revenues.

I want us out of here!!
    All Benson cares about is preserving the conference regardless of how crappy it is. As long as there is a conference, quality of memebeship is irrelevent, he keeps his paycheck coming in.

Geaux is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Benson your heart is in the right place but the reputation of the SBC can't afford to wait for all of these FCS schools to "grow up" in the FBS. You guys are right, we need more TV revenue in the SBC and more bowl tie-ins befre we add these FCS teams. Lock the doors of the SBC to all FCS newibes. This should not be an incubator for FCS to FBS. He's killing the SBC. I want us out at any cost....MWC, CUSA, or whatever.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    All Benson cares about is preserving the conference regardless of how crappy it is. As long as there is a conference, quality of memebeship is irrelevent, he keeps his paycheck coming in.
    We all know Benson has little choice. Benson's problems are Benson's problems. If UL is trying to adopt the SBC's problems as our own... the writing is on the wall. If I found out UL people were wasting their/our time being a part of the "save the SBC" team... I will withdraw from UL immediately. Talk about a lost cause.

Scott and every person of influence at UL had better be placing 100% of their effort in finalizing the Master Plan (and the presentation), get a disgustingly ambitious resume constructed... put two bowling balls in T-Joe's pants... and start walking into every premium future conference wish list member's office... and wagging our "we'll take no prisoners" attitude regarding our future athletic prowess in their face.

This is the time to make hay. You do not jump for cover and see how everyone else's hay bales turn out. It is time to go on the hunt. And yes... we have to commit... NOW!... Make the massive public commitment to athletics... NOW! We are approaching the "Conference Cliff"... it is the 11th hour... get the deal done!

Get UL in a position for 3 new conference invites... RIGHT NOW Scott and T-Joe!!!!!!!!!!! No more paralysis by analysis. Get on with the exceptionally aggressive new athletics mission. Right.... now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post

I want us out of here!!
    Benson has no leverage Lafitte! If you are a network, are you willing pay more money to broadcast a conference with a lineup such as this article has mentioned? This conference is DOA as far as its brand is concerned.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    We all know Benson has little choice. Benson's problems are Benson's problems. If UL is trying to adopt the SBC's problems as our own... the writing is on the wall. If I found out UL people were wasting their/our time being a part of the "save the SBC" team... I will withdraw from UL immediately. Talk about a lost cause.

Scott and every person of influence at UL had better be placing 100% of their effort in finalizing the Master Plan (and the presentation), get a disgustingly ambitious resume constructed... put two bowling balls in T-Joe's pants... and start walking into every premium future conference wish list member's office... and wagging our "we'll take no prisoners" attitude regarding our future athletic prowess in their face.

This is the time to make hay. You do not jump for cover and see how everyone else's hay bales turn out. It is time to go on the hunt. And yes... we have to commit... NOW!... Make the massive public commitment to athletics... NOW! We are approaching the "Conference Cliff"... it is the 11th hour... get the deal done!

Get UL in a position for 3 new conference invites... RIGHT NOW Scott and T-Joe!!!!!!!!!!! No more paralysis by analysis. Get on with the exceptionally aggressive new athletics mission. Right.... now!
    + whatever number the national debt will be in 5 years

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

That article was depressing to read. Also the print edition has a breakdown of the alleged canididates. Two things that stand out to me are that Benson already seems to have it in his mind that he will add two and they will be from the east, namely Application State and GaSouthern. I don't see how either of those benefit us. In addtion the article describes Mew Mexico State as being "out of the Belt's footprint". How can they not tag Application State with that same title? I don't see freeking podunk Boone, NC as being in our footprint.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: SBC weighing its options for expansion

New Mexico State is further from TxSt than those other schools to the current Sun Belt eastern block. Idaho may as well be Hawaii.

If I had to take a newbie and I vomit every time I say it, then the Far East is better for UL than either SDSU or Lamar. None are good, none. Last week North Dakota brought more fans to Frisco Texas, than SHSU. We talking North Dakota to Frisco, vs about two hundred miles for SHSU.

I think Benson does not want NMSU or Idaho for football only, and uses the footprint as a straw dog. He wants all sports teams.

None of this is good.

Get the hell out of the Sunbelt..NOW. And don't e-mail a powerpoint.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    ..... I don't see how either of those benefit us. In addtion the article describes Mew Mexico State as being "out of the Belt's footprint". How can they not tag Application State with that same title? I don't see freeking podunk Boone, NC as being in our footprint.
    Benson's first priority is to keep the league afloat. He will not let the league stand at 8. I think it should, but he doesn't have that luxury.

Secondly, If you look at the SBC as a southeastern league as most of the other SBC members do, Boone makes sense and Las Cruces does not.

Lastly, we all just need to stop worrying about who in the heck is in this league. We can't control that 100%. We can and should go throught this league like grease through a goose on an annual basis regardless of who is in it. Bring 45k+ to the NOLA Bowl and enjoy our awesomeness. We need to act and think like a major program in exile. We are not defined by the conference in which we reside.

The SBC is temporary. Our glory will be forever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Benson's first priority is to keep the league afloat. He will not let the league stand at 8. I think it should, but he doesn't have that luxury.

Secondly, If you look at the SBC as a southeastern league as most of the other SBC members do, Boone makes sense and Las Cruces does not.

Lastly, we all just need to stop worrying about who in the heck is in this league. We can't control that 100%. We can and should go throught this league like grease through a goose on an annual basis regardless of who is in it. Bring 45k+ to the NOLA Bowl and enjoy our awesomeness. We need to act and think like a major program in exile. We are not defined by the conference in which we reside.

The SBC is temporary. Our glory will be forever.
    You are absolutely defined by the conference you are aligned with; TV contract, Bowl Tie Ins and Schedule. I've been trying to explain that to you but you just don't get it! You are looking at it from a fans point of view, but from the outside looking in UL's brand is damaged short term or long term by programs it aligns itself with in the Sun Belt Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    You are absolutely defined by the conference you are aligned with; TV contract, Bowl Tie Ins and Schedule. I've been trying to explain that to you but you just don't get it! You are looking at it from a fans point of view, but from the outside looking in UL's brand is damaged short term or long term by programs it aligns itself with in the Sun Belt Conference.

And no one can use the Boise reasoning here because they were aligned with Nevada, Fresno, and other established programs.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    And no one can use the Boise reasoning here because they were aligned with Nevada, Fresno, and other established programs.
    Boise became known outside of the mountains by 2000, beating Louisville in a bowl game.

From '96-'00, Boise was conference mates in the Big West with Utah State, North Texas, New Mexico State and Idaho for 5 years, Nevada for 3 years, and Arkansas State for 2 years.

We have been conference mates with a very similar lineup for several years and are now winning bowl games over San Diego State and East Carolina.

Boise got into the WAC because the WAC was replacing a group of schools that left to form the MWC. They have since improved their brand to the point where the MWC asked them to join and then begged them to come back.

When there are a group of schools that leave their current conference to form a new league near us, I fully expect a phone call to the league that needs replacements, then we will continue growing our brand in that league till the point we are asked to join the new league.

We are following the Boise path very closely, and as long as we all hold on to the rope, we will get where we want to be eventually.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

An Article like this NOW in the paper can really hurt recruiting --Damn don't even talk about the conference---Need to talk about Wins and attendance---If any conference is mentioned talk about our kicking Big East teams in the Bowls and almost beating Florida and playing OK STATE and a Kansas State win

Don't go there at all ---Just a great IPF and the rest is in the Master video---Housing on campus brand new

Get the volume of the fans at the NO BOWL---that is what sells and needs to be presented!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We are following the Boise path very closely, and as long as we all hold on to the rope, we will get where we want to be eventually.
    The irony is Boise followed UL's path into the Big West.

I still don't believe UL was kicked out.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    An Article like this NOW in the paper can really hurt recruiting --Damn don't even talk about the conference---Need to talk about Wins and attendance---If any conference is mentioned talk about our kicking Big East teams in the Bowls and almost beating Florida and playing OK STATE and a Kansas State win

Don't go there at all ---Just a great IPF and the rest is in the Master video---Housing on campus brand new

Get the volume of the fans at the NO BOWL---that is what sells and needs to be presented!!!

Someone told them about how excited we are to be the next Boise State of the new SBC. That's what we want to sell right now.

I wonder what the Troy people think about the idea of adding Jac State to the Belt. Their relationship to Jac. State is like our relationship with the Monrovians multiplied by about 3 orders of magnitude...